US Cricket League - Beltway and Chicago logos open!

raysox

Hey guys. It's been a loooong time since I posted, and even longer than i posted a concept. I have an idea for a branding exercise for the community, but it's gonna take a little explanation. 

So cricket. I know a lot of people here don't really know too much about it, but it's actually super simple once you actually watch and see how the machine works. I'll let Fraser Davidson explain it.

Notice a country not on there? Well the USA isn't a super power, obviously. The American cricket federation actually got EXPELLED by the ICC for general ineptitude. This summer, a new federation reformed and they seem to have it all together. Their new website is super nice.

So their issue is, they don't have the infrastructure right now. Not fields, there's a lot of fields in major cities. But i'm talking the best playing the best. Right now, there are players on the national team playing amateurs, who obviously aren't the elite of the elite, just some guys in the town they're in. It looks like this. 

2rm86e1.png

So what are we here for? We're gonna make a league for the ??? level. I made a bunch of crests but they just lacked character. I want a bunch of different styles! I want to have fun! I'm not exactly sure how this will work, but I plan to post some parameters for a team in a locale. Eventually I can do jerseys, and possibly import it into a cool cricket game on Steam that has build a team. Eventually this can move to the sports fan fiction board. 

Here are the cities I have in mind. All have a cricket community, a big field, or a national team player.

Atlanta
Houston
Miami
Dallas
Tampa
Austin

Los Angeles
Northern California
Phoenix
Colorado
Seattle

Chicago
Saint Louis
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Detroit

New York
New Jersey
DC
Philadelphia

They're split into 4 divisions, which would work like conferences. The best 4 will play in the Cricket Bowl, which is a good pun on my part. I'll brand that, and the league. Just let me know what you think!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! Glad to know there's a little support. Hopefully this turns into something cool.

So for those who don't know, there's three forms of cricket. There's the cliche, 4 day cricket matches called Test Cricket, there's shorter games for international tournaments where each team gets 50 sets of 6 bowls to score as much as they can, or the quicker version of 20 sets of 6. In my head, there'd be a Los Angeles Cricket Team that governs all three forms, all using the same branding. For the sake of it, we can call this a t20 game.

Look up the English County Cricket logos. They're a mix of simple shields and free form designs with the team name underneath. That's what I'd want to go towards. The alternative is normal naming convention like the Big Bash League.

Interesting to see a concept for an American cricket league. It's going to be very exciting to what pans out for each cricket team - could the league more resemble a T20 franchise league much like the Big Bash League, Caribbean Premier League and the Indian Premier League? If it was real they could potentially play teams in the Caribbean Premier League.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:14 PM, Goran The Man said:

Interesting to see a concept for an American cricket league. It's going to be very exciting to what pans out for each cricket team - could the league more resemble a T20 franchise league much like the Big Bash League, Caribbean Premier League and the Indian Premier League? If it was real they could potentially play teams in the Caribbean Premier League.

So I did  think about this. Originally, the ideas stemmed from a list of cricket fields in america, with the Philadelphia Cricket club as the corner stone, who seems more like the stuck up old cricket type. I felt like doing more than just the slick nickname looks won't stand out as much in America.

Image result for big bash cricket logos

But there was something about this style I really liked, especially when I didn't implicitly want t20 

Image result for County Championship logos

The English counties' club supports test, one day international, and t20,and that's more of what I thought we would do here.

Here is the set of logos I did, but not sure I ever really loved.  I think my favorite is Colorado.

Logos-01.png

I also made a template which I'll release

Colorado-01.png

So yeah that's the rational. Also absolutely can play other leagues, but they'll get smoked hahah

What format is the league for? The white template indicates test, but that could just be a blank template.

Edit: Also, I can't express how excited I am that you're releasing the template. Cricket is my favourite sport, and I could really use a template lol.

On 12/13/2017 at 8:57 PM, ujju2 said:

What format is the league for? The white template indicates test, but that could just be a blank template.

Edit: Also, I can't express how excited I am that you're releasing the template. Cricket is my favourite sport, and I could really use a template lol.

Yeah i'm gonna refine it and release it when we finish the first club. It's gonna be open to all three forms, but that won't be reflected in t he logos but allows us to make 3 uniforms.

Nike_Select_01.png

Great news, we signed Nike as an official sponsor for uniforms and equipment. The league will be the overarching league, complete with separate divisions within it. Think NCAA with regional based conferences, shortening travel for a league with little income. We will have a to-be-named Mid-Atlantic league, Midwest League, Southern League, and Western League. The winners of the regions will participate in the Cricket Bowl, a 4 team tournament in a rotating host city. 

The league is called the Nike Select League due to the way the rosters will be loaded. The teams will choose from the all-stars of the local leagues, representing their city on a more competitive level. Players who do not have a team in their region will be allowed to play for their team of choice. This opens up the development of American players, vs bringing in professional ringers.

My rule for teams is that they have an established cricket field. A lot of local clubs play at baseball fields, and there's rules for playing on a baseball field. I want to be authentic and establish a real feeling league.

Display.jpg

New York City will be the first obvious choice of a club. Home of many immigrants, there is several national team players from the city. In addition, there are several fields littering the city.

(Bare with me on this, i'm not exactly sure how this is gonna work)

So lets brand this team. Look at the logos I posted above for some ideas. I want it to feel multicultural, while still uniquely New York. Lets try to do something with a mosaic of colors since most of the team would be made of immigrants it seems. Obviously "Cricket Club" should be in the name, but New York CC or Empire CC or something along those lines is up to interpretation.

I'll think of concepts, but if you're reading this go ahead and make/post yours! Best one we can use as the logo for the possible sim league, and uniform design.

Archived