NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Ark said:

Teams have finally figured out Adidas collars.

If this was last season, the collar would have been all yellow.

Yep, as I’ve said previously, not a single third jersey has a version of the half-collar. I expect some teams to switch next season.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

1 hour ago, Roger Clemente said:

cut.jpg

Awesome! Love seeing some brighter colors back in uniforms. Wish baseball and football would follow suit. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Well done Blues, I will give these Adidas designs some credit (ignoring the collars) the looks have been clean and deliberate. No random piping, vertical striping, broken striping etc. Had this been released by Reebok a few years ago I can't help but think there would be yellow or white "apron strings" on these. 

7 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Uh, that's basically a slight variation on the Wild's color scheme.

They're similar, but Minnesota's red is more crimson while Seattle's was more burgundy. Seattle's green has slightly more blue in it while Minnesota's is a more conventional forest green. Here's a side-by-side:

https://imgur.com/a/fiXlztO

...anybody know why I can't insert the link above into my post?

I think more teams should use the Winter Classic collars. These jerseys especially...

This was my prediction... (shameless plug)

StLouisAlt1.png

I think that these collars work better for the throwback look, and they would work great with teams like Montreal and Chicago...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

https://imgur.com/a/fiXlztO

...anybody know why I can't insert the link above into my post?

Because you're linking to the album, not the image.  I've had the same problem before.  You can right click on the image on the imgur album page and click on 'copy image location' to get the direct link to the image and then post that instead.

WaLHIXj.jpg

On 8/25/2018 at 9:21 PM, Thaumatrope said:

I'm inclined to see it more as a matter of color theory. The number of teams using contrasting colors across professional sports (in the US at least) is relatively small. Of the primary and secondary colors, orange and blue is by far the most popular across all sports, while purple and yellow is a distant second. Red and green appears to be the least commonly used, however I'm not convinced "christmas colors" is to blame.

One thing that orange and blue, and purple and yellow have going for them is that purples and blues lend themselves to darker shades while yellow and orange tend towards brighter shades. I don't know if anyone else was taught this, but when I was just starting out I was told to periodically view designs in greyscale in order to see how the color values space out. Ideally the colors used in the design should occupy different, visually distinct, values (ie a dark, a medium, and a light). Red and green can present a challenge in this respect, especially when it comes to athletic designs. Light shades of red (ie pink) are generally shunned, and until recently shades of green lighter that kelly green were few and far between. Due to these limitations teams that use red and green frequently use colors with vary similar tonal value resulting in a "muddled" or "dull" look. The exception that appears to prove the rule is the Atlanta Falcons Hawks who use a lighter shade of green to contrast against a more conventional red (coincidentally I could very easily see Seattle taking a similar approach).

Another consideration is that red and green are the two most common colors to be impaired by colorblindness, which is a disorder that is predominantly found in men. It's entirely possible that the red green color combination is less popular because it's the most likely to go unseen (or mis-seen) by the primary audience for professional sports. 

That’s fine, my criticism is levied at people using “Christmas colours” as an excuse.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

That’s fine, my criticism is levied at people using “Christmas colours” as an excuse.

People who use “Christmas colours” to rag on green and red need to seriously think of better material. 

The same thing goes for people who can’t get past “hehe Halloween colours” for orange and black or “hehe McDonald’s” for red and gold. 

1 hour ago, ldconcepts said:

From the NHL Shop...

ff_3273715alt1_full.jpg&w=3000&q=80

...are they even trying anymore?

I'm hoping that's just a really bad photoshop

Weird thing is the women's version is way more accurate:

ff_3239517_full.jpg&w=340

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

From the NHL Shop...

ff_3273715alt1_full.jpg&w=3000&q=80

...are they even trying anymore?

The knockoff sites would do a better job than this.

I'm glad they didn't go with the full on collar, but still waiting for a better fix since this fix only applies to teams that only use one colour for the collar.

23 hours ago, Ark said:

As if it was that hard to figure out! 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:08 PM, Ark said:

And they're still bad!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

As part of their 25th anniversary, the Ducks are doing nine jersey tribute nights

White Mighty Ducks on Oct .8

Eggplant Mighty Ducks on Oct. 28

Wild Wing on Nov. 1

Nike Alternates on Nov. 9

Black Anaheim Script Alternate on Nov. 16

Reebok Ducks Wordmark Jerseys on Nov 21.

Orange Stadium Series on Dec. 7

D-Logo Jerseys/Current on Dec. 29

Previous Orange Alternate on Jan. 4

The Jersey Tribute Nights include nine home games that will celebrate each of the jerseys worn by the franchise since its inception. Tribute nights move in chronological order, beginning with the home opener and the first jersey ever worn by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Look for special appearances by Ducks alumni on these nights and a chance to win prizes for fans that wear the jersey being honored that night.

Each Jersey Tribute Night will include:
•   The current Ducks team warming up in the sweater being recognized
•   Special Tribute Night entertainment with In-game features and retrospectives
•   A south concourse display of that specific uniform kit, with historical context detailing the concepts and uniform style
•   Ducks archival and limited edition collectible displays from the era in which that uniform was worn
•   Fan photo ops and interactive opportunities

What's sort of weird is on the Ducks release in the link above, they refer to the Mighty Ducks colours as "plum and teal", not "eggplant and jade".

IEI5Tg1.png

I love that they're going to wear the Wild Wing uniforms.  Ugly or not, they're part of the team's history.  More teams should do this if honoring their past.  Honor all past uniforms or no past uniforms!!!

From that site the Ducks say this: "It was the same season three other franchises - the LA Kings, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins - debuted jerseys that have been ranked on many lists among the worst of all time."  almost rationalizing it's ugliness.  Its kinda weaselly yet I like it.  "We know these are pretty ugly, but other teams had really ugly ones too!"

90758391980.gif

Archived