NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

something ive been thinking about lately in relation to this topic is the attachment people have with tradition (or change) in uniforms/identity. 

to elbaorate, ive always been of the thought that timelessness should be the aim of sports uniforms and identity. everyone should strive to be the Yankees; find your look and keep it. i dont think ive realized until now this may be more of a North American thing

we go on about BFBS and bad trends and whatever, and this is a resentment torwards aesthetic evolution. teams arnt supposed to do these things, but to my knowledge its pretty normal in other prts of the world, especially soccer. the biggest soccer teams (and therefore some of the biggest brands) in the world have their core elements, but change their uniforms nearly every year. they’re not afraid of this constant moving as we (mostly Americans) are with our beloved sports teams

and now i wonder; is that the way it should be? should we scoff at trends and change or embrace it? im starting to think id like to see NA sports be more flexible

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, Ice_Cap said:

So? Why is it vital that the NHL have a purple team? I don’t hate purple, but I don’t see its absence as a particularly bad thing either. 

The Kings are fine in black and silver (though I don't love the logo/striping), I have no problem with them wearing it,  I think it fits them well. And I don't think its vital that the NHL have a specifically purple team per se, but I think we can agree its a shame that its completely absent  from any team's scheme whatsoever while a third of the league wears red and blue or red and black. People point to the Kings as a team that should embrace it because they're the only franchise with a historical basis for wearing it, and some of those looks are better than what they have now. 

21 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

something ive been thinking about lately in relation to this topic is the attachment people have with tradition (or change) in uniforms/identity. 

to elbaorate, ive always been of the thought that timelessness should be the aim of sports uniforms and identity. everyone should strive to be the Yankees; find your look and keep it. i dont think ive realized until now this may be more of a North American thing

we go on about BFBS and bad trends and whatever, and this is a resentment torwards aesthetic evolution. teams arnt supposed to do these things, but to my knowledge its pretty normal in other prts of the world, especially soccer. the biggest soccer teams (and therefore some of the biggest brands) in the world have their core elements, but change their uniforms nearly every year. they’re not afraid of this constant moving as we (mostly Americans) are with our beloved sports teams

and now i wonder; is that the way it should be? should we scoff at trends and change or embrace it? im starting to think id like to see NA sports be more flexible

I was always under the impression that soccer teams change their look every year because the manufacturers release new templates every year. 

22 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

I really don't want Original 6 teams to wear new uniforms every year. 

New design is cool...but really, only as alternates. Standard brand-building home/road unis should be fairly constant. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

51 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

Are the Flames going to change to the alternates as their full time uni or at least fix their currents anytime soon?

According to Icethetics, the Flames might celebrate their 40th anniversary in Calgary. If they do, anything is possible. Nothing confirmed yet.

On 1/18/2019 at 1:09 AM, Chromatic said:

Wow.

I didn’t know STX still made equipment.

I read a pretty cool story on Reddit last week about STX. A person had mentioned on Reddit that their equipment bag was stolen, and STX sent them all kinds of new gear to get back on the ice. I’ve been a goalie for 30 years, so their stuff isn’t really relevant to me, but reading that really made me like the company. 

I shared this on Twitter but wanted to post here to get opinions.  Was walking thru my local Dicks Sporting Goods in Tampa and saw a rack of what appear to be the black all star jerseys, but none of them have the AllStar patch on the shoulder.  Can anyone confirm that this is how they were supposed to be sold retail?  Is it possible these are unreleased alts?

q5ftIaf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I shared this on Twitter but wanted to post here to get opinions.  Was walking thru my local Dicks Sporting Goods in Tampa and saw a rack of what appear to be the black all star jerseys, but none of them have the AllStar patch on the shoulder.  Can anyone confirm that this is how they were supposed to be sold retail?  Is it possible these are unreleased alts?

q5ftIaf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

For some reason, the more expensive Adidas “authentics” don’t have the All Star patch, but the cheaper Fanatics replicas do.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

The Lightning practiced for what I believe was the first time today in their third jersey helmets, gloves, and pant shells. Black pant with a silver or grey lightning bolt down the side. Domingue has on a matching set of pads. Don’t have any pictures though. 

22 minutes ago, twi said:

The Lightning practiced for what I believe was the first time today in their third jersey helmets, gloves, and pant shells. Black pant with a silver or grey lightning bolt down the side. Domingue has on a matching set of pads. Don’t have any pictures though. 

Eo4S5Je.jpg

ZlYtz0G.jpg

RilQwiL.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived