NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

Detroit's alright, but only because it's appropriately "boring" and, as mentioned, they've already worn that design.

Toronto is passable, considering the Summit series reference.

The Rangers could grow on me.

The rest are garbage, and the Bruins look more like something the Pens would wear.

These aren't actually going to be worn are they? What a mockery of the league's venerable old guard teams.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

^^^ @monkeypower hit the nail on the head. My main issue with Toronto’s is that it’s so expected for something meant to be creative and away from the norm. 

Go to the Concepts section and look around. Most concepts that want to mix things up for the Leafs just do what this does-make a blue version of the Summit Series Canada sweaters. 

The teams are still the gatekeepers, even if it’s just a digital uniform. If some of them seem undercooked or overly derivative, it’s because, in the range of baby step to giant leap, that’s just how far the team was comfortable going (as  is always the process).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, M4One said:

Even though it was only for the game, these designers should never ever be allowed to work on another NHL jersey again.

? I’m sure our pink slips are already in the mail!

Honestly, though, what do you think is “deep” about any of these? Save for Boston, they’re all low-hanging fruit concepts (for better or worse) that can be understood in a few seconds by most people who are familiar with hockey.

1. A throwback with a current Wing ’N’ Wheel slapped on it.

2. A giant Rangers shield.

3. A Leafs spin on a classic, yet loud, Team Canada design.

4. Feathers turned to a Pendleton blanket/woven tapestry stripe.

5. A literal Bleu/Blanc/Rouge uniform.

6. As mentioned, the only one that departs from hockey and/or team imagery to make its point (Boston’s done black and gold so many different ways over the decades, this was by far the hardest one to design for).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

44 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Honestly, though, what do you think is “deep” about any of these? Save for Boston, they’re all low-hanging fruit concepts (for better or worse) that can be understood in a few seconds by most people who are familiar with hockey.

6. As mentioned, the only one that departs from hockey and/or team imagery to make its point (Boston’s done black and gold so many different ways over the decades, this was by far the hardest one to design for).

Yeah right, I mean tell me about it.

The big question I have is whether Chinese counterfeiters will have those Blackhawks monstrosities up on eBay in time for Christmas, so that they can be the hottest thing going at United Center come January.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd be all for the Original Six getting creative and trying something out-of-the-box for one game.  This isn't it.  The only remotely creative element to be found on these jerseys is Chicago's striping, and it doesn't look good.

I'm pretty sure McDonough only permits alternates for the Blackhawks under extreme protest: the last few outdoor one-offs have been as close to the normal design as possible, the Dark Period blacks only lasted a year the second time around, and the 2009 Winter Classic design only lasted a year or maybe two as a regular alternate.

I've never seen an Original Six alternate I've liked unless you count the Habs' white sweater with the belly stripe.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, Morgo said:

I'd be all for the Original Six getting creative and trying something out-of-the-box for one game.  This isn't it.  The only remotely creative element to be found on these jerseys is Chicago's striping, and it doesn't look good.

Can you give us an example of a “creative element?”

34 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Can you give us an example of a “creative element?”

The Liberty jersey was a perfect example of how to get creative with an original six team.  A crest based off a city landmark, using new colours that don't stray too far from the overall look, a different (albeit failed) take on the primary logo (the only bad thing about the uniform), new striping, etc.

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Have the Red Wings ever been receptive to something more radical dealing with octopus imagery and/or the number 8? For a one off, I feel like they have a lot of potential to do something unique but end up getting scared because they are such a traditional team. And then when they go traditional on their thirds/special jerseys, it just doesn't seem all that great because their traditional uniforms are always going to beat the traditional type of one-offs they've had.

15 minutes ago, msu said:

Have the Red Wings ever been receptive to something more radical dealing with octopus imagery and/or the number 8? For a one off, I feel like they have a lot of potential to do something unique but end up getting scared because they are such a traditional team. And then when they go traditional on their thirds/special jerseys, it just doesn't seem all that great because their traditional uniforms are always going to beat the traditional type of one-offs they've had.

No, not really. They’re a difficult team to design for because of all those things you mentioned. ?

39 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The Liberty jersey was a perfect example of how to get creative with an original six team.  A crest based off a city landmark, using new colours that don't stray too far from the overall look, a different (albeit failed) take on the primary logo (the only bad thing about the uniform), new striping, etc.

I disagree on the Lady Liberty jersey. It’s popular, but i don’t think it’s not all that creative. If most of these are low-hanging fruit on the idea tree, then the Statue of Liberty is fruit that’s already fallen to the ground and decomposed into the earth. If that’s the criteria, though, then I’d argue that most of these check one or two of those boxes. In my opinion, that’s a step in the right direction given that these teams rarely step out to do anything other than a throwback, especially in recent years.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

No, not really. They’re a difficult team to design for because of all those things you mentioned. ?

The Red Wings' normal uniforms are untouchable for good reason, but even as a staunch-traditionalist, I really, really enjoyed the modern "winged-D" from the Stadium series uniforms (I didn't care much for the jersey design, but the logo is a perfect modern take on the Wings' history)

redwingsjersey.jpg?w=1000&h=475&crop=1

If the Wings ever wanted to do an alternate jersey and used that logo either as a crest or on the shoulder, I'd be all for it. You could even use a little darker shade of red like the helmets from the 80 to set it apart from the normal look:

cut.jpg

Lastly, I really don't like the red buckets with the white jerseys look that seems so prevalent for Red Wings' alternate uniforms. This:

LidstromRookie2.jpg

...looks far better (and more like the Red Wings) than this, in my opinion:

53015428.jpg?w=366&h=551

Also, I actually enjoy those digital Blackhawks uniforms much more than their normal black alternate sweaters, where their normal impeccable red/black balance shifts a little too much towards black. 

I never noticed until now how the modernized "D" mimics the tip of the wing on the standard crest, and I really dig it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

DrWIujhVAAAx1Y5?format=jpg&name=900x900

Kings - Old 3rd, why did we have to wait on this?

Leafs - Same as the last time, why did we have to wait on this?

But Tampa, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Tampa. What IS that? It looks like one of those bad league-wide fashion jerseys, the ones where all the elements are black/white or grayed out.

There has to be something going on with the rest of the full uniform, because that is... well... very very not good.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived