College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

21 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

I miss the days when teams looked stupid trying wacky and crazy uniform concepts, not look stupid by wearing practice uniforms as their main ones.

I agree. I see most people here don’t like the new Illinois uniforms, and I am definitely in the group that doesn’t like them. It’s not really the gray that kills it for me (although its not a good uniform), but the matte helmets. They look kind of stupid, I know they have used them in the past but they stick out to me now. Especially on the navy uniform.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a vacuum, I kinda like the look of the Navy helmet with the silver "I", but apart from that, this is a massive downgrade for Illinois.. Their previous set had a fantastic striping pattern that was simple and classic, while also being unique to them.. They did a horrible job of keeping it consistent across all uniform elements, but that was the only negative to that set.. This set however, is absolutely horrible.. Those colored numbers on the colored jerseys will be a nightmare for everyone who actually needs to see them, and they also don't look good.. I don't like "form over function", but at least I can understand it - but these are neither - they look bad AND function poorly.. Swing and miss by the Illini..

It seems as if design, period, has taken a nosedive, regardless of company.

What happened to:

Helmet Stripes

Jersey Stripes (that make sense)

Cuff Stripes

Pants Stripes

Pro Style Socks / Striped Socks

There's no rhyme or reason to any of these looks anymore. 

I say that all to say that Illinois is a downgrade; a fusion of Syracuse & Wazzu as previously stated by others.

My anecdotal theory is that nike has 3 major design phases that they cycle through: retro which is pretty rare these days, modern color blocking to accentuate their overdesigned template of the moment, and minimal to accentuate their simplified template of the moment. We are currently in an extreme minimal phase for cfb. 

22 hours ago, Bolt957 said:

It seems as if design, period, has taken a nosedive, regardless of company.

What happened to:

Helmet Stripes

Jersey Stripes (that make sense)

Cuff Stripes

Pants Stripes

Pro Style Socks / Striped Socks

There's no rhyme or reason to any of these looks anymore. 

I say that all to say that Illinois is a downgrade; a fusion of Syracuse & Wazzu as previously stated by others.

Too much pressure to make it "OMG so clean!!!1!!1!" and "straight fire". "Clean" is starting to lead to ridiculously bad looks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Washington State and Illinois downgrades represent a bad trend in some of these college football uniforms lately. It's baffling to me that these teams are willingly dropping well-designed and unique uniforms for glorified practice jerseys. 

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, henburg said:

The Washington State and Illinois downgrades represent a bad trend in some of these college football uniforms lately. It's baffling to me that these teams are willingly dropping well-designed and unique uniforms for glorified practice jerseys. 

To be fair, Alabama & Penn State to me look like they wear practice jerseys when they play because of the simplicity of the uniform. I still like both of their sets, but if they fall under that "umbrella" term of having ridiculously plain jerseys.

19 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

To be fair, Alabama & Penn State to me look like they wear practice jerseys when they play because of the simplicity of the uniform. I still like both of their sets, but if they fall under that "umbrella" term of having ridiculously plain jerseys.

There would also be fan revolt if either of those schools did much of anything to their uniforms. 

I really hate these Illinois jerseys. Orange and blue just do not have the contrast for those to be the number colors on each color jersey. You can pretty much only pull that off with white, gold, or silver. Orange on blue and vice versa needs an outline of some sort, and even then I don't think it would look very good. 

28 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Those styles work for those teams because they have a history and meaning behind them. In Illinois' case, taking a program with a much less storied history and trying to emulate that style falls flat on its face because everybody knows how artificial it is. Simplicity is good, but there's a delicate balance there to avoid looking amateurish. 

spacer.png

Here’s a few better looks at the jerseys that some of the Oregon players have been testing recently:

NTo7LiMoNDsuPyYrOSc6LjIqPDE=&m=152313741Mg==&m=1523144769NTo7LiMoNDsuPyYrOSc6LjIqPDE=&m=1523137458291904.JPG

Definitely looks to be different prototypes of Nike’s next template. The white and green versions are different, as you can see by comparing the jerseys in the first three photos. The white version has seams on the front similar to what Nike used on the Elite 51 and Speed Machine templates, while the green version has seams going from above the armpit to below the collar, as well as vertical seams running down the torso, and panels along the side. Both versions have the same collar configuration, with what looks like mesh cutouts at the base, as well as laser-cut ventilation holes on the torso. Both versions also have perforations in the front and back numbers. Lastly, both versions have two tonal stripes on the sleeves, as well as tonal Duck logos on the shoulders, presumably to test out different stripe and logo applications.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Wasn't their current template supposed to be a big step forward because of how they managed to almost completely eliminate seams from the jersey? If this is their next template, why have they added so many seams and panels back in?

This is my question. I know that the reason is marketing, but how exactly could the Vapor Untouchable be improved upon? It took the simplicity and fit of the Tech Fit and combined it with better materials. That looks like a step backwards. 

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, henburg said:

This is my question. I know that the reason is marketing, but how exactly could the Vapor Untouchable be improved upon? It took the simplicity and fit of the Tech Fit and combined it with better materials. That looks like a step backwards. 

nike is not known for restraint or extended periods of minimalism, it runs completely contrary to their ethos.

The white jersey looks like it could be ok and still have a fairly traditional cut. The green one looks much too over designed with odd angles and panel inserts.

Hopefully the collar is just a prototype and can be more subtle on the final version.

I’ve greatly enjoyed the Vapor Untouchable because it’s a great template without any of the frills we’ve seen for the last decade or so.

I’m also interested in that number application. Could be a cool way to apply them and reduce the weight of the garment. Likely something that wouldn’t really be noticeable unless you’re up close looking at it. It reminds me of how soccer numbers have been applied before.

Archived