NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

I guess i could understand it being weird for Hartford fans, but honestly they should just embrace it at this point. Hartford is never getting a team back. Might as well root for Carolina, especially when they are wearing the Whalers throwbacks. Thats the closest its ever gonna be to the Whalers coming back. And technically, it is the same team.

This is a horrendous take.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JQK said:

If you've been to New England you'd know there's no possibility of that happening. Whaler gear is everywhere.

But it's not on the ice.

This will change that. And I wouldn't be surprised if they wear it at least once a season from now on. 

4 minutes ago, Ark said:

But it's not on the ice.

This will change that. And I wouldn't be surprised if they wear it at least once a season from now on. 

It shouldn't be on the ice, is the point. 

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

11 hours ago, selby56 said:

For some reason the rest of the fanbase throws a fit anytime the Whalers are even brought up.

The reason is that everyone likes the Whalers and doesn't like them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

it would certainly be weird if the Coyotes wore Jets 1.0 throwbacks...

They can't, they don't own the rights

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Can't wait for Winnipeg to bush out those Thrashers throwbacks. 

They can't, they don't own the rights

Believe so, and there's a distinct lack of retro Thrashers merchandise available, which was not the case with the Nordiques, North Stars, or Jets (the Whalers' marks were owned by Connecticut for a long time and only recently did the NHL get to tap that vein). I guess they only exist in the land of wind and ghosts now.

3JcP71S.jpg

【 I've got good news! Those Jets you like are going to come back in style.】

9 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

I've observed it before, that despite them being defunct for 20 years the Whalers have as big a fan base, if not a bigger (or at least a louder) one, than the team they turned into does.

Does wearing a team's apparel really make you a fan though?

Many just wear stuff to look "cool" , and in this case perhaps more hipster/nerdy. It ain't exactly LA Raiders throwback gear

12 hours ago, JQK said:

This is a horrendous take.

No, it's not, it's been 20 years, get over it.

The only reason anyone remembers the Whalers is that logo and maybe Gordie Howe playing a season for them 40 years ago. They're wearing the jersey on the ice twice. It's fine.

It honestly hadn't even occurred to me that people would be upset by this. The Whalers have been gone for an entire generation of fans and there's nothing on the horizon suggesting that'll ever change. If they wore them more than twice, that might be overdoing it a bit. Yeah the Whalers are more beloved and have better uniforms and a better logo than the Hurricanes ever had, but this is probably the only way we're seeing this uniform on the ice again. I like it.

I'll admit that I didn't realize there were many fans in Hartford who still lamented the loss of their team. I guess there isn't a whole lot of ink spilled on them, but maybe now there will be.

Hartford never got another team back and don’t have any team in a big four league or even the MLS. I suppose that would add to the bitterness.  They have some minor league teams and I guess the Huskies are close but yeah. 

I can also understand why some Whaler fans would be happy to see their jerseys come back for a couple games. At the same time, other Whalers fans have every right to be upset with it. 

I dont think non-Whaler fans should really be telling Whaler fans how to feel about it though. It’s painful to lose a team and as much as it’s just sports in the grand scheme of things, if you’re a dedicated fan you’re still gonna care. 

I do not care whatsoever about the Hartford Whalers the team, I just think it’s great that we’re getting to see one of the greatest identities in sports back on the ice again. 

As someone with a somewhat esoteric fascination with sports aesthetics that you all share, I think it’s understandable. I’m a diehard Canucks fan, til death do us part, but I still have a Hartford Whalers hat I’ll wear now and again because I love the look. Seeing as the team doesn’t really exist anymore I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

Archived