NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

1 hour ago, ldconcepts said:

DibLC_MWsAAAINJ?format=jpg

From an official team survey...

Notice the bottom line says SOS. I wonder if Erik Karlsson was in charge of the survey ?

Jokes aside, I'd have to go with none of the above. It amazes me that they have a modernized 2D centurion logo that they don't consider. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

As others have said, its comical that the modernized 2D logo isn't an option when it's clearly the best one.

It's almost like they lost the original files for the updated 2D logo and are too embarrassed to admit it. So instead of reaching out to the designer(s) they're just pretending that it never existed in the first place.

Meanwhile...can anyone tell me what is going on with the O in the center of the bottom row? It looks like someone just applied an abstract "tribal" pattern to the =O=...or maybe paisley? I can't make heads or tails of it. 

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

DibLC_MWsAAAINJ?format=jpg

From an official team survey...

Which logo do you like? Our old logo, our current logo, the one we want to be our current logo, or three dummies to give you the illusion of choice?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly think that they were certainly going to switch to the O logo (still might), but then Tom Anselmi quit as CEO, and that put everything on hold.  They should dust off the updated 2d logo and use that as their new primary, while keeping the O logo for an alternate.  It would be the best of both worlds.  The O logo is not strong enough to be a primary, even when you compare it to other similar logos like Montreal, Boston, Calgary's, etc.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Which logo do you like? Our old logo, our current logo, the one we want to be our current logo, or three dummies to give you the illusion of choice?

I realize I'm getting into tin foil hat territory here, but what if the purpose of adding three very similar O/S logos to the mix is to draw support away from the =O= logo? 

Hear me out.

The =O= logo has been in use by the Ottawa organization for some time now, and appears to be the most popular logo currently used by the organization. (While the updated 2D centurion may be *more* popular, it hasn't been used on an Ottawa jersey since it was introduced over ten years ago.) They've had years to make the =O= their new primary...and they haven't. Why?

I don't think Melnyk likes the =O= logo. What's more, based on the various rumors that have floated around it sounds like Anselmi was the main proponent for the change and now that he's gone the transition is in doubt. These images represent (what I believe to be) the second official attempt on the part of the Senators to get feedback from the fans. The first poll included the first row, and now we suddenly see three more logos that all share similarities to the =O= but not to the other two original options. We know for a fact that the organization has a (vastly superior) newer version of the 2D logo, and yet they continue to withhold it as an option (I suspect Melnyk really doesn't like that logo).

Some might argue that the three O/S variations are a sign of the =O='s popularity and are an attempt to provide more options for fans that prefer that look. But if the =O= is so popular, isn't that a sign that it should be the new primary? Instead, I think these variations are intended to dilute the overall popularity of the =O= logo. By providing similar (but inferior) logos the organization hopes to make the other two logos appear better by comparison. What's more, by insisting on using the original 2D logo the organization is arguably doing everything in it's power to steer fans to the current primary. 

I can only assume this is because Melnyk is cheap and doesn't want to change the stationary...

Some higher quality versions of the three new concept logos:

DihMJmJX0AA4Ga7.jpg:large

DihMJmJWAAE4J1H?format=jpg&name=large

DihMJmKWsAAwbMW?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like this is supposed to be a distraction for the fans, considering the timing of it.

The S options are way too generic, and the O needs the barberpole stripes behind it to work as a primary. These honestly look like they were thrown together by marketing department one afternoon, but I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from the organization at this point. 

50 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

The top one looks very pacific islands (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand Maori) with the elements in the "O"... And all I see with the bottom one is the Stockton Flames.

I think you’re right about the top O design likely being Polynesian in origin. What it’s doing in a logo for the Ottawa Senators I haven’t a clue.

Having a subtle image or pattern inside the O is actually a very clever way of adding complexity to a logo that is critiqued for being too generic or simple. In light of the flourishes Vegas incorporated into their jerseys I actually think Ottawa could pull off something truly beautiful.

But then I look at the designs being proposed and realize that at this stage in the organization’s history expecting professionalism and polished execution just isn’t on the table.

Ottawa Senators Survey Fans With New Logo Options

July 20, 2018 - 14:59 PM

The Ottawa Senators are draggggging out the process of getting a new logo for the team, but at least it looks like they’re consulting with their season ticket holders for what they should do if anything at all. Despite using their […]

Read More...

11 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

DihMJmKWsAAwbMW?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like this is supposed to be a distraction for the fans, considering the timing of it.

The S options are way too generic, and the O needs the barberpole stripes behind it to work as a primary. These honestly look like they were thrown together by marketing department one afternoon, but I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from the organization at this point. 

Is that Myriad Pro in the Stockton looking S roundel? Yikes this organization needs help. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

15 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

DihMJmJX0AA4Ga7.jpg:large

Senators. Samoans. Potatoes. Tomatoes.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The frustrating thing is that Belleville has managed to nail their branding. You could easily sub out the Belleville skyline with the parliament buildings in this logo, and you'd have a perfect shoulder patch for Ottawa (likely with a French version to go on the opposite shoulder):

8620_belleville__senators-alternate-2019

Archived