NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Has any other relocated team done a throwback jersey to their original city? This looks to be the first.

Atlanta --> Calgary

Kansas City --> Colorado --> New Jersey

North Stars --> Dallas

Quebec --> Colorado

Winnipeg --> Phoenix

Hartford --> Carolina (doing Whalers throwback)

Atlanta --> Winnipeg

If the Dallas Stars ever try to bring out a North Stars throwback, that myth of "Minnesota Nice" will disappear faster than you can say Norm Green.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

29 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Has any other relocated team done a throwback jersey to their original city? This looks to be the first.

Atlanta --> Calgary

Kansas City --> Colorado --> New Jersey

North Stars --> Dallas

Quebec --> Colorado

Winnipeg --> Phoenix

Hartford --> Carolina (doing Whalers throwback)

Atlanta --> Winnipeg

I don't know if you count this but the current Jets wearing the old Jets (now Arizona) look?

I think the Avs wore Nordiques jerseys once too but that might have just been in a pre-game skate.  

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

5 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I think the Avs wore Nordiques jerseys once too but that might have just been in a pre-game skate.  

It was actually in Quebec City playing the Habs and it was former Nordiques players only and only for the warmup. This was more about respect than about money.

Just now, jp1409 said:

Former Nordiques players only and warmup only. This was more about respect than about money.

Gotcha! Thanks, I did a quick google but couldn't find anything. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

29 minutes ago, selby56 said:

The Tennessee Titans have worn throwback uniforms to the Houston Oilers. I don't see why some people are fussing over this. 

Has your favorite local team ever relocated? The one that you grew up following on tv before Internet, the one that had it's logo on your bedding while growing up, the one you have so many memories attending their games with your family? Believe me, it sucks badly and you wouldn't like to see some douchebag owners that took your team away cashing in trying to justify "pride" in what they took from you while not giving a :censored:...

13 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Has your favorite local team ever relocated? The one that you grew up following on tv before Internet, the one that had it's logo on your bedding while growing up, the one you have so many memories attending their games with your family? Believe me, it sucks badly and you wouldn't like to see some douchebag owners that took your team away cashing in trying to justify "pride" in what they took from you...

I'm a Browns fan. So yes. 

But my point is no one seemed up in arms with the Titans for the Oilers throwbacks. Why is it that the Hurricanes are getting so much backlash? 

T1oYViW.png

21 minutes ago, selby56 said:

The Tennessee Titans have worn throwback uniforms to the Houston Oilers. I don't see why some people are fussing over this. 

They were the Tennessee Oilers at one point

Spoiler

and still should be.

Just now, Prince Harry said:

Houston had a new team by then so it’s not quite as callous in my opinion. 

Actually I think this is worse. They wouldn't let the Houston team be the Houston Oilers because they wanted to make money from Oilers merchandise. And now everyone still wishes at least somewhat that the Houston Texans were the Houston Oilers.

As for the Whalers, Hartford will probably never get another NHL franchise. Is it better to let the Whalers and these uniforms be lost to memory? I don't think so. 

5 minutes ago, selby56 said:

I'm a Browns fan. So yes. 

But my point is no one seemed up in arms with the Titans for the Oilers throwbacks. Why is it that the Hurricanes are getting so much backlash? 

I'm sure some people in Cleveland would have killed over the Ravens wearing Browns throwbacks (especially without the deal in place) and pretty much no one would have agreed with such a move...

Just now, jp1409 said:

I'm sure some people in Cleveland would have killed over the Ravens wearing Browns throwbacks and pretty much no one would have agreed with such a move...

You're not wrong. People in Cleveland would have lost it. But this NHL franchise has operated under the name Carolina Hurricanes longer than it has the Hartford Whalers. It is a completely new owner, not the same guy that moved the team. The owner that "stole the team away" isn't the one profiting. At what point is it okay for the Hurricanes to wear uniforms they have the rights to?

T1oYViW.png

1 minute ago, Ark said:

Actually I think this is worse. They wouldn't let the Houston team be the Houston Oilers because they wanted to make money from Oilers merchandise. And now everyone still wishes at least somewhat that the Houston Texans were the Houston Oilers.

As for the Whalers, Hartford will probably never get another NHL franchise. Is it better to let the Whalers and these uniforms be lost to memory? I don't think so. 

Nope! People are, for the most part, satisfied with the Texans and like their branding. Heck, there are many who prefer it to the Oilers' look. Yes, it was a poor decision to relocate, but it's not like the replacement identity was so awful that the original name had to come back (see Charlotte Bob-horne-cats).

People are fine with the Giants and Dodgers doing New York/Brooklyn throwbacks because of the Mets. I doubt anybody wishes or wished that the Mets adopted the Giants or Dodgers' names. Nobody wants the Brewers to be the Braves, nobody wants the Mariners to be the Pilots, and few people really want the Timberwolves to be the Lakers. Also, the NFL retired the Oilers' branding, meaning that the Texans couldn't have adopted the name even if they want to do so. I don't know if this is correct, but I think that means that the league makes money off of Oilers merchandise instead of the Titans. 

Honestly, I'd rather have the Whalers fade into history. If a team relocates, rebrands, and doesn't have a replacement, a throwback is a bad idea. I hope the Nats never even consider an Expos throwback and stand firm on their "let's barely acknowledge that part of our past" sentiment.

2 minutes ago, selby56 said:

You're not wrong. People in Cleveland would have lost it. But this NHL franchise has operated under the name Carolina Hurricanes longer than it has the Hartford Whalers. It is a completely new owner, not the same guy that moved the team. The owner that "stole the team away" isn't the one profiting. At what point is it okay for the Hurricanes to wear uniforms they have the rights to?

I'll go ahead and say never... They should totally leave these guys alone and wear Hurricanes throwbacks if they really wish to wear something different than their ugly current duds.

The Canes bringing back the Whalers for a couple of games is nice, yet weird at the same time.  It's not like Hurricane fans have been clamouring for them.  It would actually make more sense for the Canes to throwback to past teams from the area than this, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

If you've been to New England you'd know there's no possibility of that happening. Whaler gear is everywhere.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived