kimball

28 minutes ago, Digby said:

Huh, so the court design team and the jersey design team should probably communicate a little more.

Colorful and dynamic event identity + plain black-and-white uniforms = the modern All-Star experience. The NHL and NBA have more in common than I thought!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find a lot of NBA games hard to watch because the Uniforms are ugly or I feel like Im not even watching those teams.

I watched the Bulls/Raptors one day and they were wearing the opposite colour schemes. I found it confusing.

The yellow Bucks jersey with the red... vs. the blue and red Pistons at the moment feels like a primary colour nightmare.

33 minutes ago, iBrockely said:

The yellow Bucks jersey with the red... vs. the blue and red Pistons at the moment feels like a primary colour nightmare.

This is only the second time the Pistons have worn royal blue in like 2.5 months, so I’m looking at it as positive in spite of the contrast.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Huh, so the court design team and the jersey design team should probably communicate a little more.

The court is probably designed by the league (or an agency hired by the league). Typically, there’s no communication at all between the those who design the event identity and those who design the uniforms (unless the uniform licensee is designing the event identity, which has happened). Those two projects are also on different enough timelines that it would be difficult for one to affect the other and create a unified look across both.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

28 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The court is probably designed by the league (or an agency hired by the league). Typically, there’s no communication at all between the those who design the event identity and those who design the uniforms (unless the uniform licensee is designing the event identity, which has happened). Those two projects are also on different enough timelines that it would be difficult for one to affect the other and create a unified look across both.

See, this is the kind of insidery stuff I was hoping my snark would unearth! Thanks!

i am surprised, though, that the uniform is designed wholly separately from the event identity. I figured it was a joint thing between the league and the licensee, especially given the way the league pushes the whole weekend as a whole big branded thing nowadays. We often hear on these boards that Nike doesn’t do anything a team doesn’t want them to do; in this case I’m surprised there isn’t a league czar bridging the stakeholders.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

25 minutes ago, Digby said:

See, this is the kind of insidery stuff I was hoping my snark would unearth! Thanks!

i am surprised, though, that the uniform is designed wholly separately from the event identity. I figured it was a joint thing between the league and the licensee, especially given the way the league pushes the whole weekend as a whole big branded thing nowadays. We often hear on these boards that Nike doesn’t do anything a team doesn’t want them to do; in this case I’m surprised there isn’t a league czar bridging the stakeholders.

I mean, the league would have input on everything, and there would likely be some, if not all the same people signing off on both the uniform and the event identity (just at different times), but it’s up to the league to get the two connected if they’re having different entities designing the two parts, and the early returns show that it’s not a huge priority to have them connected. I mean, even the difference in approach from the game jerseys to the rookie/sophomore uniforms is quite stark. It’s not the way I would do it, but it’s the way they do it, and they seem to like doing it that way. 🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

Enjoyed the Boston/OKC look today ... nice example of a strikingly modern, all color matchup that was well-executed.

190203irving_0.jpg

I’ll never be on board with the Celtics in black but the contrasting accessories looked good for the Thunder. I wish more teams would do that rather than submit to the Color Rush look.

57 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Who's the home team? I hate the NBA now. I can't tell anything a apart. 

I mean, from the TV angle, the green court gave it away.

47 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

I’ll never be on board with the Celtics in black but the contrasting accessories looked good for the Thunder. I wish more teams would do that rather than submit to the Color Rush look.

Right, I should have included that caveat about black Celtics jerseys. But conceding that to the Nike era.... I liked that there were a lot of colors but it was also very clear to tell the teams apart. And for all the rightful angst about OKC’s brand, I really love that unusual shade of blue they use on those jerseys, and it looks great with that heathy dose of orange in trim.

11 hours ago, MattMill said:

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I hate how people keep saying this kinda thing. Look at the court or look at the scoreboard, it's not hard.

I’m with @Old School Fool on this one. I don’t mind the uniform color choice as much as I care about some of the City and Statement jersey designs and matchups. I do wish there was more of an emphasis on color vs. color matchups with white jerseys used as a “clash” jersey. I also wish the Lakers wore their gold jerseys a lot less on the road, but for the most part I haven’t cared two much what the home team wore, especially now that I’m used to it.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:
14 hours ago, MattMill said:

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I hate how people keep saying this kinda thing. Look at the court or look at the scoreboard, it's not hard.

I’m with @Old School Fool on this one. I don’t mind the uniform color choice as much as I care about some of the City and Statement jersey designs and matchups. I do wish there was more of an emphasis on color vs. color matchups with white jerseys used as a “clash” jersey. I also wish the Lakers wore their gold jerseys a lot less on the road, but for the most part I haven’t cared two much what the home team wore, especially now that I’m used to it.

Well, I'll sign up for Team @MattMill, then.  White = home; that should be true in all sports (including American football and soccer), with an allowable subtitution of yellow on the part of the Lakers.

And I cannot understand the desire for colour-versus-colour matchups.  That will always look cheesy.  It's unprofessional, like what you'd see in a matchup between cash-strapped high school JVs.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The word "unprofessional" is tossed around too lightly on these boards. Some would argue it is progressive, rather than caught up in how things have always been done.

That said, I believe white should be the *primary* home in the NBA, MLB and NHL, while dark/colored jerseys should be standard at home in the NFL (other than Dallas). The college level of each respective sport should match their professional counterpart, but there are some notable exceptions like LSU and Georgia Tech in football. And, lastly, alternates can be worn in any situation, but they must be worn less than the designated home and away sets.

I think a lot of you are forgetting, though, the NBA no longer has a home and an away designation for its uniforms. The entire purpose was to do away with the mindset that white equals home and dark equals away. If you're that confused about who is the home team, check the scoreboard, the court or even in the picture above where no such branding is available, it's clear Boston is the home team (and that it was broadcast on ESPN) based on the people in the crowd.

Yeah I probably picked the wrong photo/teams to complain about. There are other absurd combos. My bad. I didn't make a compelling argument. 

I used to be big into the NBA 15-20 years ago. Now I'm more of a casual fan. About half the time it takes me a good 10-15 seconds to grasp who the home team is.  Sometimes it's a jersey color that doesn't match the court or just two similarly colored teams. Reds and blues are bad for me visually. 

White/light = home has always been ingrained in me for basketball. It'll take years for that mindset to change. For the NFL, we know the cowboys go white at home. Other teams have done the same more frequently. I think more teams wore white than ever before in the NFL. It's definitely trending that way. 

I get it though. You want the colorful new sets to be shown to your home fans. 

Looking at locker vision is fun though. In January, the hornets wore white twice as home, black at home, and then purple at home. And in one of those white games, they played the sun's who wore purple.  In December, of 9 home games, 3 were white, with 4 being a darker color jersey. One of their three white games, the other team wore a darker jersey. One could reasonably assume they didn't know who the home team was for the white/black matchup (atleast for a couple seconds).

A loss of identity is a real thing in all levels of sports. I guess that's where I'm sort of getting at. 

34 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

The word "unprofessional" is tossed around too lightly on these boards.

Maybe sometimes.  But not in this case. 

A game without one team in white invokes the look of teams that cannot afford multiple sets of uniforms.  That's why it is unprofessional-looking, and highly cheesy.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

It's interesting that the white home/color road (or vice-versa) is so deeply ingrained in North American sports, but isn't really a thing in the most popular sports globally. There are advantages to each philosophy, but I don't think the majority of big soccer games ever played have necessarily looked unprofessional.

Archived