NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

32 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Johnny Canuck is an overrated logo. Sorry.

I don't mind the orca. If they got rid of the wordmark, it would improve their current jerseys immensely.

26 minutes ago, Ark said:

Johnny Canuck  looks like a hipster lumberjack.

Johnny Canuck is whom the Canucks are named after. The city of Vancouver was built on the lumber industry. Johnny is a fearless and hardworking Canadian lumberjack who plays hockey in his spare time. After all, the Penguins do have a skating penguin, right? 

An orca, west coast or not, has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks' name, heritage and history.

5564_vancouver__canucks_-primary-1953-1.png.0838556ac3f875a6aff9338290007d8e.pngour_game_gallery_23_slide.jpg.cf.jpg.2f5cc012536c92c961f92e5fd4c86e3e.jpg20140711_130733.thumb.jpg.444df70931252eb807b9c16703b93f48.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With what happened with Linden in the summer, I have little faith that Aquilini will do the right thing and ditch the Orca, especially since they had the chance way back in 2007 with the Edge switch over.  At this point, them ditching the Vancouver script could be all that we get, if that.  Probably just fixing the collar.  If that's the case, could they also not fix the stupid curved stripes on the back while they are at it?

5 minutes ago, M4One said:

With what happened with Linden in the summer, I have little faith that Aquilini will do the right thing and ditch the Orca, especially since they had the chance way back in 2007 with the Edge switch over.  At this point, them ditching the Vancouver script could be all that we get, if that.  Probably just fixing the collar.  If that's the case, could they also not fix the stupid curved stripes on the back while they are at it?

It's normal to expect the worst from the Aquilinis or the Canucks for that matter. However, considering that next season is the Canucks' 50th anniversary, a club just doesn't make cosmetic changes to its primary look. There is a lot going on in the Canucks' brand - Orca, modified and classic Stick in Rink, Johnny Canuck. Ditching the bad luck and corporate Orca is a no-brainer. The classic Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck represent the 3 H's - Heritage, History & Hockey. That's what the Canucks need to market and build on for their 50th and beyond.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

An orca, west coast or not, has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks' name, heritage and history.

The Orca is a part of their history now, they've used it for over 20 seasons and I don't see it going anywhere. 

The easiest fix for the Canucks would be take the logos from their previous alternate and apply them to the current template.  Sadly, I don't see them being this competent.  We're likely to see a fix of the collars with maybe the word-mark removed.

stKV6A1.jpg

14 minutes ago, Ark said:

This is the same stupid "logic" Penguins fans used against the triangle penguin logo.

The Orca is a good logo and they should stick with it.

Except for the fact that the "serious" Penguin just doesn't line up with the high points in team history that the Skating Penguin (a far better logo) does. Like it or not, the skatin' bird was on the front for two sets of back-to-back Stanley Cups and an additional one. The "heights of the franchise" argument is a good one for many teams, such as the Devils. They didn't win three Stanley Cups in red/green. 

I'd be OK with a cleaned-up, First Nations artist-designed/tribe-approved orca logo. Like it or not, some of the details could use refining that would bring it more in line with the art style of the region.

Also, trying to argue that the Stick-in-Rink is "better luck" that the orca is a fool's errand, especially given that the early Canucks were a mostly-forgettable expansion team that only went on two short playoff trips. The Stick-in-Rink had a prominent place on the shoulders of the uniforms worn during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, so I doubt it brought the team much "luck."

That skating Johnny has always felt like a weak logo, in searching ive always figured some kind of brawny looking lumberjack might work better.

This is the direction my mind always goes.  Essentially a changed up Johnny.

97b4f2c28efa7369ca3ef75f62756b47--lumber

And some kind of axe on a maple leaf logo or something like that for an alternate patch

41 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

That skating Johnny has always felt like a weak logo, in searching ive always figured some kind of brawny looking lumberjack might work better.

This is the direction my mind always goes.  Essentially a changed up Johnny.

97b4f2c28efa7369ca3ef75f62756b47--lumber

And some kind of axe on a maple leaf logo or something like that for an alternate patch

That’s going to be a no from me on a maple leaf logo. Just because they’re Canadian, doesn’t mean they should have a maple leaf logo, especially with six other Canadian teams and one being the Maple Leafs. Cough, cough, Winnipeg.

IbjBaeE.png

58 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, trying to argue that the Stick-in-Rink is "better luck" that the orca is a fool's errand, especially given that the early Canucks were a mostly-forgettable expansion team that only went on two short playoff trips. The Stick-in-Rink had a prominent place on the shoulders of the uniforms worn during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, so I doubt it brought the team much "luck."

I didn't say the Stick In Rink is better luck but it has the potential to be - as a primary. The Orca has been very bad luck, from season-ending injuries to key players(Naslund '01, Hamhuis & Maholtra in '11, Boeser '18) to untimely bad plays and meltdowns in the playoffs(Cloutier '02, Loungo vs Chi in '09, '10, almost in '11, vs Bos '11). 

9 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I didn't say the Stick In Rink is better luck but it has the potential to be - as a primary. The Orca has been very bad luck, from season-ending injuries to key players(Naslund '01, Hamhuis & Maholtra in '11, Boeser '18) to untimely bad plays and meltdowns in the playoffs(Cloutier '02, Loungo vs Chi in '09, '10, almost in '11, vs Bos '11). 

... and the Mark Messier era. 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Except for the fact that the "serious" Penguin just doesn't line up with the high points in team history that the Skating Penguin (a far better logo) does. Like it or not, the skatin' bird was on the front for two sets of back-to-back Stanley Cups and an additional one. The "heights of the franchise" argument is a good one for many teams, such as the Devils. They didn't win three Stanley Cups in red/green. 

I'd be OK with a cleaned-up, First Nations artist-designed/tribe-approved orca logo. Like it or not, some of the details could use refining that would bring it more in line with the art style of the region.

I think that illustrates pretty well that sometimes what makes a logo better isn’t necessarily rational and has little to do with the quality of the mark itself. As a designer, that’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’s especially applicable in sports. By most objective measures, the late-90s/early 00s penguin is a better mark (Though there’s still a lot of room for improvement). The skating penguin was ushered out not because people didn't like it or because the team needed a change of fortune, but because everyone in the 1990s thought that sports brands needed an “edge” to be successful into the future. The skating penguin is nothing more than a sloppy illustration in strictly visual terms, but logos are designed to transcend the visual, and that skating penguin represents everything the previous one didn’t; it’s fun and it’s been on the chests of five cup-winning teams.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 12/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, DEAD! said:

... and the Mark Messier era. 

On 12/26/2018 at 4:07 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Yes! Thank you.

👎👎👎👎👎

252642692_11b3217e95_z.jpg_cf.jpg.01ad11e77708a409294bef87286a3474.jpg

I think more people associate these uniforms with the West Coast Express than the three insignificant years Messier played for them.  I'm glad the Canucks ditched their Avalanche-esque scheme but it bothers me when people refer to these jerseys as the "Messier era set."  Especially since Canuck legend, Trevor Linden had a hand in the design.

59 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I think more people associate these uniforms with the West Coast Express than the three significant years Messier played for them.  I'm glad the Canucks ditched their Avalanche-esque scheme but it bothers me when people refer to these jerseys as the "Messier era set."  Especially since Canuck legend, Trevor Linden had a hand in the design.

Didn't they make the change in the same year that they signed Messier? 

I think that's the reason people people make that connection. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

I think more people associate these uniforms with the West Coast Express than the three significant years Messier played for them.  I'm glad the Canucks ditched their Avalanche-esque scheme but it bothers me when people refer to these jerseys as the "Messier era set."  Especially since Canuck legend, Trevor Linden had a hand in the design.

Linden was only toeing the Orca Bay corporate line. Like it or not, those were the Orca Bay Canucks' unis, and original 'Orca Bay' captain and corporate suckup was Messier - A "Messy" era.

Archived