NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

39 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It was, or at least the felt made it appear that way. Personally, I’d prefer all the brown pieces match each other even if it means the color isn’t as noticeably brown as it could be (though I do feel the darker brown is a better color for fans, and is probably close to what their original jerseys were before the color got washed and faded away).

Thank you for your insights.

Sometimes, as an outsider, it can seem that when teams aren't sold on an untraditional color (be it teal, purple, brown, etc.), they tend to mute it or don't use it as prominently. I know that's where some of the frustration as a fan is for me.

For example, it's not that the new Sharks third is terrible, it's that it looks like a black onesie, and ON TELEVISION, you can't pick up a lot of the detail unless you have a close-up. If i were consulting teams, I would tell them to go big with colors and striping. The cameras are pretty far away and the lighting in some arenas (a few of the west-coast barns and St. Louis instantly jump to mind) really muddies things.

So, when it comes to the B's sweater, while i think it looks great, if you poll 10 people on what color that is, I think 8 are telling you black. So, it's like...why go halfway? I always -- again as an outsider -- feel that teams associate human qualities to certain colors. Like, we can't have a pink Hitmen jersey because we'll be thought as _____, so we'll do pink accents on a black jersey. Yay, we're tough! I guess I hope team execs aren't saying -- if we go light brown and yellow, we'll look like poo and pee. Because i'm sure that's what some dummy will say on Twitter. 

Just wish teams had the courage of their convictions and really thought how the end product would look like on television, since this is mostly how we're consuming the new designs.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Thank you for your insights.

Sometimes, as an outsider, it can seem that when teams aren't sold on an untraditional color (be it teal, purple, brown, etc.), they tend to mute it or don't use it as prominently. I know that's where some of the frustration as a fan is for me.

For example, it's not that the new Sharks third is terrible, it's that it looks like a black onesie, and ON TELEVISION, you can't pick up a lot of the detail unless you have a close-up. If i were consulting teams, I would tell them to go big with colors and striping. The cameras are pretty far away and the lighting in some arenas (a few of the west-coast barns and St. Louis instantly jump to mind) really muddies things.

So, when it comes to the B's sweater, while i think it looks great, if you poll 10 people on what color that is, I think 8 are telling you black. So, it's like...why go halfway? I always -- again as an outsider -- feel that teams associate human qualities to certain colors. Like, we can't have a pink Hitmen jersey because we'll be thought as _____, so we'll do pink accents on a black jersey. Yay, we're tough! I guess I hope team execs aren't saying -- if we go light brown and yellow, we'll look like poo and pee. Because i'm sure that's what some dummy will say on Twitter. 

Just wish teams had the courage of their convictions and really thought how the end product would look like on television, since this is mostly how we're consuming the new designs.

I’m sure sometimes it’s exactly what you’re describing; overthinking it through the lens of merchandise, but in this case it was simply a match to the brown that’s already available in pants/gloves/helmets. If a team was going brown for their permanent home/road look, there’s more leverage to explore a custom color for all the equipment manufacturers create a new match, but for a single game, it’s typically going to be a stock color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

LA Kings Unveil Silver Alternate Uniform

November 16, 2018 - 20:19 PM

The Los Angeles Kings have officially unveiled their new alternate third uniform, ten days after an image of it leaked via the NHL International Shop. Borrowing most of its elements from the popular 50th anniversary uniform the team wore during […]

Read More...

On 11/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, NYYNYR said:

Like, we can't have a pink Hitmen jersey because we'll be thought as _____, so we'll do pink accents on a black jersey. Yay, we're tough!

Bret Hart usually wore black with pink accents in the '90s, so that would still be true to the Hitmen moniker, and probably look better than a hot pink base. Of course these days we can barely get the Hitmen to wear pink at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The collar is too wide (and the wrong material), the laces are a mess (hopefully that's just because they're not done up yet), and the script logo is too high/smaller than the original (and I can't tell if the "Anaheim" is felt or not like the original, but probably not), but at least these ones go the MD shoulder patch unlike the Selanne night reproductions.

A beautiful alternate in its day:

DsKNUCrU0AAnLKB.jpg

DsKNUCxV4AEISMs.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The originals of that jersey used a chenille-type treatment on the crest, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

21 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The collar is too wide (and the wrong material), the laces are a mess (hopefully that's just because they're not done up yet), and the script logo is too high/smaller than the original (and I can't tell if the "Anaheim" is felt or not like the original, but probably not), but at least these ones go the MD shoulder patch unlike the Selanne night reproductions.

A beautiful alternate in its day:

DsKNUCrU0AAnLKB.jpg

DsKNUCxV4AEISMs.jpg

The collar is too wide on an Adidas jersey.  Can't be.

Am I wrong in thinking that the modern crown logo might actually look great as a primary logo on a purple and yellow jersey? I never thought of it before until I saw this hanger effect.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:26 PM, Bayne said:

Am I wrong in thinking that the modern crown logo might actually look great as a primary logo on a purple and yellow jersey? I never thought of it before until I saw this hanger effect.

I think it would look great as the primary logo on a black and silver set too.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

12 hours ago, GMW79 said:

I think it would look great as the primary logo on a black and silver set too.

Well I've always agreed with that. I've never been a huge fan of the baseball plate and I don't think that many people are.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived