NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

Oooooooooh, this is just in the video game.

Sorry, I'm late to the game. I have to say, I like the outlet for outside the box creativity. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B-mer said:

8ldefad.png

• Detroit isn't bad, but its also not good for Detroit because the Habs exist.
  • Montreal isn't terrible either, but when you're the Habs, you shouldn't be taking that crest off the front. 
  • New York and Toronto are the 90s alternates we should have gotten. If those took the ice in 1996, it wouldn't be out of place.
  • Chicago... no. I get it, take the logo colors and put them all over, but no
  • Boston is the worst one. I don't understand that one at all.

All in all, I can't be that mad. These aren't real or tangible things. It's just like some application of the concepts forum.

All this will do for me is make me want to beat someone even harder in NHL19.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

39 minutes ago, B-mer said:

Boston’s is trying to play up being the first US based team but doesn’t work well.  If they were a patriotic themed team like the Patriots or Capitals then maybe it'd work better.

Detroits is the most normal looking.

It’s about Boston being a hub of the American revolution. Hence the thirteen stripes and the circle of stars, and the sleeve/sock striping is inspired by the liveries of the boats that were ransacked during the Boston Tea Party.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Here’s a question, then: let’s say these teams hypothetically want to be a little creative and have fun or experiment with some “what if’s.” What is the best outlet for that? If it’s not on the ice for a game (which I think is a reasonable stance), and it’s not in a video game, then where?

I remember back in the 90s I had a really cool black Starter Rangers fashion sweater. Same design as the (then) road blues, just with the body of the sweater swapping the blue for black. 

Anyway I, at 10-11 years old, thought it was cool at the time. And you know what? Looking back? I still think it’s cool! 

It makes no sense given the Rangers’ branding and it would be utterly disgusting if they ever wore something like that on the ice. 

As an off-ice fashion sweater though? I still don’t mind it, and even like it. I’d grab an adult-sized one in a heartbeat if I could find one. 

There’s no rule that says something has to be worn in a game. Most of Starter’s fashion sweaters from the 90s were retail-only and given how many of them they made? They must have been selling reasonably well. 

So I’m not seeing why something that deviates from a team’s branding HAS to be worn on the ice. 

Now to your point? That’s sort of what these are! They’re not on-ice designs, they’re for a video game. And so yeah. In that context they’re fine (though I find Toronto’s to be very lazy design-wise). 

I dont have a problem with these as video game-only uniforms. And if they made physical sweaters to sell? Again, no issue.

The comments of mine you quoted, however, were in response to people saying O6 teams should wear stuff like this on the ice. And that’s what I take issue with. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I remember back in the 90s I had a really cool black Starter Rangers fashion sweater. Same design as the (then) road blues, just with the body of the sweater swapping the blue for black. 

Anyway I, at 10-11 years old, thought it was cool at the time. And you know what? Looking back? I still think it’s cool! 

It makes no sense given the Rangers’ branding and it would be utterly disgusting if they ever wore something like that on the ice. 

As an off-ice fashion sweater though? I still don’t mind it, and even like it. I’d grab an adult-sized one in a heartbeat if I could find one. 

There’s no rule that says something has to be worn in a game. Most of Starter’s fashion sweaters from the 90s were retail-only and given how many of them they made? They most have been selling reasonably well. 

So I’m not seeing why something that deviates from a team’s branding HAS to be worn on the ice. 

Now to your point? That’s sort of what these are! They’re not on-ice designs, they’re for a video game. And so yeah. In that context they’re fine (though I find Toronto’s to be very lazy design-wise). 

I dont have a problem with these as video game-only uniforms. And if they made physical sweaters to sell? Again, no issue.

The comments of mine you quoted, however, were in response to people saying O6 teams should wear stuff like this on the ice. And that’s what I take issue with. 

Assuming that you were taking about my comment, I anticipated something totally different than what was unveiled. The only one I’d ever want to see on the ice is Detroit’s. 

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

^^^ @monkeypower hit the nail on the head. My main issue with Toronto’s is that it’s so expected for something meant to be creative and away from the norm. 

Go to the Concepts section and look around. Most concepts that want to mix things up for the Leafs just do what this does-make a blue version of the Summit Series Canada sweaters. 

Kind of a mixed bag here but at least they're not 2014 Stadium Series levels of 'futuristic'. Not that I'll ever see them anyway as EA doesn't like making NHL games for Nintendo systems.

@DrAwesomeberry beat me to it as I'm typing this, but yeah, Detroit's is basically the same as the 2009 Winter Classic uniform. It comes off as a bit lazy, but if I were a Wings fan comparing it to the rest, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Montreal's is nice, and I could see something like this being used as an alternate if, for some reason, they ever felt the need to introduce one.

I agree with @Still MIGHTY's sentiment that the Leafs and Rangers are straight up 90's thirds. Interesting way of basing the designs around their logos, but for some reason I dislike the Rangers one more.

Chicago, well, I guess it makes sense to include the other colours from the logo. This one apparently took inspiration from "the vibrant energy of Chicago" but it reminds me more of an inkjet printer gone wrong.

Boston's may well be the most creative of the bunch, but it's also gone a bit overboard with the torso stripes. Not sure if I like it or not.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Detroit's is the only one that looks good and that's because it was something from the team's past.  The rest are a complete mess, including the Leafs.  This is the problem when people try to get too deep with the uniform designs.  Not everything has to mean something.  The jerseys/logos need to look good first, then come up with the mumbo jumbo for the presentation.  Even though it was only for the game, these designers should never ever be allowed to work on another NHL jersey again.  I think alternate jerseys, whether just for the game or for the actual teams, should allow the Original 6 teams to try different things with the their looks like the Rangers Liberty jersey, but these were over the top.

Despite being a completely different sports, the Bruins remind me of the Hamilton Ti-Cats.  

260px-MikeKerriganTiCats.jpg

5 hours ago, B-mer said:

8ldefad.png

In my opinion Red Wings and Blackhawks could be easily a real thing even if Chciago look like unused concept from 90's. I like both.

Montreal maybe too, but I'd prefer Canadiens crest instead of MTL or at least full name of city.

Rangers I really like socks, not sure about jersey. Mixed feelings

Maple Leafs looks like Canada jersey from NHL 2001 (and others) which I assume was based of Summit Series uniform.

Boston it a hot mess, intentions could be good, but execution is bad. Stripes looking like out of place.

Big issue for all jerseys is an adidas logo on front, but is not a big deal since these uniforms are only for video game.

4r2eer.png

In an alternate universe I could totally see the Montreal one being an accepted look for such a storied franchise. I like the old fashioned simplicity and utilitarian look.

New York and Toronto, making the logo fill the entire jersey? Cute. Not a fan though. The Rangers' one look particularly like one of those crazy Ralph Lauren polo designs.

Detroit... yeah but nah. Looks a bit willy wonka with the striped socks.

Chicago, that's a somewhat radical take, but ultimately it just looks way too busy.

Boston, what.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived