College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

Oregon’s new green jerseys do indeed have contrasting nameplates:

sBFNSL4.jpg

So of the four jerseys they’ve unveiled thus far, the green, yellow, and white ones all have contrasting nameplates while the black jerseys have regular nameplates.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

sBFNSL4.jpg

So of the four jerseys they’ve unveiled thus far, the green, yellow, and white ones all have contrasting nameplates while the black jerseys have regular nameplates.

Gross

On 8/21/2018 at 9:25 AM, upperV03 said:

Another look at the new Oregon uniforms together:

DlItqW-VAAEbJjc?format=jpg

I'm just gonna say it, I like these. Assuming we have other unis that make mix and matching not impossible, I think Oregon succeeded in making a statement. Laugh at the hilariously large numbers and colored nameplates, I guarantee you other schools are gonna copy this. You talk about it like they failed in their branding, but the entire internet has gone on fire about these for better or for worse, and that's exactly what oregon wants. I'd say they did a great branding job, they look like nothing else out there and they are causing massive controversy. What isn't Oregon about that?

11 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I’m glad Oregon’s football program is a joke again, because thats the category their uniforms belong in. A disgusting, unfortunate joke.

Yep, a football program that currently has a Heisman candidate at quarterback and a top five recruiting class for 2019 is definitely a joke. They most definitely were a joke during the 2016 season, but to suggest that they’re still a joke is just foolish.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I can understand the dislike for the large numbers on Oregon's uniforms. But beyond that, I don't understand why everything is "gross" or why their uniforms are a joke. Yeah, a contrasting nameplate is questionable, sure. Yeah, the numbers are HUGE. But beyond that (and frankly, I don't much mind the big numbers), I'd take Oregon's style of uniform (and the landscape of football uniforms trending that way) 10 out of 10 times over the piped-up, click-and-fill uniforms of 10/15 years ago (i.e. Missouri, Illinois, and NFL teams like Falcons, Cardinals, and Vikings before their latest redesign), which was what was "hot" back then. These uniforms are simple and uncluttered. That goes a long way.

I laughed at how big the Oregon numbers were when I first saw them, but the more I see pictures of the new set, the more I like it. It's the first time Oregon has actually pushed a design boundary in years, and I think it has potential. 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, henburg said:

I laughed at how big the Oregon numbers were when I first saw them, but the more I see pictures of the new set, the more I like it. It's the first time Oregon has actually pushed a design boundary in years, and I think it has potential. 

YEARS?

35 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I can understand the dislike for the large numbers on Oregon's uniforms. But beyond that, I don't understand why everything is "gross" or why their uniforms are a joke. Yeah, a contrasting nameplate is questionable, sure. Yeah, the numbers are HUGE. But beyond that (and frankly, I don't much mind the big numbers), I'd take Oregon's style of uniform (and the landscape of football uniforms trending that way) 10 out of 10 times over the piped-up, click-and-fill uniforms of 10/15 years ago (i.e. Missouri, Illinois, and NFL teams like Falcons, Cardinals, and Vikings before their latest redesign), which was what was "hot" back then. These uniforms are simple and uncluttered. That goes a long way.

Because they look like practice jerseys.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Yep, a football program that currently has a Heisman candidate at quarterback and a top five recruiting class for 2019 is definitely a joke. They most definitely were a joke during the 2016 season, but to suggest that they’re still a joke is just foolish.

2016 was a very good year. Outside of that? Oregon didnt have their first 10 win season until the 2000s right? Historically, I’d consider Oregon lucky to win 8 games. Sure they had a great 5 year stretch, but they’ve been mediocre/bad in the PAC12 for 2 or 3 years now. Maybe they turn it around? That’s fine by me. I just hope they turn it around uniform wise.

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

You’re just bringing up the uniforms with poor design and cluttered piping, in the NFL no less. These uniforms are not uncluttered. The massive numbers and large “O” on the pants kill that argument. 

I sure as hell hope this isn’t the way uniforms are trending, because I’m taking the uniforms of 15 years ago with modern materials over what Oregon has here any day. Now are these uniforms the worst in CFB? No. But they are BAD.

I'm just laughing at all the people thinking Oregon somehow "brought sexy back" with clean, simple design and not a lot of frills.  I mean it's not like anyone else has already been doing this for a hundred years.

psu-57591_128x128.jpg Tommy+Armstrong+Jr+Nebraska+v+Michigan+S 50e5cbb169beddcd3a00000e-750.jpg 8d9e3196 tumblr_mdgrn8IUA91rfsd8io7_r1_400.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

37 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

2016 was a very good year. Outside of that? Oregon didnt have their first 10 win season until the 2000s right? Historically, I’d consider Oregon lucky to win 8 games. Sure they had a great 5 year stretch, but they’ve been mediocre/bad in the PAC12 for 2 or 3 years now. Maybe they turn it around? That’s fine by me. I just hope they turn it around uniform wise.

You’re just bringing up the uniforms with poor design and cluttered piping, in the NFL no less. These uniforms are not uncluttered. The massive numbers and large “O” on the pants kill that argument.

Unless you're being a bit trollish, I'm not sure what was good about 4-8 in 2016, which was their first losing season since 2004.  As for their uniforms, while I still have issues with their new set, it's a good step in the right direction since there's now a somewhat unified look that doesn't have a bunch of one-offs and multiple templates/styles.  Also, I'm not sure you know what uncluttered means since these are far from cluttered and border on the almost minimalist.  Besides the large numbers, there's nothing on the shoulders except for the conference logo, Nike logo, and the Ducks wordmark.  I wouldn't consider the O and Nike logos on the pants to be a cluttered design either.

1 minute ago, Webfooter said:

Unless you're being a big trollish, I'm not sure what was good about 4-8 in 2016, which was their first losing season since 2004.  As for their uniforms, while I still have issues with their new set, it's a good step in the right direction since there's now a somewhat unified look that doesn't have a bunch of one-offs and multiple templates/styles.  Also, I'm not sure you know what uncluttered means since these are far from cluttered and border on the almost minimalist.  Besides the large numbers, there's nothing on the shoulders except for the conference logo, Nike logo, and the Ducks wordmark.  I wouldn't consider the O and Nike logos on the pants to be a cluttered design either.

*2014. The Championship Game year. It is great that they have a unified look. I just wish the uniforms were done better. I think we can all agree that there are issues with this particular set. 

11 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

I'm just laughing at all the people thinking Oregon somehow "brought sexy back" with clean, simple design and not a lot of frills.  I mean it's not like anyone else has already been doing this for a hundred years.

psu-57591_128x128.jpg Tommy+Armstrong+Jr+Nebraska+v+Michigan+S 50e5cbb169beddcd3a00000e-750.jpg 8d9e3196 tumblr_mdgrn8IUA91rfsd8io7_r1_400.jpg

Exactly. An alternate that a team pulls out once or twice a year is fine by me, I like it. But in the end, the simple, classic look will always be best. These uniforms are the true “fire emoji” worthy uniforms. Unfortunately thats not the direction uniforms are headed in.

14 hours ago, upperV03 said:

sBFNSL4.jpg

They look terrible in hockey, and they look even worse in football. Wow.

ExJworW.png

11 hours ago, pianoknight said:

psu-57591_128x128.jpg  50e5cbb169beddcd3a00000e-750.jpg  etc. 

To be clear, I prefer these traditional looks over either Oregon's new found simplicity or any of the piping, etc. of 10-15 years ago.

But, given the choice between the two, I'd take the lesser of two evils, with Oregon's new uniforms.

maxresdefault.jpg

This was a contrasting nameplate from a random team I found and it looks terrible. I know Oregons looks signifgantly cleaner with the two tone colouring but Im interested to see if they look good on the field.

11 hours ago, pianoknight said:

But i think the thing is that unlike these schools, Oregon has been the trendsetter in college football (and just football, really).

Almost every popular trend started with Oregon. Matte, Patterned, Chrome helmets, became popular after Oregon did them. 

So yeah they definitely didn't invent the "traditional" uniform, nor are they the only team doing it now, but they've been at the forefront of trends for almost the past 20 years, so assuming they're not hot garbage on the field while they wear these, there's a good chance you see other programs (college and hs) influenced by these. 

Archived