NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can nitpick the uniforms, but I think the Kings brand/colors are perfect right now. I don’t even mind the home plate logo. Black and silver are good for everyday use, but I like that they have the flashy throwbacks in the closet for special occasions.

52 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Kings jersey template has become a default Jr. hockey jersey as well.

Please, let's not talk about it.

V60GOEH-0_600x0.jpgV60GOEA-0_600x0.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I can nitpick the uniforms, but I think the Kings brand/colors are perfect right now. I don’t even mind the home plate logo. Black and silver are good for everyday use, but I like that they have the flashy throwbacks in the closet for special occasions.

I would rather they switch to the crown, but I could live with them just changing the font on the logo.  I like them in black/silver and their grey alternates are actually pretty nice.  I know the gold trim was just there for the 50th anniversary, but I would have kept it in.  The biggest issue really is the home jersey lacking proper hem stripes like the road.

The last time the Leafs won the Cup on TV their jerseys were black and white so the All Star jerseys are familiar territory.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

That Kings style jersey (with lower body stripe) is one of only two or three styles that AK offers in almost 20 different color ways. I don’t know how it took off but it’s become similar to how the Denver Broncos style jersey started appearing everywhere after it came on the scene. 

Another problem is the shade of silver they currently use, which is too light and blends into the white at any distance, especially on the numbers. I thought this was a bad look on TV, and then I went to a Kings game last month and sat three rows behind the bench, and it was still barely discernible. Meanwhile, someone in front of me was wearing a replica, and between the darker, flat gray and thicker outline of the screened twill, everything looked a lot better.

Current crown on the front, pencil point on the shoulders, switch from sparkle silver to a flat, medium gray, and use the road template for both uniforms.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, no. “The Triple Crown Line” pales in comparison to a team winning two Stanley Cups. The Canucks went to a Stanley Cup Finals in royal, while the Sabres wore royal for two decades and the Islanders had an amazing dynasty in royal/orange. The Kings had none of that in purple.

Black and silver IS the Kings, like it or not. While the current logo isn’t all that fantastic (I’d prefer an enlarged version of the Gretzky-era crown) and the home jersey could use a hem stripe, I still like them. They've got a nice dose of glitz to them, while still honoring the few periods of success this team had.

Maybe purple just doesn’t fit for any NHL team, from both historical and aesthetic perspectives. I’d love it if the Kings won a Cup in purple/yellow, but I’m not going to argue with history. Heck, the Ducks had more success in purple (“eggplant”) than the Kings. 

As a youth in 1988 I fell in love with the LA Kings silver & black look.  The change to silver & black plus the acquisition of Wayne Gretzy really caught my attention on to hockey even though I never became a fan of the Kings.  To me this is their iconic look.  I was happy when they reverted back to these colors before their stanley cup run but felt they missed the boat by not using the 88 chevron logo.  

1 hour ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

As a youth in 1988 I fell in love with the LA Kings silver & black look.  The change to silver & black plus the acquisition of Wayne Gretzy really caught my attention on to hockey even though I never became a fan of the Kings.  To me this is their iconic look.  I was happy when they reverted back to these colors before their stanley cup run but felt they missed the boat by not using the 88 chevron logo.  

The Kings' switch to black and silver from their classic purple/Forum blue and yellow-gold was one of the worst rebrands for two reasons(and not because the black & silver are bad):

1. It cost the NHL its one and only purple team.

2. It caused the BFBS hip hop culture disease in pro sports, mostly in hockey.

Gretzky would have looked great in an updated purple & yellow uniform like he did in Oilers royal blue & orange. The Kings could have gone back to arm trimless jerseys with white being the light colour. Think of the marketing ability of colour with star players in the 90's:

Gretzky in Kings purple⚅

Yzerman in Red Wings red⚀

Lemieux in Penguins black⚫

Lindros in Flyers orange🔶

Messier in Rangers blue🔵

However, as I had mentioned in my previous post, the black, silver and white can look really good with the original Gretzky-era template but with the classic crown on the front. The Kings could still use their original purple uniforms as a third.

27 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

2. It caused the BFBS hip hop culture disease in pro sports, mostly in hockey.

No it didn't, the Los Angeles Raiders did.

And there's no sense in sweating "hip hop culture" anymore. NBA players all look like this now:

hqdefault.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No it didn't, the Los Angeles Raiders did.

And there's no sense in sweating "hip hop culture" anymore. NBA players all look like this now:

hqdefault.jpg

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that he is the white Russell Westbrook. 

Archived