North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

The way things have gone with the LA soccer teams lately, I'm kind of glad the Galaxy choked so hard. There's been so much fan violence this season, especially between the LA teams that having a playoff game would have been an unmitigated disaster.

On the bright side we get two rivalry games for the West semis with Seattle vs. Portland and SKC vs. RSL. SKC and RSL will probably be a giant mess on the field (but only involving the players) as is tradition between those two.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Disappointing showing here tonight. 

I knew our defense was going to be our downfall this season. We can score with the best of them, but can’t play a lick of defense. We’ve shown that all year. 

Then coupled with the fans throwing s*** onto the field and that chant returning. Ugh.

I think we left a pretty bad impression with this game, in terms of the fan base. 

Yes. Yes you did.

One of the reasons I've enjoyed going to Sounders games so much is that there isn't the meathead culture of other pro sports, especially football. Once you inject :censored:s being :censored:s, it degrades the experience for everyone.

MLS could stand on whole to be a little less hipster, but I'd rather dudes drinking IPAs in scarves making terrible jokes than people throwing beer on me and causing stoppage in play. LAFC is going to need to look at its supporter group and make some changes. That nonsense can't continue. It's an embarrassment.

But, by the way, kudos to Mark Geiger. If you're an MLS fan you know that he gets a lot of crap for making games about him. However, he really took control of what could have been a way out-of-control situation and was able to help right the ship. A less-experienced ref could have been way intimidated by the crowd and someone could have gotten really hurt. We're lucky it worked out for the best, all things considered. And, really, the right team won.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, Digby said:

Who can afford to do this? How much money do LAFC fans have?

I think about 3,000 people contributed to it. But at least we can confirm the drainage system works because it soaked up pretty quick. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I know it's not easy to enforce but if you pull this :censored:; you should be banned from all games going forward. 

It's a privilege, not a right. Don't screw :censored: up for the rest of us.....even if we are scarf wearing IPA drinkers ?

/end rant. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 10/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, McCarthy said:

I was at the game and it couldn't get any flow going because the ref blew his whistle every 30 seconds, which I interpreted as New York's strategy. I don't really have a feel for soccer officiating, but he made some atrocious calls a few times. Like the Red Bulls player yanks on the FCC player's jersey, prevents him from getting to the ball, then falls down and the ref awards the ball to New York. It was ridiculous. 

But it was also very Cincinnati to  get down on a bad bounce and bad defense and then show no sense of urgency until it was too late. 

Would've been cool to win the USL on the way out, but knowing that the next time they play it'll be in MLS is a good consolation. 

In the creepiest post of the day, I think I was sitting one row behind you and about three seats to the right.

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. Yes you did.

One of the reasons I've enjoyed going to Sounders games so much is that there isn't the meathead culture of other pro sports, especially football. Once you inject :censored:s being :censored:s, it degrades the experience for everyone.

Thats the thing though: I’ve been to several LAFC games this year and I didn’t see any of this kind of behavior.

I absolutely loved how diverse the crowd was (every ethnicity, more women than I’ve ever seen at a men’s sporting event, and tons of families with children), how there were no fights (I’ve never been to an NFL game where there wasn’t at least one fight) and we didn’t even heckle opposing fans. 

LAFC is going to have to work hard to get rid of that abhorrent behavior displayed last night and I think it’ll take a couple of seasons. It’s one of the downsides of tapping into that huge soccer fan base that lives in Los Angeles.

On one hand you get that awesome, non-stop singing and dancing (and I mean that literally. The 3252 never stops singing and dancing.) which creates a terrific game atmosphere (by far the best crowd I’ve ever been apart of). 

But these fans, who are fans of Liga MX and other Latin America leagues originally, come from places where this behavior is the norm. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Then it's really a shame that on one of their biggest stages, a very noticeable percentage (which I recognize is a minority) ruined things for everyone. :censored: like that keeps families away, and families are how you build long-term support for a new team.

LAFC got so much right this season and I have every confidence they'll sort out the supporters section too.

Edit:

https://giant.gfycat.com/CarefulCheapCentipede.webm

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm an LAFC season ticket-holder and I can't begin to adequately describe how profoundly disappointed I was in the absolutely abhorrent behavior I saw on display last night at Banc of California Stadium. It was unlike anything I'd witnessed at an LAFC match prior to yesterday.

A joint statement in response to last night's incident has been released by LAFC President and Owner Tom Penn, as well as the 3252 Independent Supporters Union President Josef Zacher.

Statement from LAFC and The 32352 Independent Supporters Union    

These words are a welcome first step in addressing the problem on display last night, but both the team and supporters union have to now back said words up with concrete action. This has to be nipped in the bud... NOW

23 hours ago, fnz said:

In the creepiest post of the day, I think I was sitting one row behind you and about three seats to the right.

HA! We were in 124. We didn't sit there in the second half because my friend had two dry seats in 121. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Looks like Louisville will get to defend their USL Cup title from last year as they are now set to host Phoenix Rising (who upset the top seed in the west Orange County SC) in the USL Cup Championship

Signature intentionally left blank

It's amazing what the Crew have been able to do on the field the last two years with an absentee owner who's been trying to sabotage the team. I want them to win the MLS Cup just for the awkwardity of the moment. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

32 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It's amazing what the Crew have been able to do on the field the last two years with an absentee owner who's been trying to sabotage the team. I want them to win the MLS Cup just for the awkwardity of the moment. 

Agreed. Plus, the fans who've had to deal with it, and the players and coaches who soldiered on with the cloud of uncertainty hanging abouve, deserve it too.

Also not to encourage violent pitch invaders but if Precourt managed to show up I hope someone might jump him at midfield as he walks out to lift the trophy.

I didn't watch anything religiously but caught some fun soccer over the weekend. Looked like attendance wasn't great, though. I always have trouble looking past the weirdness of the playoff structure.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

Agreed. Plus, the fans who've had to deal with it, and the players and coaches who soldiered on with the cloud of uncertainty hanging abouve, deserve it too.

Also not to encourage violent pitch invaders but if Precourt managed to show up I hope someone might jump him at midfield as he walks out to lift the trophy.

I didn't watch anything religiously but caught some fun soccer over the weekend. Looked like attendance wasn't great, though. I always have trouble looking past the weirdness of the playoff structure.

The snake won't be anywhere near Columbus, but if he were I'm sure his box would end up looking like Nick Rimando's goal last weekend. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived