NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

5 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Chicago Sun-Times Blackhawks beat writer Mark Lazerus said on his podcast yesterday that the wonky collars on adidas' jerseys will return for the 2018-19 season; apparently, part of the NHL deal was that the rollout designs don't get modified for the first two seasons. He does expect a change in the Blackhawks' "Pilgrim/Veruca Salt" collar to come after that, however.

There goes Devil fans' hopes of adding the proper hem stripes back to their current jersey next season!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sens sent out a survey to all of their season ticket holders asking for feedback on all aspects of the organization. 

They included questions about the jerseys & logos:

DY5km24VQAAGP7w?format=jpg&name=large

DY5km25UQAEChKs?format=jpg&name=large

I'm surprised they didn't include the 2-D jerseys in the survey, especially since they have it in the logo question. It seems like the fanbase is split between people who want to go with the O, and those who prefer the '90s look. The only thing everyone can agree on is that the current look is terrible. 

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Sens sent out a survey to all of their season ticket holders asking for feedback on all aspects of the organization. 

I'm surprised they didn't include the 2-D jerseys in the survey, especially since they have it in the logo question. It seems like the fanbase is split between people who want to go with the O, and those who prefer the '90s look. The only thing everyone can agree on is that the current look is terrible. 

The Canucks need to do exactly the same thing. 

Seems like Ottawa really forgot about the updated 2D logo, which is too bad since it's probably their best logo, certainly better than the simplistic O logo that will no doubt win the poll.  As for the Canucks, it's two choices: stick in rink with the current uniform, or Johnny Canuck in the same uniform or something along the lines of the original set with the V cut into the stripes.  Blue jersey might need to be tweaked a bit, though.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

1 hour ago, Ark said:

Something is off about the updated 2D logo. I vastly prefer the original. 

I have the opposite opinion. The original one looks dated to me, but this new one is pretty much a perfect modernization of it.

Edit for clarification: I mean the modernized 2D logo, not the current 3D primary.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

I have the opposite opinion. The original one looks dated to me, but this new one is pretty much a perfect modernization of it.

In real life, however, the logo is used as the team’s secondary logo.

I love that Sens logo. I think the 2D logo of the past is the way to go. The current logo is terrible. The O isn’t anything special ether. 

Not to go back to the argument over the Panthers, as this is a whole different point. What if the team went with a uniform with the Panther/Flag logo? I like the leaping cat, but I think something along those lines could work. 

Anything on the Blues yet? I hope they go with a Navy alternate like the one in the past. 

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Again, confusing, as we have heard for a while that the Sens were ditching the "Senturion" (guess someone was feeling clever!) and going with the Heritage design for next season.

So, um, maybe a previous poster was right about designs staying the same for the first 2 seasons of Adidas?? We had all envisioned the Ducks and Sens, if nothing else, making substantial changes. Guess not, after all? I dunno.

Gotta be the 2d centurion, though I also agree that the updated one doesn't quite have the same regal feel that the original has.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Gotta be the 2d centurion, though I also agree that the updated one doesn't quite have the same regal feel that the original has.

It still surprises me how common this viewpoint is on these boards. I didn't really start watching NHL games until after that logo was gone so maybe it's lack of exposure to it outside of the CCSLC, but it just doesn't seem close when you compare the 2D original to updated side by side. It's like an amateur vs professional comparison. I just don't see it.

Anyway, I guess it's nice that the Sens org is reaching out to it's holders to get feedback - whether or not they use it is a different story. The way the images are positioned seems to direct you to the Heritage options. The =O= logo looks bigger and bolder, catches your eye right away. Then they lead off with the heritage jersey design and only give the current home/away without the option to choose past looks (not that there's much to choose from). Could be some crazy, conspiracy thinking but maybe they're trying to force the heritage look to be popular because they've already made that decision...

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

I'm all for either of the 2d "Senturions" as I think they are both really nice.

I liked the 3d logo in the 90s when it was new and different, but it didn't really age well, and it looks even worse on a bad jersey template. If the jersey had any sense of good design, the 3d logo would look pretty nice.

I'm assuming that the O logo will win (and I would guess that team management thinks it will win, too).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:27 PM, infrared41 said:

It's possible that I'm missing your point but.... Are you saying that the design of a jersey had something to do with a team winning in the playoffs? Call me crazy, but I'm betting the 80's Oilers would have been every bit as good if they had worn white t-shirts that used electrical tape for the names and numbers. Point being, I kinda doubt the jerseys have anything to do with the success - or lack thereof - of a team in the playoffs. 

There does seem to be a correlation between winning and consistent uniforms in the NHL though. Solid ownership groups tend not to change uniforms as often as turbulent ones and it seems that players have more respect for organizations with long running uniforms and logos. It makes sense when you think about it. If a team is constantly redefining their brand or on ice identity they obviously have less focus.

Take any mickey mouse organization in the NHL and what do they usually have in common? A lot of different uniforms and logos and quite often with some very forced designs like the current Panthers. And how about those Oilers? They've been swimming in a sea of hot garbage for the last decade and over that time period they happened to have a really bad uniform identity crisis thanks to Reebok. Piping, dated 90s colours, no hemstripes. They looked nothing like the organisation that produced a dynasty in their heyday. Then they slowly bring back their classic uniforms and a couple seasons later with McDavid they finally become a Cup threat again.And what do they do next? They change their uniforms again making orange the main colour while changing royal blue to navy. Where is the team now? Right back in the gutter.

1 hour ago, uniformity said:

Take any mickey mouse organization in the NHL and what do they usually have in common? A lot of different uniforms and logos and quite often with some very forced designs like the current Panthers. And how about those Oilers? They've been swimming in a sea of hot garbage for the last decade and over that time period they happened to have a really bad uniform identity crisis thanks to Reebok. Piping, dated 90s colours, no hemstripes. They looked nothing like the organisation that produced a dynasty in their heyday. Then they slowly bring back their classic uniforms and a couple seasons later with McDavid they finally become a Cup threat again.And what do they do next? They change their uniforms again making orange the main colour while changing royal blue to navy. Where is the team now? Right back in the gutter.

I’m still pissed off about the Oilers. 

XM4KeeA.png

I'm annoyed with pretty much every team's uniforms since all day I dream about stupid looking collars took over. We already knew that European style soccer/football collars do not belong anywhere on an NHL uniform after the 2000 All Star game in Toronto but they actually made it worse by turning them into oversized toilet seats. Next are the socks. Who the hell do they think they are by daring to touch the Leafs and Bruins signature uniform element. And the Leafs classic uniform bottom hemstripes just gone. How? Why? And even teams like the Canucks and Blue Jackets now have these ridiculous looking massive stripes on the socks because of this pedantic belief that all stripe elements have to match on a uniform. They don't. Uniforms and logos so often look better with these quirky elements.

Archived