kimball

18 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Probably nothing.  Prince is a much bigger deal here (and I say that as a Dylan fan and not a Prince fan).  Plus there's an entire color associated with him and, maybe most importantly, I think Prince, unlike almost any other celebrity, always lived in Minnesota.  People from Minnesota appreciate that quite a bit.

I get it. I'm from Minnesota, too. This fervent Prince love, though, seems more recent than I remember. I don't recall the state identifying so closely with him while I was growing up there in the '80s and '90s, though that may just be a product of growing up outside the Twin Cities. 

I always knew of Bob Dylan and his Minnesota roots, though. But that, too, might be due to proximity. I grew up far closer to Hibbing than I did Minneapolis. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Or a Husker Du jersey in honor of not being a very well-known franchise.

"If I Can't Change Your Mind" is galaxies better than any Husker Du song. Maybe one of the most fun songs to sing the harmony part along to, I dunno. And on the topic of Prince and the Replacements, possibly unpopular opinion: as much as I enjoy Prince, I've never loved any single Prince song as much as I love "Alex Chilton."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I personally am not a fan of basketball and wouldn't really call myself a fan of any team, even the Wolves. BUT I am a huge fan of these jerseys, I am a big Prince fan and I think that these will be a huge success locally. I understand what you all have said about him likely not liking this if he were alive and I agree, but I think it is a nice way to honor him (even though it should have been done closer to his death). I actually am considering buying one of these jerseys, depending on how expensive they are, this is a huge thing for me since like I said I am not a fan of basketball at all.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I get it. I'm from Minnesota, too. This fervent Prince love, though, seems more recent than I remember. I don't recall the state identifying so closely with him while I was growing up there in the '80s and '90s, though that may just be a product of growing up outside the Twin Cities. 

I always knew of Bob Dylan and his Minnesota roots, though. But that, too, might be due to proximity. I grew up far closer to Hibbing than I did Minneapolis. 

Growing up in the Cities I have always been around the Prince love, I was hard pressed to find people that didn't love him. Dylan on the other hand is someone people there often don't even remember is form MN which is really sad because he's arguably one of the greatest musicians (at least lyrically) of all time. Don't get me wrong, Dylan is still big there, but he is nowhere near the popularity of Prince.

6 minutes ago, Section30 said:

Dylan on the other hand is someone people there often don't even remember is form MN which is really sad because he's arguably one of the greatest musicians (at least lyrically) of all time.

bob-dylan-high-school.jpg?quality=80

I absolutely love this picture. To me, it says that American public education, now and then, gets it right.

Also, I know from experience here that we will probably argue about Dylan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This one hits really close in a few ways...

My first thoughts:

Wolves in the front?
That shade of Purple?

Prince Nelson was born in North Minneapolis.  He loved Minneapolis. He got his career going across the street from the Target Center, at First Ave.
He was a product of the city.

Minneapolis has a proud basketball heritage with the lakers. 

• Put Minneapolis in front. And fix the damn Purple to a blueish hue.

• Could have done a tribute to the Black/Silver/White adorned First ave, complete with silver stars.   (But that'd have a bit of a Nets/Bklyn vibe.) Silver stars- its in the Palate.

He played at Paisley Park.  Couldn't have gotten a tone/tone texture in there somewhere?

Seriously Timberwolves. 

Can you please do something right? 

I've been waiting since 1989.

SMH. Not team colors. The only prince and basketball I know of is from Chappelle show. This is on the level of AA MiLB. Come out to the park this weekend for dollar beers and hot dogs for Prince tribute night.

KISSwall09.jpg

Here’s the Knicks City jersey. I like the trim, not so sure about the navy-on-navy outlines on names and numbers. Still don’t understand what the heck is going on near the armpit. Personally I think last years FDNY uniforms were better. November 9 release date for City uniforms?

EDIT: Ok, the side panels look much worse now. What is going on there?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

1 minute ago, anythinglogos said:

And the Nets. I’m stumped on the inspiration unless it’s some metaphorical bull :censored: about how it represents Brooklyn’s melting pot

The first thing that came to mind is a Notorious B.I.G. tribute with a Coogi sweater pattern?

Archived