NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

The avs third is a nice sweater, I just love the new homes so much it will suck to have the alt take its place 12 times a year...

Seriously. It was fine when the Avs' sweaters were Edge 1.0 crap, but now that the team returned to (and improved upon) their classic sweaters, it just feels out-of-place in their identity.

The team has never really had a good third sweater. Both Rangers-style wordmark sets looked goofy, while the Colorado Colorados is just bland and muddles the identity. Maybe using steel/slate blue as the base color, with burgundy breezers, would improve the third?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

It would be an okay jersey if not for the shoulder flag. I don't understand the need for it, especially since the alternate logo is basically the Colorado flag in a shape and in Avs colors.

To sell jerseys...

Just walk around any Colorado city and half the people have the Colorado "C" somewhere on their clothing...

3 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

The Avs just posted this a couple minutes ago. No real surprise that the navy alt is back.

I really don't understand why they use that thinner captain's C instead of using a white version of their regular captain's C.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I expressed my opinions on the Rockies fauxback the last time they wore it, suffice to say I'm not a fan of it. The navy's unnecessary, the logo's a generic, bootleg version of the Hockey Rockies logo, and frankly I don't even think the Hockey Rockies are worth remembering in this way  - they accomplished absolutely nothing of note for 6 years, left, and then their name was taken by a newer, better, more relevant baseball team.

8 hours ago, jdavidev said:

I think it's damn hideous and muddles their brand.  I hate mixing colors for thirds, and only tolerated when it's a historic throwback.  Even then, the Green Bay Packers look ridiculous wearing navy, the Jets wearing navy, and the Eagles wearing satin blue.  I don't like Columbus wearing union blue, nor the old Panthers doing the same thing.

A third jersey is a perfect opportunity to step outside your brand and try something new, tell a more specific or local story, etc., without having to commit to changing your actual brand. A third jersey that’s the same, but different, is what muddles brands.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

A third jersey is a perfect opportunity to step outside your brand and try something new, tell a more specific or local story, etc., without having to commit to changing your actual brand. A third jersey that’s the same, but different, is what muddles brands.

I'd have to disagree with this a little bit. Imo that logo should not be on the uniform, One it's a modernized version of a team that has nothing to do with the Avalanche franchise and they were awful to begin with. Two imo the logo itself wether it's related to the rockies or not just doesn't go well with the brand since the Avalanche already have their "A" logo which resembles the shape of a mountain already so what's the need for a different Mountain logo that comes from a completely different franchise. The Avalanche could have still gone a different rout with the navy blue on the uniform. I understand they're going for a Colorado uniform inspired by the state. What I would have done if they wanted to keep the different direction with the navy blue and keep the white shoulders which are supposed to resemble the snow capped mountains, I would have taken the mountain logo off and replaced that with the Diagonal "Colorado" from the older alternates. You still keep the rest of the uniform so it'll still be a uniform that honors the state of Colorado (if someone could mock that up for me that would be great I have all of these ideas but absolutely zero skill whatsoever to mock anything up). With all of that said I wish they would have brought these back instead.

ekcen407mek01.png

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

20 hours ago, M4One said:

The shoulder yoke on Colorado's third is weird looking.  Would have looked better if it were rounded.  The flag shoulder logo is plain lazy.  I really think they are missing an opportunity to go with a burgundy alternate.  Their very first might actually have been their best uniform except for the diagonal script.  Certainly their best alternate jersey.

I like that the Jets third is a call back to a previous jersey from the Jets 1.0.  But, and it's a big but, script logos should not be on the front of any jersey, not even on an alternate.  Had they included a jet flying through the script, similar to the logo that was on the jersey they are basing this on, I might have given it a pass.

As for the Sharks, seems like the design on the sleeves might be circuitry since it's silicon valley.  I like what they did with the logo.  

Finally, teams are definitely realizing how ridiculous the collar is and making the necessary adjustments.

Huh? There's literally a simplified Jet flying through the "T" 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

I'd have to disagree with this a little bit. Imo that logo should not be on the uniform, One it's a modernized version of a team that has nothing to do with the Avalanche franchise and they were awful to begin with. Two imo the logo itself wether it's related to the rockies or not just doesn't go well with the brand since the Avalanche already have their "A" logo which resembles the shape of a mountain already so what's the need for a different Mountain logo that comes from a completely different franchise. The Avalanche could have still gone a different rout with the navy blue on the uniform. I understand they're going for a Colorado uniform inspired by the state. What I would have done if they wanted to keep the different direction with the navy blue and keep the white shoulders which are supposed to resemble the snow capped mountains, I would have taken the mountain logo off and replaced that with the Diagonal "Colorado" from the older alternates. You still keep the rest of the uniform so it'll still be a uniform that honors the state of Colorado (if someone could mock that up for me that would be great I have all of these ideas but absolutely zero skill whatsoever to mock anything up). With all of that said I wish they would have brought these back instead.

ekcen407mek01.png

But then couldn’t you just turn and say that they’re wearing a modernized version of what another active NHL team (with nothing to do with the Avs OR Colorado) wears and has owned since the 1920s. Whether or not you like what they chose to celebrate with their third jersey is kind of irrelevant to the point, which is that a third jersey is the appropriate canvas for that. If they had tossed this mark on the shoulder of their home and road jerseys, I would probably agree with you, but a third jersey is a tributary of the brand. It might stay very close to the main brand, and that’s okay, but the Avs wanted to stray farther and celebrate the history of Colorado hockey (which is bigger than just them), and that’s okay, too. They ended up with a logo that Coloradans love, is inspired by the Rockies, and puts a new spin on the Avalanche name with its warning sign format rather than a literal depiction of a puck riding an ice luge down a mountain.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'd rather see them go full Rockies with the original logo and the state flag colors. I really don't like how the new logo changes the silhouette of the mountain to a perfect triangle, and I remember the Reebok version of the alt looking really dull on TV. Hopefully the burgundy pops more on the new ones, at least.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

But you've got to admit, the Avs can get away with this in a way that, say, the Wild can't were they to play in North Stars jerseys. The logo the Avs are wearing here isn't just of the Colorado Rockies, but it also appears on the state's flag. It's just as easy to say this is inspired by the flag as it is by the Rockies. 

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

But then couldn’t you just turn and say that they’re wearing a modernized version of what another active NHL team (with nothing to do with the Avs OR Colorado) wears and has owned since the 1920s. Whether or not you like what they chose to celebrate with their third jersey is kind of irrelevant to the point, which is that a third jersey is the appropriate canvas for that. If they had tossed this mark on the shoulder of their home and road jerseys, I would probably agree with you, but a third jersey is a tributary of the brand. It might stay very close to the main brand, and that’s okay, but the Avs wanted to stray farther and celebrate the history of Colorado hockey (which is bigger than just them), and that’s okay, too. They ended up with a logo that Coloradans love, is inspired by the Rockies, and puts a new spin on the Avalanche name with its warning sign format rather than a literal depiction of a puck riding an ice luge down a mountain.

Yes that is true that design will always be synonymous with the New York Rangers but it's often replicated. A ton of teams wether it's NHL, College, and High School have donned that design and it will always be remembered as a Rangers but it's also a Classic hockey jersey design. Just like the Michigan football helmet will always be recognized as Michigan's Helmet but it's also a classic football helmet design that is replicated all the time. When the Avalanche entered the league their Home & Away sets were perfect it was a modern yet traditional set kind of like the Denver Broncos set was modern at the time now we call it a Modern but traditional look. Anyway I thought the Avalanche's sets were perfect and that they were a team that did not need a 3rd Jersey. However when they unveiled the Burgundy "Colorado" Alternates it was a different design then the Home & Away but it still had that classic hockey sweater look and I thought it fit well with the team. Maybe my love for this jersey is because my grand parents gifted me one for Christmas when it came out idk but I know a lot of people  loved those and I know a lot of people love these current ones and I get your points and where you're coming from and what the Avs are trying to do. Maybe after sometime these will grow on me. 

Letsgoblue.png

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Like I said in the other thread, if the Avs wanted to step outside of their brand and do a "Colorado Pride/Rockies" inspired jersey, then they should commit to it and use the colors that apply to that inspiration (blue/red/yellow) rather than bastardizing it all and having the result be unrecognizable from both the actual team and the inspiration they were trying to capture. 

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I really don't agree with that assessment in principle nor practice in this case. The Avs have a unique color scheme that includes 4 colors plus white. There are many different directions they can go with the Jersey to make it an extension of their brand without changing/adding a new color. A color that is between two of their current colors of black and light blue. 

On top of that, the implementation is poor with a very dark color combined with another dark color and then white yoke with no outline? It looks like the cheap CCM practice jerseys you get for roller hockey cause you don't care.

20 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

But you've got to admit, the Avs can get away with this in a way that, say, the Wild can't were they to play in North Stars jerseys. The logo the Avs are wearing here isn't just of the Colorado Rockies, but it also appears on the state's flag. It's just as easy to say this is inspired by the flag as it is by the Rockies. 

No I get that I don't have a problem with the "C" that appears on the state flag (I liked the Yeti foot better) and on the logo I just don't like the mountain they put the "C" on. 

Letsgoblue.png

Archived