College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

Iowa's numbers look like Michigan State numbers. I know they're not identical, but it's a similar design element. 

Copying a conference-mate's design element is usually not a good choice. See: Checkerboard War, Tennessee & Kentucky. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Iowa's numbers look like Michigan State numbers. I know they're not identical, but it's a similar design element. 

Copying a conference-mate's design element is usually not a good choice. See: Checkerboard War, Tennessee & Kentucky. 

Michigan State's numbers also look much better, and were unique when they debuted. They also fit the overall brand and invoke a battle-scarred look. Iowa's are just there because they thought it looked cool.

And that 4 is atrocious. They made the diagonal bar way too thin and decided to put a notch in it.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Michigan State's numbers also look much better, and were unique when they debuted. They also fit the overall brand and invoke a battle-scarred look. Iowa's are just there because they thought it looked cool.

And that 4 is atrocious. They made the diagonal bar way too thin and decided to put a notch in it.

Please Stop!!  Iowa looks a whole lot better with the new numeric font. It’s grown on me and it’s better than the plain old block numeric font of the last several years.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I personally believe this is a significant upgrade.

2 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Please Stop!!  Iowa looks a whole lot better with the new numeric font. It’s grown on me and it’s better than the plain old block numeric font of the last several years.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I personally believe this is a significant upgrade.

Please Stop!!! They're ripping off a conference rival with a gimmicky fad and downgrading with thick, chunky numerals to do it.. Plain old block looks good, that's why it gets used (also why it was the starting point for their new font design)

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

Mich St really struck CFB gold in an unintended and somewhat infectious way when they first came up with those notched numbers in 2010. I don't think they understood the floodgates they'd opened up of other teams trying to copycat such a defiling of regular block to appear on the cutting edge and "unique" (bleh). They looked great on State (especially against their otherwise simplistic and non-embellished style), but all of the teams that've tried it since look like posers and ultimately dilute the cool thing that MSU had going on. In a sense, you could say that they really kicked off the (at-times cancerous) Proprietary Number Font Wars of the 2010's by proving that any modifications to the standard block of yesteryear and any deviations from the numerical norm are (supposedly) good and necessary.

It really sucks that we're probably never going to see another team come out with a new uni that uses straight-up athletic block again. At least the Jags managed to come out with an attractive block-inspired new font that serves as an evolution of the font as opposed to a hack-job modification of it. 

11 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Just look at the 4, and you’ll see why it’s A truely awful font.

26 minutes ago, pscf3 said:

Finally got a look at Mississippi State on the new Adidas template today. Same basic design, but a buttload of minor changes.

bwSU934.png

AVc9Zh6.png

Texas A&M and Mississippi State look good so far the gate with the new uniforms. Moving the adidas logo from the collar to the yoke helped balance these out pretty well too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

To each its own.  I think the numeric fonts are good, and I can't really tell the resemblance between them and Michigan State's fonts.  They are totally different IMO.

Michigan State's Font:

NCAA-Michigan-St-Spartans0.png

Iowa's Font:

NCAA-Iowa-Hawkeye-2017-Bold0.png

They're different, but not that far apart. I hate the notched font, and I wish Iowa would keep the block numbers. 

Looks like Indiana will have the sublimated candy stripes on the shoulders AND the bottom of the pants. Interesting look. I don't hate it (as is in the photo).

DjSvXhuWsAQwHgC.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

9 hours ago, Tiny_Grandpa said:

Michigan State's Font:

NCAA-Michigan-St-Spartans0.png

Iowa's Font:

NCAA-Iowa-Hawkeye-2017-Bold0.png

They're different, but not that far apart. I hate the notched font, and I wish Iowa would keep the block numbers. 

To be honest, this just shows that the similarities are overblown. They both use notches, sure, but in different ways. The numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 are dramatically different from Michigan State's font.

If anything, a more logical complaint is that both Iowa schools are using custom fonts based on the same typeface (Berthold City). But again, they're different enough that it's not an issue.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

To be honest, this just shows that the similarities are overblown. They both use notches, sure, but in different ways. The numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 are dramatically different from Michigan State's font.

If anything, a more logical complaint is that both Iowa schools are using custom fonts based on the same typeface (Berthold City). But again, they're different enough that it's not an issue.

The main issue is that they both leave a lot to be desired when it comes to polish and finesse.

Michigan State’s cuts look more purposeful, but I question the purpose of them if they go different directions. An opposing 6 and 8, for example, look a bit competitive and ruin any sense of motion created by the cuts. Iowa’s all flow the same way, but they create some really strange counters in the process (4, 5, and to a slightly lesser degree, 3 and 7).

The meat of Michigan State’s numbers are pretty consistent, but the 7 looks really wide compared to the others. Iowa’s have a more consistent width, but some strange details that need to be resolved, like the huge overhang on the 1 and the diagonal of the 4, which needs a little more weight.

At the end of the day, though, I’m still not sold on these cuts as a meaningful design element for either team. Cuts may make sense for the Spartans, but cutting the inside feels precise and calculated, not powerful and spirited like a Spartan would make his cut. I suppose the cuts for Iowa may evoke wings, but I don’t really think they carry the proper look for that type of novelty element, at least not in football. I think a better option would be to use these without the cuts for football. If it were me, though, I’d pull them off for all sports. I think they create more problems than they solve in this case.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20 hours ago, dakotapalm said:

Those Miss State uniforms are very good. Yay, Adidas got it right!

This probably points more towards the schools being as much at fault as the manufacturers for the garbage we see a lot. 

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

At the end of the day, though, I’m still not sold on these cuts as a meaningful design element for either team. Cuts may make sense for the Spartans, but cutting the inside feels precise and calculated, not powerful and spirited like a Spartan would make his cut. I suppose the cuts for Iowa may evoke wings, but I don’t really think they carry the proper look for that type of novelty element, at least not in football. I think a better option would be to use these without the cuts for football. If it were me, though, I’d pull them off for all sports. I think they create more problems than they solve in this case.

boh_1_orig.jpg

Unfortunately they've gone the other way and made it the main font for all sports.  I really hate it.

Has this been talked about yet?  Nike posting "Gridiron Grey 2.0" jersey for Oregon.  Different shoulder and back graphics than the previous editions.  Could be a teaser to the upcoming new Oregon unis?

USC is the only other team with one of these GG2.0 jerseys, and it matches their typical template.  

https://www.nike.com/t/gridiron-grey-2-oregon-mens-football-jersey-xTp8Ms

gridiron-grey-2-oregon-mens-football-jergridiron-grey-2-oregon-mens-football-jer

Archived