NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The city was home to one of the founding members of the NHL, and the league's first dynasty. While using the expansion logo on the banners was a mistake (which has since been corrected), I don't see any problem with honouring those past teams.

People don't seem to complain about the Winnipeg Jets hanging Avco Cup banners in their arena. 

Again, there’s a difference between paying tribute to your city’s hockey history and pretending you’re the same team. The jets don’t have their modern rounded logo saying “Avco Cup champions”. 

The entirety of the current senators identity seems to oscillate between pretending they’re a historic team that they aren’t, and a faux-Roman identity that seems to be getting worse over time.

They should either come up with something new or go back to the original 2D centurion.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1992 logo shouldn't be on those banners but it'd be daft not to honor that many Stanley Cups. Of course, it's also crazy that a team could have that much success and still go out of business; maybe the desire to treat the current Senators as a reactivation of the original isn't so bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Because it gives the incorrect impression that the current franchise won those championships.

The Avco Cup banners don’t use the current Jets logo though. It’s clear those are historical in nature and not meant to represent the present team’s accomplishments. 

My biggest issue with the Sens’ banners was that they used the 1992 logo on them. That mistake seems to have been corrected, so I don’t have a problem with them. Like admiral said, that’s a significant chunk of hockey history.

3 hours ago, Placebo said:

Even though I disagree with that, so what? They are Avco Cup victories.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Avco Cup banners don’t use the current Jets logo though. It’s clear those are historical in nature and not meant to represent the present team’s accomplishments.

Points taken.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I think there's a difference between honoring the history of former teams and pretending to be those teams. I understand that the Browns and Hornets deals give a lot of people trepidation over stuff like that, but I have no problems with teams in these situations honoring past championships and alumni, and even adopting the names, colors, and logos of the former franchise (provided they're not currently in use by the original team). Hell, that's basically what the Mets did over 50 years ago.

This could just be a matter of something getting overlooked in Photoshop, but it appears that all of the pictures of this year's "Authentic" 3rd jerseys on NHL Shop don't have the little round adidas doodad on the front hem.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think what the teams should do is hang those banners inside the arena on the concourse and have a mural or display with info about that championship instead of having them hang above the ice.  This way, the team honours the past, but there should be no confusion as to whether the current franchise won the Stanley Cup or Avco Cup, in the case of the Jets.  

7 hours ago, M4One said:

I think what the teams should do is hang those banners inside the arena on the concourse and have a mural or display with info about that championship instead of having them hang above the ice.  This way, the team honours the past, but there should be no confusion as to whether the current franchise won the Stanley Cup or Avco Cup, in the case of the Jets.  

It's not a matter of confusion. If they hung their banners in the concourses instead, the same people would be mad the same way. Some fans and bloggers think they have an obligation to cut down teams like the Jets and the Senators and their fans and make sure they don't get any big ideas about themselves. Why this is necessary, no one's ever adequately explained to me; all those teams do is get kicked in the dick over and over. TSN can't cut to Teemu Selanne in a press box without some Twitter know-it-all asswipe popping off with "dont they know theyre supposed to be showing ilya kovalchuk because theyre actually the thrashers? big if true."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Umm hi guys, we have a re-instatement certificate signed by Joyn Ziegler himself, so if you could kindly all quit it with your manufactured outrage about where banners are being placed, that'd be super great. We're having a rough enough time as it is lately. Thanks in advance :)

thecatch.jpg

5 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

Umm hi guys, we have a re-instatement certificate signed by Joyn Ziegler himself, so if you could kindly all quit it with your manufactured outrage about where banners are being placed, that'd be super great. We're having a rough enough time as it is lately. Thanks in advance :)

This.  I remember this from the opening night ceremonies in 1992 (pretty sure I have a VHS somewhere at my parents' place). Ziegler came out for a ceremony to declare that to the NHL the Senators weren't technically an expansion franchise, but one that had been dormant for almost 60 years. They were being "re-admitted" to the NHL as a result so that the new franchise could claim the old history.

9 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

The record books say it’s an expansion team with no connection to the old squad, so we’re sticking with it. Heck, the paper trail is less concrete than the “un-merger” that split the Seals/Barons/Sharks off from the North Stars.

16 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Another unexpected third jersey?

I'd be surprised if the Bruins wore that one...all of their branding (even on the new WC jersey) uses the modern black B instead of the old yellow one. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived