NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

28 minutes ago, Chico said:

VJON91I.jpg

Here's a quick mockup and I reversed the socks as well. I think it looks much better this way.

Wow didn't thought it would look so great on the alt version. maybe reverse green and orange on the socks?`since Orange is the dominant secondary color.

Something like this?tYoyk6q.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the full body 'yote for some reason. Also could do without the purple I think, but thats just me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:28 PM, andrewharrington said:

For me, it’s mainly that it’s a solid color panel. There’s no fiddling with trimming the panels in the third color like they did in the previous eras or on the Winter Classic jersey, which is what departs from the trademark Flyers look for me.

I also see the sleeve and shoulder as kind of two design elements fused together into one, and from some angles, you can see the sleeve bands but not where they turn up into the shoulder stripe.

[imgs]

This is one of the reasons the base design of the 50th jersey still worked for me. Even though the shoulder bands weren’t present, the familiar forearm construction still made the jersey feel like the Flyers because the big orange band followed by the black sleeve dip is such an integral part of their look.

A black jersey with the full orange sleeve and shoulder swoop looks a bit ridiculous because I feel the success there hinges on the balance of orange, white and black (and it would likely overpower the austere look of the outlined logo and numbers), so the plain bands without the shoulder portion are simply a purposeful alteration of the full design to work in the context of the jersey.

Maybe saying it evokes the design of the main uniform is a bad way to put it, but I definitely feel this jersey (and sock, which I forgot to mention!) fits the Flyers’ aesthetic, with purposeful edits to not only work in context and maximize the purpose of the colors, but also to make it just unique enough from the home and road to keep the set interesting.

I guess that makes a little more sense to me, but I think that it also points out one of what is IMO the biggest flaw with 1) them using the '70s era design, and 2) adidas' template:  the sleeve doesn't flow elegantly into the wrist stripe.

The adidas template almost makes it seem squared off - like two separate elements that just happen to touch (just like you said.)

I prefer when it looks as intended - one solid piece, like the '80s/'90s version (which they could easily pull off even without the superfluous black trim... though I happen to like said trim.)

1980 Sweater - nice curvy transition from shoulder to wrist:

111865a_lg.jpeg

2012 Sweater - sharper, but still pretty smooth transition from shoulder to wrist  Obviously one piece:

29646.jpg

Current - garbage.  No transition at all.  Like two separate pieces that simply intersect:

Giroux_P05149_b_lg.jpeg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's a Flyers concept on Icethetics that maintains the orange body but eliminates white everywhere but the logo by implementing black phantom sleeve / wrist trim, which with a few tweaks, I think works really well for a third.

I don't hate the black third conceptually, but I do hate monochrome hockey uniforms - especially black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Well when the Coyotes “inevitably” bring back their third from the late 90s, lets hope they don’t put those random lizards on this time

Why not? If you are going to do a throwback you need to be historically accurate

I know the long, skinny shoulder stripe is the Flyers' thing but to me it just looks dated. The way the sleeve numbers (if double digits) just kinda fall off the shoulder stripe has always kinda bugged me. 

I think the best Flyers look would be the 50th anniversary template. It would still look traditional and it's a more balanced look than the 80s to 00s template. 

I guess my problem with the original Coyote's jersey is that the green shoulders get lost on the black jersey.  Cool recolors, here are some other variations:

13yjipf.png 

IMO the green with orange and purple (row two column one) is pretty dang sharp!

1 hour ago, Prince Harry said:

I know the long, skinny shoulder stripe is the Flyers' thing but to me it just looks dated. The way the sleeve numbers (if double digits) just kinda fall off the shoulder stripe has always kinda bugged me. 

I think the best Flyers look would be the 50th anniversary template. It would still look traditional and it's a more balanced look than the 80s to 00s template. 

Yeah, but the worst offender is the colored nameplate on the back.

3 hours ago, _RH_ said:

I guess my problem with the original Coyote's jersey is that the green shoulders get lost on the black jersey.  Cool recolors, here are some other variations:

13yjipf.png 

IMO the green with orange and purple (row two column one) is pretty dang sharp!

Love the green and orange. 

17 hours ago, dont care said:

Why not? If you are going to do a throwback you need to be historically accurate

Because they choose to be the Coyotes, not the desert lizards. What are the Sharks going to come out with a logo featuring a sea turtle? The Panthers going to use a manatee logo? Its dumb, thats why.

10 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Because they choose to be the Coyotes, not the desert lizards. What are the Sharks going to come out with a logo featuring a sea turtle? The Panthers going to use a manatee logo? Its dumb, thats why.

Well, the Canucks use an orca. And I agree, it's definitely dumb.

12 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

But it’s a throwback. When creating one you need to make it as historically accurate as possible. Having a design quirk like that shows how authentic you are trying to be.

17 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

The lizard and the art style represent the area. By your logic, the 90s Panthers couldn’t have had that shoulder patch with the palm tree and the hockey stick. “What are they... the Florida Palm Trees?”

17 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

“They choose to be the Capitals, not the Eagles.”

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:46 AM, Demonkah said:

Wow didn't thought it would look so great on the alt version. maybe reverse green and orange on the socks?`since Orange is the dominant secondary color.

Something like this?tYoyk6q.jpg

The coyotes idea above reminds me a lot of a similar idea I had for the lightning. Don't get me wrong, I love classic/timeless uniforms, but when you are in what some may call a "non-traditional" market like Arizona/Tampa Bay, I have always felt like you can afford to try something unique. For the lightning, I always thought their rain storm jersey would look better if it was black, like a storm in the night. I have always loved uniforms but am not a graphic designer by any means, I know my execution is lacking but this is so you all get the idea. Personally I think the coyotes alt actually looks really good in black, but being a 90's kid I will always love that green. I would love to see a couple teams adopt some jerseys like these with more personality, not everyone can can/should try and look like an original 6 team.

Concept_zps7i00vusv.jpg

Archived