kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kimball said:

Such a missed opportunity to have the Jazz in green and Blazers in red.

Agreed, but the league was probably smart to avoid the red/green colorblind issue, and have the Blazers wear white instead.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

35 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Agreed, but the league was probably smart to avoid the red/green colorblind issue, and have the Blazers wear white instead.

True, but they could’ve had the Jazz wear yellow underneath and the Blazers in red with white/black underneath. I might be wrong, but I think that could provide some decent contrast.

Zach Lowe on the Heat is a must-read. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25516123/inside-new-miami-heat-vice-jerseys

Some teams adopted Nike's ideas almost wholesale. The Heat looked over Nike's proposals, which included one jersey featuring a palm tree print, and politely sent them back. They had a plan, and they weren't deviating.

More proof that Nike will only go as far as teams let them.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, Bucfan56 said:

The thing that bugs me about the current Lakers set is that they just don’t look like the Lakers to me. The two purple jerseys diverge WAY too far from the traditional Lakers set for my liking, which is annoying. But even the home gold set still just looks off to me. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is, but it’s distracting.  

The Lakers' new gold is far more yellow than Adidas' (correct) uniform ever was, an no amount of "different photograph/lighting" comments will change my mind. I've watched a million Lakers games in the past few seasons; I know what I'm seeing.

The black on the side of the purple is growing on me, but a just-purple set probably would have been a good idea. And, if that existed, they might have even word it once in a while; most Lakers games are them in gold/yellow anyway.

But all of this points to Nike's current stewardship of the NBA being bizarre. I think the "City" and "Earned" ideas are keepers; the lack of home and away continues to be an aesthetic disaster. For example, gross:

la-1544759180-k4h8i3rwjy-snap-image

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Some teams adopted Nike's ideas almost wholesale. The Heat looked over Nike's proposals, which included one jersey featuring a palm tree print, and politely sent them back. They had a plan, and they weren't deviating.

I thought this passage from that article was interesting:

Teams try to avoid wearing jerseys that are the same shade as huge portions of the court; players become harder to spot as they traverse the paint. (David Stern, the league's former commissioner, threw a fit when he flipped to a Rockets game in the mid-1990s and struggled to spot players wearing blue jerseys flitting through the blue portions of Houston's infamous floor from that regrettable design era.)

Seems like this philosophy is mostly out the window with teams wearing color uniforms at home as often as their white uniforms now, no?

36 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Teams try to avoid wearing jerseys that are the same shade as huge portions of the court; players become harder to spot as they traverse the paint. (David Stern, the league's former commissioner, threw a fit when he flipped to a Rockets game in the mid-1990s and struggled to spot players wearing blue jerseys flitting through the blue portions of Houston's infamous floor from that regrettable design era.)

Seems like this philosophy is mostly out the window with teams wearing color uniforms at home as often as their white uniforms now, no?

I'm just wondering when the Rockets wore blue jerseys at home in the 90s.

The Lakers wore gold at the Forum with gold keys and aprons in ultra-low definition and it became legendary.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I kind of like the idea of a palm print jersey though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

This is my biggest issue with the Sixers wearing blue at home, especially since they got rid of the red keys.

YVRMUBj.png

5 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Also more proof that having a strong creative department (as the Jazz creative team’s role in creating their city uniform will attest) can really stir up some magic for a team.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm just wondering when the Rockets wore blue jerseys at home in the 90s.

The Lakers wore gold at the Forum with gold keys and aprons in ultra-low definition and it became legendary.

I think he was probably referring to the visiting team disappearing in the giant patches of blue court. Other teams sometimes wear blue when they come to Houston. 🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

34 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think he was probably referring to the visiting team disappearing in the giant patches of blue court. Other teams sometimes wear blue when they come to Houston. 🙂

He was pissed that the home team's court was the same colors as the away teams' uniforms?

Granted the navy 3-point area was changed...but it's still weird that he was worried about the away team in that scenario.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

He was pissed that the home team's court was the same colors as the away teams' uniforms?

Granted the navy 3-point area was changed...but it's still weird that he was worried about the away team in that scenario.

I think the problem was not so much branding as it was that any players at all were difficult to spot, which was particularly a problem on that weirdo court.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

FYI, that three point issue was brought up in the Swamp Dragons piece ESPN wrote a couple years ago.

r72044_1035x582_16-9.jpg&w=570

O'GRADY Some of the court designs, where the whole area inside the 3-point line is painted purple, or green, or whatever -- that would have been a problem. Remember when the Rockets painted that area blue? It looked cool, but we found that players wearing blue uniforms just disappeared on TV. They vanished. David was so pissed. On this one, he would have told me, 'Yeah, this works great -- except when you have purple or green teams.'

STERN: That was a concern. We had a product to put on the air. We can't have anything that impairs your ability to follow the players.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

With that said ... I've actually kind of grown to like the plain key areas. Sure, most are pretty tame. But, it makes the court less cluttered and more emphasis on the players on the court. There are still some designs out there with the colorless key.

31358750697_a0eb1af2b3_z.jpg45204658594_5e1fab0222_z.jpg43696556890_bdda002969_z.jpg40822835864_ff140a9be0_z.jpg31617103968_1dc16af881_z.jpg

Courtesy of @kodrinsky

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived