NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

1 hour ago, philly97flyer said:

These helmets are what happens when you try to cater to the Fortnite generation of kids who can’t keep their attention on one thing for more than 10 seconds. Hockey needs to get back to catering to their diehard fans, and not this millenial crap

The oldest millennials are pushing 40.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

These helmets are what happens when you try to cater to the Fortnite generation of kids who can’t keep their attention on one thing for more than 10 seconds. Hockey needs to get back to catering to their diehard fans, and not this millenial crap

old.jpg

The Pens uniforms work because there is contrast between the black and yellow (gold?). 

The Flyers uniforms fail because there is no contrast between the orange and the black. They need white on those uniforms badly. 

Also, can we not do the massive logos on the helmets ever again? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Yeah the logos on the helmets look cheap, as I suspected.

Philadelphia's orange is too dark, agreed.

Gritty could make a cool shoulder patch, if it were the 90's.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

16 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

The Flyers uniforms fail because there is no contrast between the orange and the black. They need white on those uniforms badly. 

Agreed.  My first thought was how similar the situation is to the Cleveland Browns color rush jerseys ... so much better with white!

11 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

The Pens uniforms work because there is contrast between the black and yellow (gold?). 

Also, can we not do the massive logos on the helmets ever again? 

How much better would the Flyers' uni be with a softer/ lighter orange contrasting with the black?

Isn't this :censored: obvious to teams? I'm sure Adidas understands the need for contrast. I really wish there was some way to overrule teams when they are going to make a decision that will simply look bad on the ice. I know it's unrealistic, and the team is king, but it would be great if there were a "traffic cop" to help teams avoid CLEARLY BAD aesthetic choices.

As example, if you want to have matching black stripes on a blood-orange jersey -- and keep black breezers -- you can't have the waist stripe be at the base of the uniform, as then it just bleeds into the pants. (Nashville Preds' home sweater suffers from this "problem," too.)

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Hockey helmets should only feature team wordmarks (except the Rangers, who, having that accounted for on the sweaters, could have their primary there or maybe "New York" straight across in rangers.ttf). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I applaud Adidas for exploring new looks in special events. It's a great way to see what works; and what doesn't...

2-colour unis really need the contrast between the 2 colours. The Philly uniforms looked like mud.

I like the idea (in theory) of putting a pattern or logo on the helmet, but with all the angles and planes on a brain bucket, it's gotta be simple.

On the telly, I really couldn't make out what was on the helmets...kinda looked like a paint splash.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I saw today that a movie is being made about the life of Terry Sawchuk. I got excited, because if there is one former player who's life could make a great movie, it's Sawchuk.

Unfortunately the trailer left me disappointed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-cN9sSpo4

Pretty sad that a movie like The Love Guru gets the NHL license for logos/uniforms, but a movie about one of the greatest players of all time gets stuck with this in lieu of the classic Red Wings logo:

Terry%20Sawchuk%20goalie%20trailer_15494

Every sport has their own jersey rules.  Some things that work in one sport, doesn't necessarily work in another.  A logo on the front of a football jersey does not work.  Neither does slapping a big a** logo on the side of a hockey helmet.  Even a simple stripe or pattern on the helmet is unnecessary.  

21 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I saw today that a movie is being made about the life of Terry Sawchuk. I got excited, because if there is one former player who's life could make a great movie, it's Sawchuk.

Unfortunately the trailer left me disappointed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-cN9sSpo4

Pretty sad that a movie like The Love Guru gets the NHL license for logos/uniforms, but a movie about one of the greatest players of all time gets stuck with this in lieu of the classic Red Wings logo:

Terry%20Sawchuk%20goalie%20trailer_15494

That is disappointing.  But, considering this appears to be a small Canadian production compared to the big Hollywood movie the Love Guru was, I don't think it's surprising they didn't pay for the license.  I'm surprised that they were still able to use the Bruins' name.  In the end, it's probably won't hurt the story too much.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:52 PM, NYYNYR said:

How much better would the Flyers' uni be with a softer/ lighter orange contrasting with the black?

Isn't this :censored: obvious to teams? I'm sure Adidas understands the need for contrast. I really wish there was some way to overrule teams when they are going to make a decision that will simply look bad on the ice. I know it's unrealistic, and the team is king, but it would be great if there were a "traffic cop" to help teams avoid CLEARLY BAD aesthetic choices.

As example, if you want to have matching black stripes on a blood-orange jersey -- and keep black breezers -- you can't have the waist stripe be at the base of the uniform, as then it just bleeds into the pants. (Nashville Preds' home sweater suffers from this "problem," too.)

They use the brighter orange in all their other jerseys and branding. It still baffles me why they asked for the darker orange here. It’s a total head-scratcher.

I don’t mind the hem stripe blending into the pants, though. I wouldn’t want every team to do it, but a few is okay. It gives you a clean transition at the beltline, which is nice for a more progressive looking team or event. I think it improves not only the aesthetic proportion of logo to background on the players’ uniforms, but it also tremendously improves the look of the jersey on a fan wearing street clothes compared to one with a small hem detail or no hem stripe at all.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived