kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

That Sixers City uniform looks terrible in NBA 2K19. They did not know how to make it look like a heather material. This is the thing about wacky uniform ideas, you should always make sure that it can translate to anything else.

2AJzT1z.png

Looks like Ben Simmons was hanging out with my huskies and needs a lint roller.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:23 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I don't think Nike has looked cheaper than it has since taking over the NBA. Not only were the original jerseys ripping, and the pieces (such as the single-colored arm hole loops and collars) look lazier, but every city edition uniform is looking worse and worse. 

I get the court idea here, but it doesn't work on a uniform. It looks like it was actually stitched as different colored pieces like that. 

I have not seen a single addition from Nike since the season started that looks remotely good. I miss Adidas -- the NBA used to be my favorite league to follow from a uniform standpoint, but now it's an eyesore. 

I don't miss Adidas (unless they were the pre 2010 unis).  Yes, I do like Nike and I do believe they are trying hard to create jerseys for merchandise, but some of the City edition are indeed an eyesore.  But either way the jerseys will not be the same uniform than it used to be.  I miss the Champion, Nike v 1.0, Reebok, Starter jerseys the NBA created.  The 2006-10 Adidas jerseys were also solid.  But now things went downhill when Adidas went to the Rev 30 and sleeved jerseys and although Nike unis have come a long way since the ripped jerseys in the beginning, it will not compare to the thicker style jerseys the NBA had in the early 90s until the late 2000s which by far and away the best and the most durable.

1 hour ago, orangefaniniowa said:

I don't miss Adidas (unless they were the pre 2010 unis).  Yes, I do like Nike and I do believe they are trying hard to create jerseys for merchandise, but some of the City edition are indeed an eyesore.  But either way the jerseys will not be the same uniform than it used to be.  I miss the Champion, Nike v 1.0, Reebok, Starter jerseys the NBA created.  The 2006-10 Adidas jerseys were also solid.  But now things went downhill when Adidas went to the Rev 30 and sleeved jerseys and although Nike unis have come a long way since the ripped jerseys in the beginning, it will not compare to the thicker style jerseys the NBA had in the early 90s until the late 2000s which by far and away the best and the most durable.

I think 1999/2000 was the best year for NBA uniforms. It was past the biggest excesses of the mid-90s, but before the alt-craziness with sleeved Adidas and whatever hell Nike is doing now.

Check out some of these classic looks:

f1td80y1ltzfpc5owsro0ojt9.gif

qrfg0gpnddxqxefu7f63oj6m2.gif

xh3y2ifufy3bdgxehjtfmhn0z.gif

p3eof5ttv0zg7upjups3awdla.gif

jc9kv3g20u48ibz2za78gt6bg.gif

ntmymrjxy4lgnghyyjfocig5r.gif

fe53k721mrugqx0zhofzfzbut.gif

Not everything was a winner then, of course, but in general, the league had a sense of professionalism night to night. Which is weird, because NBA play was so bad back then.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Man, Nike 1.0 was great back in the late 90s/early 2000s. That's why I was pretty excited when they landed the league outfitting deal, though it's definitely been a massive disappointment so far. I guess since they only covered 8 teams back then, they could dedicate more resources per team? That, or unfortunately, the industry as a whole just continues to get cheaper and less creative (yay templates!)

There was even some degree of individuality to warm-ups in Nike 1.0; I remember the Pistons and Celtics having warm-ups inspired from their classic eras.

y2vZMJr.jpg

02iuxt4.jpg

35 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

Man, Nike 1.0 was great back in the late 90s/early 2000s. That's why I was pretty excited when they landed the league outfitting deal, though it's definitely been a massive disappointment so far. I guess since they only covered 8 teams back then, they could dedicate more resources per team? That, or unfortunately, the industry as a whole just continues to get cheaper and less creative (yay templates!)

There was even some degree of individuality to warm-ups in Nike 1.0; I remember the Pistons and Celtics having warm-ups inspired from their classic eras.

y2vZMJr.jpg

02iuxt4.jpg

I wouldn’t necessarily call it a massive disappointment. I do think however that Nike is focusing more on streamlining everything — from Jersey editions, shooting shirts, warms ups, etc. Sure most teams have team specific designs on their jerseys, but outside of that? It’s all the same.

I miss the unique team specific warmups, shooting, etc. I also wish there was a bit more focus on tradition like not seeing the Lakers in purple at home or gold on the road (not going to beat that dead horse) or the Celts in their black alts at home. You get the point.

its probably all wishful thinking, because everything is merch driven today.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 hours ago, JELKK said:

This sums up the effort 2k puts into its yearly releases nowadays.

Exactly. If they can map realistic hair and pebbling on the basketball, they could have created a realistic heather for the game. That’s no fault of the uniform design team.

2 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

They were also twice as heavy (literally) and twice as sweaty as what players wear now. No one wants to wear that kind of stuff during play.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

57 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think 1999/2000 was the best year for NBA uniforms. It was past the biggest excesses of the mid-90s, but before the alt-craziness with sleeved Adidas and whatever hell Nike is doing now.

Check out some of these classic looks:

Not everything was a winner then, of course, but in general, the league had a sense of professionalism night to night. Which is weird, because NBA play was so bad back then.

Goes to show there's no accounting for taste, because I hate all of those besides the Suns!

Hawks looked like 90s cornball taste personified, Wolves looked like third-rate X Games merch, Sixers only got away with that color scheme because of Iverson nostalgia.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They were also twice as heavy (literally) and twice as sweaty as what players wear now. No one wants to wear that kind of stuff during play.

"Stuff only a marketer says"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

"Stuff only a marketer says"

I’m not a marketer, and I’m very cynical and skeptical of the discipline as a whole. The weight and moisture retention qualities of a fabric or garment are quantitative facts, however.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Somos PHX: Suns Unveil New City Edition Uniform

November 3, 2018 - 18:27 PM

The Phoenix Suns officially unveiled their new City Edition uniform last night, the uniform confirms the leak we saw late last month. Like their City uniform from last season it’s purple and reads “LOS SUNS” across the front, unlike last […]

Read More...

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Goes to show there's no accounting for taste, because I hate all of those besides the Suns!

Hawks looked like 90s cornball taste personified, Wolves looked like third-rate X Games merch, Sixers only got away with that color scheme because of Iverson nostalgia.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with looks being elevated by great play. I think that Sixers set is good in and of itself, and holds up compared to the blue and wide variations that followed. But, yeah, it's connected to one of the most important players of all time and will always be iconic. The same way the decidedly less-good current Warriors set will always have a place in NBA history even though it's pretty blah.

The end of that Cavs set is criminally underrated. Once they dropped the blue plaint splash they looked so clean and dynamic. It might be one of the great examples of great look bad play (have we done that topic before?)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m not a marketer, and I’m very cynical and skeptical of the discipline as a whole. The weight and moisture retention qualities of a fabric or garment are quantitative facts, however.

A 2 lb jersey and a 1 lb jersey don’t have much scientific affect on world class athletes. 

Placebo effect. 

We’ve talked about this. 

0.13% faster is pretty much insignificant. 

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

A 2 lb jersey and a 1 lb jersey don’t have much scientific affect on world class athletes.

Placebo effect. 

Extra weight is extra. Anything you csn control, elite athletes will try to control. Eventually it does add up because you're wearing out and it just ststts to wear you down faster. 

4 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Extra weight is extra. Anything you csn control, elite athletes will try to control. Eventually it does add up because you're wearing out and it just ststts to wear you down faster. 

But it’s incredibly insignificant. 

Jordan never said “I would have scored 130 if my jersey wasn’t so heavy”. Nobody who played Jordan blamed the jersey for losing.

Archived