NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

The only thing that has slightly ruined the Panthers look for me is when I realized something about the logo. When it came out I thought it was nice, but understood how people said it was a soccer logo. Didn't bother me though. 

Fast forward to to a day at work. I work for a university that has a partnership with the MLS, so we have some pictures around the building and one is of the FC Dallas logo. Pretty much the exact same thing. I'd walk by it every day since it was right by my desk and just shook my head each time I passed it. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Panthers jersey is not great, but not bad.  If I were to only change one thing about them, I would make the bottom hem stripe thicker, similar to Detroit's.  The numbers I could live with how they are, but I'd prefer them down on the sleeves instead of the shoulder.  The same goes with swapping out Florida and Panthers on the logo depending on home/away.  I get why they do it, but it seems unnecessary on the home jersey.

10 hours ago, Morgo said:

Anyone else think this uniform set is a complete train-wreck that looks more unattractive and dated with every passing game?  Now that all novelty has long since expired, it's impossible to ignore the Montreal-pilfering chest-stripe, contrast-less colour configuration and the truly idiotic 'army patches.'  My hope is that Florida uses the updated, leaping-panther on an alternate that will eventually replace this travesty. 

HbPVfID.jpg

Y'know, I don't like this uniform either, but I don't know how you took a simple "not really, no" to mean Ice_Cap's trying to represent the community's opinion. You should stop assuming the worst about people, man -  I don't think they're out to show you up just 'cause they disagree with you about hockey uniforms.

@Morgo I think five years ago, you could have said that the Canadiens owned the chest stripe. You had Ottawa's new-ish pseudo barber poles and that was about it (that I can think of). Since then, you've had the Solar Bears, the Wild, the Panthers, Toronto's Centennial Classic jerseys, and maybe more. It's not unusual anymore for teams to trot out the chest stripe, and I'm happy; I think it's a great uniform element.

Went to the Lightning game last night, and the Tampa Bay Sports Store at Amalie Arena is selling CCM jerseys of the original design but with current players’ names and numbers, available in your choice of either the 1992 or 2004 font kit.  They also offered customization services on black jerseys using the 2004 kit.  They said they’re only doing it for the 25th Anniversary season, but I’d imagine that if either of those things are big sellers then maybe they’ll consider making it an alt for next year?

The Panthers' new logos beat the old ones no questions asked, but the original red jerseys were miles ahead of the current ones. I actually am in the camp that really enjoyed their last rebrand, and I think the jerseys are a good mix between classic and modern, but the original uniforms were great. If they found a way to balance their original red jerseys with the current logos, that would be perfect.

Lose the army patches over the secondaries, flip the secondaries and numbers, flip the numbers on the whites from blue to red (but leave the names in blue), and take FLORIDA and PANTHERS off the top of the crest(s). It's pretty good now, but I think those tweaks would make it excellent.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, unimaniac said:

Went to the Lightning game last night, and the Tampa Bay Sports Store at Amalie Arena is selling CCM jerseys of the original design but with current players’ names and numbers, available in your choice of either the 1992 or 2004 font kit.  They also offered customization services on black jerseys using the 2004 kit.  They said they’re only doing it for the 25th Anniversary season, but I’d imagine that if either of those things are big sellers then maybe they’ll consider making it an alt for next year?

Unless there's a sizable shift somewhere, the new alternate will not be a re-hash of a previously existing design. 

I actually really like this current look for the Panthers. I think that they pull off the half chest stripe really well. Like Ad said though, the road numbers should be red.

I also think they should just ditch the sleeve patches, but leave the shoulder numbers. I think that's a great look, and other than the Oilers orange alt from last year, it hasn't really been seen in the NHL in a while. The last team to use it was the Cleveland Barons, and they had used it before as the Oakland Seals...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 12/24/2017 at 6:19 AM, Cosmic said:

@Morgo I think five years ago, you could have said that the Canadiens owned the chest stripe. You had Ottawa's new-ish pseudo barber poles and that was about it (that I can think of). Since then, you've had the Solar Bears, the Wild, the Panthers, Toronto's Centennial Classic jerseys, and maybe more. It's not unusual anymore for teams to trot out the chest stripe, and I'm happy; I think it's a great uniform element.

This is a good thing?  The Panthers started out with a striping pattern that was unique to the league and looked great.  Why do they need to use a half-assed (and half-striped) approximation of the Canadien's look?  It's tacky, unoriginal and they now look nothing like the team that made the finals in 1996.  Toronto's jerseys were a one-off and although the Wild's new homes look better than they have since 2007, they'd be better without the chest stripe.  B-mer's concept proves that without a shadow of a doubt.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:07 PM, mcj882000 said:

Y'know, I don't like this uniform either, but I don't know how you took a simple "not really, no" to mean Ice_Cap's trying to represent the community's opinion. You should stop assuming the worst about people, man -  I don't think they're out to show you up just 'cause they disagree with you about hockey uniforms.

It's no secret that mine and Ice Cap's opinions on uniforms are about as opposite they can be.  I can admit that I misread his comment and overreacted in a negative way.  My bad.

37 minutes ago, Morgo said:

This is a good thing?  The Panthers started out with a striping pattern that was unique to the league and looked great.  Why do they need to use a half-assed (and half-striped) approximation of the Canadien's look?  It's tacky, unoriginal and they now look nothing like the team that made the finals in 1996.  Toronto's jerseys were a one-off and although the Wild's new homes look better than they have since 2007, they'd be better without the chest stripe.  B-mer's concept proves that without a shadow of a doubt.

I’m happy the chest stripes are more common now; that’s not necessarily an endorsement any specific look. I don’t think it’s fair to call the Panthers a half-assed Canadiens... I don’t think they’re all that similar, aside from the pattern of the chest stripe and matching sleeve stripes. Different color scheme, they also use the chest stripe on the road, and the stripe doesn’t continue to the back. The Panthers’ current look over the 90s version? I could go either way on that. I think they’re both good looks, but reliving glory of one Eastern Conference championship over 20 years ago shouldn’t be a factor in deciding which uniforms to wear. The other ones just come down to opinion.

i think we should stop judging uniforms based on how they compare to past looks.

if the panthers weren't wearing what they currently wear, they likely wouldn't be wearing the inaugural uniforms either... i mean, it's been a while since they wore those. it doesn't seem like it's a very likely option at this point, despite how much i like them. (i own an authentic white, and it is one of my favorites)

the current panthers uniforms are actually pretty unique and distinctive. i've never seen their highlights on TV and mistaken them for anyone else at all. i actually really like the color balance, too. how the red/yellow/white play upon each other to give it a very sunshine-state bright vibe, that is anchored by the navy pants and accessories. it's a good look. i even like the half chest stripe, as it solves one of the main problems that the white canadiens alternate always has, with lack of contrast between numbers and chest stripe. it's a good look, that is a few tweaks away from great, imo.

while i'd give the inaugural panthers look an A+, i give the current look an A- or a B+.

to gripe about how this isn't as good as what they wore 20 years ago feels less like a critique on any specific uniform, and more of a condemnation of the entire culture of sports uniforms changing and evolving over time. teams redesign. constantly. it's sort of what this community is about. if every team just found their one most iconic uniform in history and never changed, things would actually get pretty boring, and throwbacks would be a dead art.

the new panthers are pretty sweet. i like them. i don't love the logos, but the uniform as a whole really looks nice to me. (but i'm one of the few that actually thinks the new leaping panther isn't as nice looking as the original... so i'm not that butt-hurt of its omission from the sweaters.)

I actually don't get a Sunshine State vibe from the Panthers. If anything, I get more of the "luxury brand" feel that BrandMooreArt will tell you was in mind for the Dolphins, which I think is something the very Palm-Beach/Broward-specific Panthers organization always wanted under old management when they were practically teabagging you with their Lexus partnership (and older management running away from Miami-Dade). Even the logo could believably be a luxury car logo. So that's where I think they're at: a Miami sports team that's not just for hoi polloi like so many sportsball teams but also, uh, Army or something.

The half-chest stripe isn't a big problem because it continues to the arms and from there you don't think too much about it needing to go all the way around the body. The numbers continue it in spirit, which is why it's a problem, like I said, that the whites have the numbers in blue and not red. 

4 hours ago, ColeJ said:

If the panthers weren't wearing what they currently wear, they likely wouldn't be wearing the inaugural uniforms either... i mean, it's been a while since they wore those. it doesn't seem like it's a very likely option at this point, despite how much i like them. (i own an authentic white, and it is one of my favorites)

Why not?  In 2011 they were still using the inaugural logo and made the decision to go back to red for the first time since 2003.  If they had looked to their past and replaced the awful edge template with their original striping (could do without the triangular yokes), it's likely the new re-brand wouldn't have been necessary.  The Edge implementation ruined their jerseys and instead of simply correcting the mistake, they threw out everything good about their brand.  Anytime you didn't see the jerseys, it held up nicely.  Better than the soccer-shield IMO.

nnP9z08.png

You know what, I could get on board with spelling the entire name out on the crest. The home/road split doesn't sit right with me because I hate split primaries and theirs amount to a distinction without a difference. It's a tight fit, but I can deal: 

Mh5fYUg.jpg

Better yet would be no lettering at all, which I believe @CreamSoda mocked up nicely one time but I'll leave it to him to share it, hence my pinging him.

You could argue that the NHL's team names shared with other leagues (Rangers, Panthers, Jets, in a better world than ours the Tigers) should strive to give equal or near-equal play to the location name to better reduce any ambiguity out there.

Archived