NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

58 minutes ago, jdavidev said:

I completely agree.  The Navy and orange just don't sit well with me for the Oilers.  And I also think the Navy works much better for the Islanders anyways.  I think the 2007 set was their best look ever and wish they could go back to it.

Islanders25.png

I'm with you on this opinion. Get rid of the goofy chest # and this is the best the isles have ever looked. Navy or blue, doesn't matter to me, I love the orange sleeves on this set

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, M4One said:

You either must have been working really long hours and is very tired or sick and don't know what you are talking about.  Either way, there's no way, even with differing opinions, can the 2007 set be the best ever look for the Islanders.  If you were to say the set before Reebok ruined hockey, then I would agree with you.

Nope.  This set has fantastic color balance.  It's fresh and classic at the same time.  The Navy works here (where it fails for the current Oilers) but it would also work with Royal blue.  I like the Islanders classic 80's look, but it's not iconic, rather generic.  The logo is the most iconic part, and that is retained for the 2007 set.  And I don't like how the hem and sleeve stripes have evolved over the years, too clunky and too over-reliant on white for the home jersey.

Honestly, I think you can make the case that the 07-09 set is close to the Isles best look. Simply because I don’t think Isles have ever worn a truly great jersey by my estimation. 

I pointed it out a couple pages back but the striping on their classic jerseys is awkward and utilises the colours somewhat poorly. 

I think the navy and orange contrast on the 2007 set looks good and the arm striping is more interesting than the pre-Edge set. Sans front numbers and phantom yoke, it’s a 6 or 7/10 look and thus not really worse than anything else they’ve worn.

Their 70s/80s jerseys are a 7/10 at best, the early 2000s set a 6/10, and the Fishsticks are an LOL/10 with side marks in its favour for at least being fun. 

The 2007 set fails becaus there’s WAY to much orange on both sets. It kinda works for the home, but it looks awful on the road. The full colored sleeve also looks terrible. It sort of works for the penguins who manage to have some history behind the design too. 

The current set, (minus collars) is the best the Islanders have ever looked. The jerseys both have great color balance, using the right colors in the right place. The Islanders are over relying on white at home, it’s the perfect amount. 

The Current set is what a hockey jersey should be. The 07 set fails the same way that most do, because it looks like it belongs for either football or NASCAR

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

32 minutes ago, joekono said:

Congrats! You're now in the "most unpopular opinion" Hall of Fame. 2007 Islanders uniforms.....yuck!

Most is definitely an over exaggeration, you're reacting as if we're calling the "fishsticks" set their best uniform ever. As Prince Harry mentioned, the Isles have never really had a great jersey.

54 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Most is definitely an over exaggeration, you're reacting as if we're calling the "fishsticks" set their best uniform ever. As Prince Harry mentioned, the Isles have never really had a great jersey. 

I don't know if Prince Harry is right on that. I'm rather fond of their Dynasty Era set.

The Fisherman look was really bad, but at least it had character. Too much character, but at least it forced you to take notice.

The 2007 Isles' look is so damn busy yet uninteresting. They didn't do anything new compared to the previous set. They mostly just muddled things up with contrasting sleeve stripes and front numbers.

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't know if Prince Harry is right on that. I'm rather fond of their Dynasty Era set.

The Fisherman look was really bad, but at least it had character. Too much character, but at least it forced you to take notice.

The 2007 Isles' look is so damn busy yet uninteresting. They didn't do anything new compared to the previous set. They mostly just muddled things up with contrasting sleeve stripes and front numbers.

It's not really a matter of right/wrong though, it's entirely opinion. Ignoring the front numbers and the phantom yoke (even though I personally like that element) I fail to see how it's such a bad jersey. Consider the Penguins and the Red Wings' aways, both get praised and feature contrasting sleeves, yet I'm not a fan of the Penguins jersey because of the sleeves. It's all opinion.

Olemec, you obviously haven't been on this board long enough to know there is a "most unpopular opinion thread" ,but that is what I meant. The dynasty era are classic uniforms with a clever logo. I really don't think many people were happy about the change because I remember the outcry. You obviously have jumped on the navy blue band wagon which makes this board great, opinions.

5 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I'm still not sold on the 25th anniversary logo and I don't think I ever will be.

I just can't deal with the pregnant 5. It doesn't work.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The praise the Islanders first Edge set is getting is baffling.  Even if you 86'ed the front numbers & phantom shoulder yokes, you still have those awkwardly tapered sleeve stripes to sink the design.

12 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Islanders best set is this:

Islanders19.png

Agreed.  This set is everything a successful update needs to be and has the best number treatment in the history of the franchise.

17 hours ago, Olmec said:

It's not really a matter of right/wrong though, it's entirely opinion. Ignoring the front numbers and the phantom yoke (even though I personally like that element) I fail to see how it's such a bad jersey. Consider the Penguins and the Red Wings' aways, both get praised and feature contrasting sleeves, yet I'm not a fan of the Penguins jersey because of the sleeves. It's all opinion.

Of course it’s all opinion, but this is a message board after all. Opinions are free game to be disagreed with. Otherwise what’s the point of discussion? So we can all circlejerk eachother for having opinions? Nah. If you put your opinion out there everyone else has the right to say “I don’t agree and here’s why...”

On the topic of the Islanders’ 2007 set.

“Ignoring the front numbers and the phantom yoke...”

This is right up there with posts about how the Tampa Bay Bucs’ uniforms are good if only you look past the horrid numbers, too big helmet logo, and bad pants stripes. 

Would the Islanders’ 2007 set look better without the phantom yoke and front numbers? Sure. It’s immaterial though because the uniform had them. So we can only judge the uniforms on what they were. Not on a hypothetical “better” version. 

As for the Penguins and Red Wings’ contrasting sleeves? Context, man. Those teams established those looks as their own. You even had people calling for their return in Pittsburgh after the team dropped them. To the point that they eventually relented. 

The Islanders didn’t have that history with contrasting sleeves. They already had an established look when they went to them. It just felt off. Like when the Flyers once tried a sweater with a traditional shoulder yoke. The idea isn’t inherently bad, but it’s not a good look for this team. 

And of course the Isles made it worse by adding the phantom yoke and front numbers. Which cluttered an already busy design. 

Not to mention the “tapered to conform to the Edge template” stripes @Morgo pointed out. 

It’s just a bad look, in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Agreed.  This set is everything a successful update needs to be and has the best number treatment in the history of the franchise.

I miss the four stripe alternate logo :( 

Another sin of the 2007 set? It killed the previous set. The 2007 set was so bad it just killed off any interest anyone had in the navy and orange colour scheme. 

The Islanders could still very well be wearing the pre-Edge update of the Dynasty look had the 2007 change not occurred.

Archived