kimball

4 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Didn't know Drake was the exclusive owner of black and gold everything.. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Drake is the Trinidad James of the NBA

Btw. Hawks been pushing for a "blacktop" court for years. Guess this is the best they can get. Otherwise the classic court SHOULD HAVE BEEN all red.

shado_logo.gif

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the Hawks even know what they are? Red! Blue! Volt! Gray! Black! Gold! White! I guess it's okay to have something for everybody, but at a certain point, it's a good thing for a team to have a visual identity. Especially when the community so loves the Pac-Man logo and it's just sitting right there. Their volt redesign went over like a wet fart, but instead of making changes to that, they're just adding more clutter. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In this era of several alternates, one of which has to change yearly (not that Adidas was any better).... and alternate court designs.... and whatever wacky things are happening in minor league baseball.... teams don't seem to think that having a visual identity is important. Confusion is in! New everything all the time!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I hope the Boston Celtics removes the irreverent uniform called statement. I dont care for the city either. I would much, much rather have the "Celtics Big Three Era Alternate Uniform" and/or especially the "Celtics St. Patrick’s Day Uniform"!!!!!!
tBc4jBm.png

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:29 PM, Shadojoker said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Drake is the Trinidad James of the NBA

Btw. Hawks been pushing for a "blacktop" court for years. Guess this is the best they can get. Otherwise the classic court SHOULD HAVE BEEN all red.

I can agree with this statement as Drake is pushing the “all gold everything” onto Toronto. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s their new colours one year!

On 8/14/2018 at 11:59 AM, whitedawg22 said:

To expand on this with some examples, last season 15 players wore #6 and 22 players wore #9. In 1997-98 (20 years ago), only 8 players wore #6 and 16 players wore #9. And in 1992-93 (25 years ago), only 6 players wore #6 and 3 players wore #9.

In addition to Bradley and Muresan, I think the wider use of non-traditional numbers was due to the influx of international players (and the use of NBA players in international competitions). Amateur basketball in the U.S. only allowed the use of digits 0-5, so most American players would start their careers with those numbers, and mostly keep them when they reached the NBA. But until 2014, FIBA required players to use numbers from 4 to 15 for international competitions, and national leagues could allow any 1- or 2- digit number. So NBA players had to use non-traditional numbers for the Olympics (which is why Jordan wore #9) and a lot of international players came in wearing different numbers (e.g., Toni Kukoc wearing #7).

Thanks for the research.  Guess that makes this all the more special:

141217155744-julius-erving-red-sixers-je

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Thanks for the research.  Guess that makes this all the more special:

141217155744-julius-erving-red-sixers-je

Yes - and even Dr. J started his NBA career with a "traditional" number 32:

j0215.jpg

When the Nets sold him to Philadelphia, he had to switch numbers because #32 was going to be retired by the Sixers for Billy Cunningham. Rumor is that he switched to #6 because the Sixers paid $6 million for him ($3 million to the Nets, $3 million to Dr. J), but Dr. J (more diplomatically) said that he chose #6 to be like Bill Russell.

But why did Russell wear #6?  He presumably wore it in the NBA because he wore it in college:

1956-cchamps-russell-lifted-up-by-usf-fa

And he was allowed to wear it in college because the NCAA's rule that players may only use digits 0-5 was not yet in effect.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

Yes - and even Dr. J started his NBA career with a "traditional" number 32:

j0215.jpg

When the Nets sold him to Philadelphia, he had to switch numbers because #32 was going to be retired by the Sixers for Billy Cunningham. Rumor is that he switched to #6 because the Sixers paid $6 million for him ($3 million to the Nets, $3 million to Dr. J), but Dr. J (more diplomatically) said that he chose #6 to be like Bill Russell.

But why did Russell wear #6?  He presumably wore it in the NBA because he wore it in college:

1956-cchamps-russell-lifted-up-by-usf-fa

And he was allowed to wear it in college because the NCAA's rule that players may only use digits 0-5 was not yet in effect.

Wow. Thanks for the mini-history lesson. These kind of stories would make a fun thread if there isn't one already.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 8/18/2018 at 7:41 AM, chakfu said:

Powder blue is cool for throwbacks but otherwise should be left in St Louis.  Very similar to Minneapolis Lakers vestiges.  Leave the championships there two. Funny how both were 50s /60s powerhouses/Celtic victims.

? Only a Celtic fan would think that way. 

18 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

Here it is! I knew it existed!

tim-hardaway-speaks-with-isiah-thomas-of

I believe it was because he (along with Timmy) was injured, but they still gave jerseys to the injured players, but with numbers outside of the FIBA circulation for active players.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

At least logo match uniform colors. I'm very surprising that H-E-B isn't on Spurs jerseys, it were a natural choice when it comes to Spurs.

I’m bummed about that one, always assumed it would be HEB. It’s like the Magic not using Disney. 

spacer.png

15 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

I’m bummed about that one, always assumed it would be HEB. It’s like the Magic not using Disney. 

I admit that I was expecting H-E-B as well, but this isn't a random brand slap either. The article states that the Spurs and Frost Bank have had a professional relationship for 45 years.

Archived