North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

T&Ps to @DG_Now.

I was there. I've never attended a game with as much drama. It's the reason you see live sports, you know?

Sucks the home team lost, but Portland played very well and deserved the win.

Shootouts are the best and the worst. I wouldn't trade 2016 for last night, at all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I was there. I've never attended a game with as much drama. It's the reason you see live sports, you know?

Sucks the home team lost, but Portland played very well and deserved the win.

Shootouts are the best and the worst. I wouldn't trade 2016 for last night, at all.

Yup! It sure is. I feel that way about 2016 too......

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

56 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yup! It sure is. I feel that way about 2016 too......

At least Toronto followed with the greatest MLS season of all time the year after, and vindication over Seattle. Thats pretty good.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

At least Toronto followed with the greatest MLS season of all time the year after, and vindication over Seattle. Thats pretty good.

Admittedly, that is why 2016 is easier to take in hindsight.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

6 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Sporting's through to the West Final! Good lord, what a sphincter tightening game.

Oh good. I hope they beat the :censored: out of Portland.

Nope, not bitter at all.

Just saw on the news the Amazon will put one of it's new headquarters in the Long Island City section of New York City. Isn't that the same part of the city that NYCFC is trying to build a stadium? Would Amazon planting their flag in Long Island City effect NYCFC's chances of getting a stadium in any way?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

7 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Just saw on the news the Amazon will put one of it's new headquarters in the Long Island City section of New York City. Isn't that the same part of the city that NYCFC is trying to build a stadium? Would Amazon planting their flag in Long Island City effect NYCFC's chances of getting a stadium in any way?

No, I really don’t think so. 

Two of the rumored NYCFC locations over the years have been adjacent to Long Island City, but it seems unlikely that Amazon is looking for the same kind of parcel that NYCFC is.

We don’t yet know Amazon’s plans, if they want a centralized campus or will simply lease a lot of the existing office space already there or under construction.  They might not even be in the market for one consolidated piece of real estate.  And even if they are, there’s a rumor that Citibank will not be renewing its lease on the original (and for years only) skyscraper in LIC, which might leave a perfect vacuum for Amazon. 

So no, I don’t see it as impacting NYCFC’s stadium push, except in as much as it spurs more developers to jump in to an already-crowded real estate market. 

So, the financing plan for a proposed soccer-specific stadium in St. Louis, Missouri is beginning to take shape and, in fact, be acted upon. The facility would be home to a Major League Soccer expansion franchise that members of the Taylor family - the money behind Enterprise Holdings - and World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh are hoping to secure.  

According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch and KMOV-TV, the nine-person Taylor-Kavanaugh group would pay $250 million in cash to build the stadium, with Carolyn Kindle Betz - executive director of Enterprise Holdings Foundation - going so far as to say that the potential MLS investor/operators had no plans to borrow money for the construction.

In exchange, the group is asking for help from city and state officials in the form of free land and tax breaks, including:

* free use of land upon which to build the stadium
* a full tax exemption on stadium construction materials;
* a 50% break on ticket taxes (with the 50% collected reportedly being set aside to pay for future stadium improvements);
* a 3% tax on stadium goods (reportedly dedicated towards backing construction bonds);

* a $30 million tax break from the state.

Yesterday, the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority of the City of St. Louis approved two of the aforementioned tax breaks.

First, the authority agreed to send an application to the State of Missouri Development Finance Board asking for a contribution tax credit of up to $30 million over two years. The development board, which is scheduled to meet next month, would have to approve the tax credit in order for it to be issued.

Second, the authority approved the full tax break on stadium construction materials.

Today, the Board of Aldermen of the City of St. Louis are expected to take up a resolution that would address the free use of land (a site just west of Union Station on Market Street), the 50% break on ticket taxes, and the 3% tax on stadium goods.

St. Louis City leaders taking steps to support the push for professional soccer

Downtown St. Louis soccer stadium would be paid for with cash by would-be team owners

One step forward: City board OKs its part of tax incentives for downtown soccer stadium

UPDATE (11/16/18)Alderman Christine Ingrassia wants any resolution that provides the investor/operators of the proposed St. Louis-based MLS expansion franchise with free land and tax breaks to also  specifically identify said parties as the owners of the soccer-specific stadium, as well. She estimates that between 6 and 8 other members of the Board of Aldermen agree with her proposal.

MLS stadium hitch emerges at St. Louis Board of Aldermen

Just listening to a podcast that is a regular for me and they are saying it seems that MLS wants to go to single elimination for the playoffs with 7 teams from each conference getting in. 

Here's an article explaining what I heard

I'm sure the idea of single elimination makes a number of people happy (I didn't have strong feelings either way) but starting the season in Feb could start to cause some issues. I could see the southern teams saying that they think the northern teams get an advantage down the stretch because they will have more home dates. 

11 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Just listening to a podcast that is a regular for me and they are saying it seems that MLS wants to go to single elimination for the playoffs with 7 teams from each conference getting in. 

Here's an article explaining what I heard

I'm sure the idea of single elimination makes a number of people happy (I didn't have strong feelings either way) but starting the season in Feb could start to cause some issues. I could see the southern teams saying that they think the northern teams get an advantage down the stretch because they will have more home dates. 

The Athletic also mentioned that by pushing up the start, they would also try to have more Wednesday night games, if the Player's Association agrees.  Team costs would like increase due to chartering more planes*, but The Athletic was told that MLS games rate higher on weeknights.

*-There's generally a charter aircraft shortage in the spring, as the NCAA has found out. 

Single elimination would remove the advantage lower seeded teams enjoy right now, but I would miss the home-and-home format. I think allowing the higher seed to pick whether they want to start at home or on the road would be a big improvement.

Report from SI's Grant Wahl that US Soccer declined former Real Madrid/Spain manager Julen Lopetegui's interest in the USMNT coaching job. Reportedly, Lopetegui reached out to US Soccer recently through an intermediary to express interest. US Soccer said it was too far down the line in its hiring process to entertain Lopetegui's interest....

Cool.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Report from SI's Grant Wahl that US Soccer declined former Real Madrid/Spain manager Julen Lopetegui's interest in the USMNT coaching job. Reportedly, Lopetegui reached out to US Soccer recently through an intermediary to express interest. US Soccer said it was too far down the line in its hiring process to entertain Lopetegui's interest....

Cool.

Was he trying to get fired three times in a year?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived