NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

It's really depressing that we're going to be stuck with the awful, irretrievable Hurricanes identity forever. We fooled ourselves into thinking there was a ray of light there, I should have known better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's really depressing that we're going to be stuck with the awful, irretrievable Hurricanes identity forever. We fooled ourselves into thinking there was a ray of light there, I should have known better.

I know the Hurricanes have their detractors (both visually and organizationally) and there are some who feel like they never should have left Hartford, but I don't know if they deserve that kind of animosity. Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but I feel like Carolina gets a lot of hate for no other reason than not being Hartford. As it stand the Canes are just a few seasons away from eclipsing their time in Hartford (the New England Whalers moved from Boston in 74), at which point I'd argue the franchise is more Raleigh's than Hartford's. 

Obviously there's lots of room for improvement, and I think with the new ownership there's a real chance that we'll some. Obviously we probably wont see everything we want, but the team just got a much needed transfusion of money and fresh blood...I'm optimistic.

2 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

I know the Hurricanes have their detractors (both visually and organizationally) and there are some who feel like they never should have left Hartford, but I don't know if they deserve that kind of animosity. Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but I feel like Carolina gets a lot of hate for no other reason than not being Hartford. 

Peter Karmanos (who for better or worse is the Carolina Hurricanes) deserves far more animosity than he gets. And this is hardly the place to get into it but I do have heavy antipathy for the race to the bottom among states that has allowed certain southern states to thrive at the expense of the Great Lakes and Northeast, which now see themselves trying to get in on the game with the same anti-labor legislation and corporate welfare that allowed states like North Carolina to poach from states like Connecticut, to say nothing of the New South's tendency toward low-density, car-intensive, suburban/exurban development that can't be sustained without heavily subsidized gasoline and artificially low property tax assessments. The Hurricanes are just a symptom of a larger disease.

52 minutes ago, Scratcher said:

I never understood why, in so many years of Reebok unis, the Hurricanes and Avalanche never took the time to fix their jerseys. Feelis like they are running very late on how to get to their best look

Rather perplexing since the Hurricanes were a rare case of an identity not being completely obliterated by the RBK Edge system.  All they needed to do with their original Edge set was remove the phantom yoke piping and straighten up the sleeve stripes.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Peter Karmanos (who for better or worse is the Carolina Hurricanes) deserves far more animosity than he gets. And this is hardly the place to get into it but I do have heavy antipathy for the race to the bottom among states that has allowed certain southern states to thrive at the expense of the Great Lakes and Northeast, which now see themselves trying to get in on the game with the same anti-labor legislation and corporate welfare that allowed states like North Carolina to poach from states like Connecticut, to say nothing of the New South's tendency toward low-density, car-intensive, suburban/exurban development that can't be sustained without heavily subsidized gasoline and artificially low property tax assessments. The Hurricanes are just a symptom of a larger disease.

You're upset about real-world microeconomics?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I grew up in suburban Cook County and rural southeastern Wisconsin. Wouldn't I be stupid not to be?

Fair enough, but I’d also be upset at policies that aren’t competitive.  

We should probably trot over to the Alignment History Thread that's become an open forum on American regions to discuss this further but I don't feel bad not liking when someone brings a gun to a knifefight. 

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

We should probably trot over to the Alignment History Thread that's become an open forum on American regions to discuss this further but I don't feel bad not liking when someone brings a gun to a knifefight. 

No further discussion necessary.  I know the arguments.  I have sympathy, and yet if I were Raleigh, I’d try hard to get companies to move there too.

22 hours ago, M4One said:

According to an article about the new Hurricanes' owner and the changes that he's already making, it appears like they will be ditching their black alternate for something completely new for the next season.  

this maybe:

Image result for quebec nordiques

so long and thanks for all the fish.

On 1/17/2018 at 3:04 PM, the admiral said:

ShadyWarpedDarklingbeetle-max-1mb.gif

Silliness aside, I want to thank you for that post.

In the meantime, for some context on the gif...I give you Bravest Warriors (soft tacos and friendship are at 2:32).

On 1/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I really wanted to see them go for a completely different color scheme. They're WAY too many red and black teams in the league.

I would have loved to see them utilize red and black in stripe designs, combined with a light blue jersey body. They could still build the identity around the red and black hurricane warning flags, and the full color scheme would be a nice hybrid for UNC and NC State fans.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As a NC State fan, I want nothing to do with any baby blue being incorporated by the Hurricanes. It’s bad enough UNC REX has a baby blue advertisement on the ice in PNC Arena. I’d like to see a departure from the old black uniform, but I think baby blue would be very unwelcome by a lot of folks in Raleigh. 

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

9 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

As a NC State fan, I want nothing to do with any baby blue being incorporated by the Hurricanes. It’s bad enough UNC REX has a baby blue advertisement on the ice in PNC Arena. I’d like to see a departure from the old black uniform, but I think baby blue would be very unwelcome by a lot of folks in Raleigh. 

Usually when you're cheering for a pro team, college rivalries don't mean much.  If a Columbus, Ohio team can wear navy, then a Raleigh team would likely be fine wearing light blue.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:28 AM, Thaumatrope said:

ShadyWarpedDarklingbeetle-max-1mb.gif

Silliness aside, I want to thank you for that post. You've actually inspired me to create the following thread in The Lounge. I hope you can find the time to take a look as I'd really like to continue this conversation in a more appropriate venue. 

In the meantime, for some context on the gif...I give you Bravest Warriors (soft tacos and friendship are at 2:32).

"You do not have permission to view this content."

Well, now I really want to read your thread.  ;) 

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I would have loved to see them utilize red and black in stripe designs, combined with a light blue jersey body. They could still build the identity around the red and black hurricane warning flags, and the full color scheme would be a nice hybrid for UNC and NC State fans.

That's a bold move Cotton...

I'm not from the Raleigh area, but I have extended family there, and based on my experience trying to market directly to UNC (or Duke) is a risky proposition. The UNC/Duke rivalry is so intense that any attempt to appeal to one group means possibly alienating the other. Even in Durham and Chapel Hill there's a surprising lack of Duke/UNC paraphernalia at local businesses (at least where I've spent time). Ironically I think this makes NC State "safe" as it doesn't seem to share the same rivalry with the other two schools. Obviously, sharing an arena with NC State helps make that connection even easier.

Archived