kimball

35 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

You’ve got some fans that love the navy-gold-green, and others like myself that love the purple. 

In my mind there's not much difference in the current navy blue and purple of the past. Yes, sure line them up side by side and you'll see navy blue and purple, but I don't look at the current colors and think, "those aren't Jazz colors."

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this seems random..but are there any other Chicago Bulls fans here? If so..does ANYBODY have a clue about why NIKE hasn't put these for sale yet?

DUgG1wwWsAAqdKZ.jpg

It's been MONTHS but all I see are those ugly Cavaliers "The Land" and others. But not these. WTH??

Board related question: Can I assume these are coming back next year? Maybe a road version? Maybe even an alternate court?

Edit: Found out ONLY the Team Shop at United Center sells them..but for $155 +$15 shipping. Sadly I may have to buy a "Chinese version".. all other official websites (Lids,NBA store,etc) sell other team City uniforms for $110. This is outrageous and depressing supply vs demand markup!! ?? 

Sorry for rant.

shado_logo.gif

32 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

I know this seems random..but are there any other Chicago Bulls fans here? If so..does ANYBODY have a clue about why NIKE hasn't put these for sale yet?

DUgG1wwWsAAqdKZ.jpg

It's been MONTHS but all I see are those ugly Cavaliers "The Land" and others. But not these. WTH??

Board related question: Can I assume these are coming back next year? Maybe a road version? Maybe even an alternate court?

Edit: Found out ONLY the Team Shop at United Center sells them..but for $155 +$15 shipping. Sadly I may have to buy a "Chinese version".. all other official websites (Lids,NBA store,etc) sell other team City uniforms for $110. This is outrageous and depressing supply vs demand markup!! ?? 

Sorry for rant.

I would assume you'll probably see a baby blue version of this jersey since the City jerseys SHOULD be a one year thing (then again the Jazz broke that rule).

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, andregunts said:

last night was the first time I saw the Magic city jerseys in action....Jesus Lord they are beautiful

I hope they bring them back next season. Simply wonderful.

Jaguars

• 2 weeks later...

With the start of the playoffs, I wanted to share something that I have been noticing that I have noticed in the past and was subsequently proven to be right.
Chalk it up as a hint to next year's City jersey or a hint to a primary Icon/Association rebrand, but either way - the current playoff branding that the Oklahoma City Thunder is implementing is definitely implying something. Take this as someone who has a been a fan for the team's entire Oklahoman existence, but Sam Presti & the Thunder are very deliberate with their branding. For example, before the release of their first alternate - the all navy w/ vertical Thunder wordmark, the Thunder began using an all navy&white logo as their social media profile picture a few months beforehand. They did the same thing with the Sunset alternates - before I moved from OKC to Austin in late summer 2015, the Thunder started placing billboards all over town with orange backgrounds and either the letters 'OKC' together or separate ones with 'O', 'K', & 'C'. They released the jerseys in the subsequent fall.

Now, the Thunder are using branding with an all black background and the same gray Thunder logo from their City uniform (OKC's 1st City uniform was all gray) with vivid lines of Thunder Blue, "Sunset" (Red/Orange), and Yellow. The second blue that the Thunder heavily uses - navy - is noticeably absent. This branding is everywhere - across their social media and around town on billboards and even on Game 1's home playoff shirt.

Thus, next year I believe that we will be seeing an all black City uniform that features the bright Thunder Blue, "Sunset", and Yellow as accents on the jersey. Wouldn't shock me if the logo on the shorts is the all gray/metallic that was featured on this year's City jersey and has been the logo in this black/blue/orange/yellow branding this spring.

However, I also could see a full rebrand. Remember, the Thunder did not think KD was leaving, so a rebrand to get away from the KD Era look was not in the works leading up to the last season with Adidas. Then, before this year's switch to Nike, Thunder VP Brian Byrnes said that the team didn't want to shake up their look for this year's 10th Anniversary in OKC.

Therefore, if the Thunder were to make a switch from their KD Era look, next season would be the first season that the Thunder would entertain doing so, from a branding perspective. If that were to be the case, then expect the Thunder's Icon/Association rebrand to feature a black/Thunder Blue/Sunset/yellow base, with white and gray as tertiary colors. A black Icon jersey with the metallic thunder logo on the shorts with blue, red/orange, and yellow accents with a white opposite for the Association would my guess.

**I am not some reddit user and have been a longtime lurke & then causal poster. But one thing I am is a very passionate Thunder fan who happens to love sports branding. So the Thunder's brand is something I pay close attention to. I was right in advance about OKC's orange alternate & navy alternate solely based off their social media branding, so call this a guesstimate.** 

Daq904zVMAAG57V.jpg:large

On 4/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, elliott said:

The red rocks Jazz uniforms have grown on me, they are just fun. Remind me a lot of the tequila sunrise Astros or the rainbow skyline Nuggets

But talk about a team without a color identity. I wonder how Jazz fans feel about what exactly their identity is? They had phases where they were green, then purple, then the 90s teal gold and purple craziness, THEN another trend-driven two tone blue during the 00's, THEN back to retro look while still totally changing the colors with the navy-green-yellow combination, THEN another total curveball with the red-orange-yellow uniform.

(That must be one of the only examples in sports where a team wears basically every color on the ROYGBIV spectrum in their history, right? I guess you cant say whether the current City ones are red or orange, but they cover every single other color. Crazy.)

I see what you’re saying, and I can only speak as a Cavs fan, but for all the different colors they’ve played with (wine, athletic gold, metallic gold, royal blue, orange, black, sky blue, navy blue...) I just think of them as wine and gold.

I’d love to hear from Jazz fans what they think of as “their colors.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, okcsooner35 said:

With the start of the playoffs, I wanted to share something that I have been noticing that I have noticed in the past and was subsequently proven to be right.
Chalk it up as a hint to next year's City jersey or a hint to a primary Icon/Association rebrand, but either way - the current playoff branding that the Oklahoma City Thunder is implementing is definitely implying something. Take this as someone who has a been a fan for the team's entire Oklahoman existence, but Sam Presti & the Thunder are very deliberate with their branding. For example, before the release of their first alternate - the all navy w/ vertical Thunder wordmark, the Thunder began using an all navy&white logo as their social media profile picture a few months beforehand. They did the same thing with the Sunset alternates - before I moved from OKC to Austin in late summer 2015, the Thunder started placing billboards all over town with orange backgrounds and either the letters 'OKC' together or separate ones with 'O', 'K', & 'C'. They released the jerseys in the subsequent fall.

Now, the Thunder are using branding with an all black background and the same gray Thunder logo from their City uniform (OKC's 1st City uniform was all gray) with vivid lines of Thunder Blue, "Sunset" (Red/Orange), and Yellow. The second blue that the Thunder heavily uses - navy - is noticeably absent. This branding is everywhere - across their social media and around town on billboards and even on Game 1's home playoff shirt.

Thus, next year I believe that we will be seeing an all black City uniform that features the bright Thunder Blue, "Sunset", and Yellow as accents on the jersey. Wouldn't shock me if the logo on the shorts is the all gray/metallic that was featured on this year's City jersey and has been the logo in this black/blue/orange/yellow branding this spring.

However, I also could see a full rebrand. Remember, the Thunder did not think KD was leaving, so a rebrand to get away from the KD Era look was not in the works leading up to the last season with Adidas. Then, before this year's switch to Nike, Thunder VP Brian Byrnes said that the team didn't want to shake up their look for this year's 10th Anniversary in OKC.

Therefore, if the Thunder were to make a switch from their KD Era look, next season would be the first season that the Thunder would entertain doing so, from a branding perspective. If that were to be the case, then expect the Thunder's Icon/Association rebrand to feature a black/Thunder Blue/Sunset/yellow base, with white and gray as tertiary colors. A black Icon jersey with the metallic thunder logo on the shorts with blue, red/orange, and yellow accents with a white opposite for the Association would my guess.

**I am not some reddit user and have been a longtime lurke & then causal poster. But one thing I am is a very passionate Thunder fan who happens to love sports branding. So the Thunder's brand is something I pay close attention to. I was right in advance about OKC's orange alternate & navy alternate solely based off their social media branding, so call this a guesstimate.** 

Daq904zVMAAG57V.jpg:large

I appreciate the passion, but sadly have to burst some bubbles:

1. They're not re-branding next season.

2. The City Edition uniform next season is not mainly black.

Sorry to disappoint...I want them to rebrand as much as the next self-respecting fan of sports aesthetics, but it seems we'll at least have to wait another season. -_-

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Would you happen to know how many playoff teams and non-playoff teams are re-branding next season (in case I missed some news)?  ^_^ 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

2. The City Edition uniform next season is not mainly black.

Sorry to disappoint...I want them to rebrand as much as the next self-respecting fan of sports aesthetics, but it seems we'll at least have to wait another season. -_-

Could you divulge more about the Thunder City? Can be a PM if you’d like — I’m just a fan so just curious is all, not looking to breaking into industry with ‘intel’.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, andregunts said:

last night was the first time I saw the Magic city jerseys in action....Jesus Lord they are beautiful

On 4/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, Teal said:

I hope they bring them back next season. Simply wonderful.

pZKdMbC.gif

I don't know a single Magic fan that likes them. I'll be glad they're gone.

ExJworW.png

On 4/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, andrewharrington said:

I see what you’re saying, and I can only speak as a Cavs fan, but for all the different colors they’ve played with (wine, athletic gold, metallic gold, royal blue, orange, black, sky blue, navy blue...) I just think of them as wine and gold.

I’d love to hear from Jazz fans what they think of as “their colors.”

As a lifelong Utah Jazz fan since Day 1, I thought i'd add my own two-cents on what I feel is the teams "colors".

I've been a sports fan and logo, uniform, branding junkie for as long as I can remember.

As a sports fan and a sports designer I really enjoy NBA teams who have stayed true to their identity (ie: Boston, LA Lakers, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, etc). Teams that have stayed true to their colors, identity, and maybe a few updated looks. I respect that.  That is the kind of level i'd love for the Jazz to be on. 

With that said, I feel the Jazz may have finally found "their colors" with the Navy Blue, Gold, and Green. I know that it may have taken the team some time to experiment, but me personally this is their best color scheme and I feel it pays more of a nod to Utah. I hope the team can finally stick with this scheme and make it last forever. Everyone I know loves their colors and especially loves the "J-Note" logo. It's who the Jazz are. 

I PRAY they don't rebrand or anything. Stick to this identity. It works. 

I feel their primary logo, court, colors, are the best the team has ever had. The uniforms are still growing on me. (The 66-Degree angle cut on the uniforms is a nice touch. I like it, but I don't LOVE it.)

I will say though I love the City Uniforms.  I do love how the team has branded their City Uniforms to reflect the state and pay tribute to the Southern part of Utah. Everything about them is just great. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the next City uniforms. 

I know I may be one of the few who loves this look the Jazz have right now. It's just my own opinion. 

I hope my other die-hard Jazz fans out there agree with me. 

Either way, I'm a Jazz fan for life! 

27 minutes ago, mattharveysc said:

As a lifelong Utah Jazz fan since Day 1, I thought i'd add my own two-cents on what I feel is the teams "colors".

I've been a sports fan and logo, uniform, branding junkie for as long as I can remember.

As a sports fan and a sports designer I really enjoy NBA teams who have stayed true to their identity (ie: Boston, LA Lakers, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, etc). Teams that have stayed true to their colors, identity, and maybe a few updated looks. I respect that.  That is the kind of level i'd love for the Jazz to be on. 

With that said, I feel the Jazz may have finally found "their colors" with the Navy Blue, Gold, and Green. I know that it may have taken the team some time to experiment, but me personally this is their best color scheme and I feel it pays more of a nod to Utah. I hope the team can finally stick with this scheme and make it last forever. Everyone I know loves their colors and especially loves the "J-Note" logo. It's who the Jazz are. 

I PRAY they don't rebrand or anything. Stick to this identity. It works. 

I feel their primary logo, court, colors, are the best the team has ever had. The uniforms are still growing on me. (The 66-Degree angle cut on the uniforms is a nice touch. I like it, but I don't LOVE it.)

I will say though I love the City Uniforms.  I do love how the team has branded their City Uniforms to reflect the state and pay tribute to the Southern part of Utah. Everything about them is just great. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the next City uniforms. 

I know I may be one of the few who loves this look the Jazz have right now. It's just my own opinion. 

I hope my other die-hard Jazz fans out there agree with me. 

Either way, I'm a Jazz fan for life! 

I echo you on everything. This is the best Jazz look. I think what you're seeing with City Jerseys is what they tried to capture with their rebrand in 1996 -- it's Utah. I'm excited to what other designs they have in store for the jerseys in the future, but it really works for the Jazz because the nickname isn't synonymous with Utah. 

kimball banner.png

17 minutes ago, Teal said:

The 18/19 Warriors "City" set is "Indigo Storm".

Sounds like a horrible Indigo Girls cover band. 

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, Teal said:

The 18/19 Warriors "City" set is "Indigo Storm".

Is this for real??! Lol!

Aside from Memphis and Denver, do we have any clues for any other full or minor rebrands for 2018-19 season??

(I know every team is(might) be getting a new City or Statement uniform. I mean new full blown Icon, Association and Statement)

shado_logo.gif

Archived