kimball

It makes me mad you guys keep saying "Icon," "Association," etc. Why not Blue/Red/White or Green/White/Dumb or whatever? I'm not rewiring my brain to consider Yellow to be "Icon" for no good reason.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, eRay said:

Some of the more interesting short sleeve warmup options that may hint at some team's city jersey designs that we haven't seen yet.

BOS_JP1_SS_5.jpgHOU_JP2_SS_4.jpgWAS_JP1_SS_3.jpg

Looks like the Celtics wised up and decided to have the Parquet uniform be white instead of gray. Excellent choice. What I don't think is an excellent choice is making the District jersey for the Wizards black

bSLCtu2.png

10 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Dumb question here, but please bear with me: How are you guys seeing these shooting shirts, accessories, etc on the LockerVision site? Everything I see on there that hasn’t been released yet is “coming soon.”

Open the images, any of them, and change the numbers and teams around in the url. I could get into how they're all set up but it would take a while to explain on here. Some stuff is still not loaded onto the site, so we can't see everything.

12 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s all of this year’s special Classic Edition warmup shirts:

ATL_JP1_LS_3.jpg

CHA_JP1_LS_3.jpg

ORL_JP1_LS_3.jpg

GSW_JP1_LS_3.jpg

IND_JP2_LS_3.jpg

MIN_JP2_LS_3.jpg

UTA_JP1_LS_3.jpg

Absolutely LOVE those Jazz shooting shirts. Definitely the best of the bunch.

Love how they can add character while still sticking to the same template. Hope they explore creative shooting shirt options even further. 

28 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

Love how they can add character while still sticking to the same template. Hope they explore creative shooting shirt options even further. 

Yeah I’m hoping so too. I liked that last year’s City warmup shirts had some more creative and unique elements to them as well, so I’m hoping Nike continues to explore and maybe even expand on that in the future. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

They also have all the Noches Ene-Be-A designs up on their site. I think they're the new designs because the Nuggets shirt is in their new team colors and Grizzlies shirt has the new logo and typeface, but maybe some of these are older.

EgH0HZm.jpg

37 minutes ago, kimball said:

Seeing these warmups really make me miss the individual team designs of yesteryear ...

hwl?set=sku%5B20932811%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1hwl?set=sku%5B20932813%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B113896447%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

I own a lot of the Mitchell & Ness warmups includng that Nets and Magic one, but that Bullets shirt is absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, eRay said:

They also have all the Noches Ene-Be-A designs up on their site. I think they're the new designs because the Nuggets shirt is in their new team colors and Grizzlies shirt has the new logo and typeface, but maybe some of these are older.

EgH0HZm.jpg

Why does the NBA insist on such a lazy approach? Every single one of these team names either (1) have a proper Spanish translation, like Toros for Bulls, or (2) would be the same word in Spanish because it's a proper noun.

Is this a licensing issue? They don't want to/can't register "Sacramento Reyes," so why bother? I may be off base, but I feel like this approach could be considered offensive.

I *guess* you could see the argument that sports team names aren't translatable, in the way you wouldn't expect Real Madrid to go by "Madrid Royals Soccer Team" while they're doing a round of summer friendlies in the states. I suspect the real answer is more that they want team brands to stay front and center.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

37 minutes ago, Bradbury said:

Why does the NBA insist on such a lazy approach? Every single one of these team names either (1) have a proper Spanish translation, like Toros for Bulls, or (2) would be the same word in Spanish because it's a proper noun.

Is this a licensing issue? They don't want to/can't register "Sacramento Reyes," so why bother? I may be off base, but I feel like this approach could be considered offensive.

I would venture to guess that this is

A. Better for the individual brands 

B. Easier to utilize across the board

Plus i figure most teams are referred to as "los" (team name).  Nobody calls the Dallas Cowboys the Vaqueros, but you'll come across t-shirts that say "Puro Pinche Cowboys". 

And like Digby mentioned we don't translate spanish names, so it's not that weird and def not lazy. You never hear about Chivas being referred to as the Goats or Cruz Azul as Blue Cross. 

We do sometimes translate Spanish names of teams.  In baseball, English speakers refer to the Diablos Rojos del México as the Mexico City Red Devils, to the former Tigres del México as the Mexico City Tigers, to Puerto Rico's Cangrejeros de Santurce as the Santurce Crabbers, and to the Águilas Cibaeñas of the Dominican Republic as the Cibao Eagles.  And in football you do indeed hear Chivas referred to as the Goats.

So it would make perfect sense to have el Calor de Miami, los Toros de Chicago, los Soles de Phoenix, el Trueno de la Ciudad Oklahoma, los Redes de Brooklyn, las Espuelas de San Antonio, etc.  (Of course some names aren't transatable: Knickerbocker is already a proper noun, though good for them for using the correct Spanish name of the city.)

The baseball Giants and the Brewers are the only teams that do Spanish-language jerseys the right way.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

28 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

And like Digby mentioned we don't translate spanish names, so it's not that weird and def not lazy. You never hear about Chivas being referred to as the Goats or Cruz Azul as Blue Cross. 

In the QMJHL, the French names aren't translated to English for the rest of the CHL. 

For example, they're always the Gatineau Olympiques, Val-d'Or Foreurs and Victoriaville Tigres, not the Olympics, Drillers and Tigers respectively.

IbjBaeE.png

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

los Soles de Phoenix,

Actually that wouldn't work, either. There's no such thing as "Suns" in Spanish.

Probably Las Estrellas or something.

But anyway, when you listen to Spanish radio, the announcers have always used official team names such as "El Heat", not "El Calor"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

los Soles de Phoenix,

Actually that wouldn't work, either. There's no such thing as "Suns" in Spanish.

Huh?  The word "sol" a noun; nouns have plural forms.  There is even a team with that name: los Soles de Sonora (called the Sonora Suns by English-speaking fans, as can be seen in this article), who play in the MASL.

Foto de Soles De Sonora.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Huh?  The word "sol" a noun; nouns have plural forms.  There is even a team with that name: los Soles de Sonora (called the Sonora Suns by English-speaking fans, as can be seen in this article), who play in the MASL.

Foto de Soles De Sonora.

Ok you’re right but in astronomy there is only one Sun. Most everything that has to do with the Sun in Spanish is El/del Sol. 

The proper way to do it is in the native language.

When’s the last time you saw Real Madrid be called Royal Madrid? And we don’t call hockey teams the Canadians or the Nordics either. Nobody translates it, so there’s no reason to translate Anerican teams. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, eRay said:

Open the images, any of them, and change the numbers and teams around in the url. I could get into how they're all set up but it would take a while to explain on here. Some stuff is still not loaded onto the site, so we can't see everything.

Took me a second..but I see your formula.

I was able to find Chicago Bulls shooting shirts designs.

Click on the image url and see the difference in the between this and the Houston Rockets.

CHI_JP1_SS_1.jpg

CHI_JP1_SS_3.jpg

CHI_JP1_SS_4.jpg

Now look at the Houston ones. Sorry colors too close together. I'll do Hornets underneath.

CHA_JP2_SS_4.jpg

CHA_JP2_SS_1.jpg

HOU_JP2_SS_3.jpg

HOU_JP2_SS_4.jpg

shado_logo.gif

Archived