FightingGoldenDevil

College Football uniforms- 2018

2 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Has anybody seen pictures of the field? I'm curious to see if the design will be any different this year. 

Nope, it’s the same design again:

DwGzneaUUAElMt9?format=jpg&name=medium

18 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Nope, it’s the same design again:

DwGzneaUUAElMt9?format=jpg&name=medium

i feel like the midfield logo would look much better filled in with black. Not a big fan of the outlines, plus it would balance out with the endzones better. 

On 1/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, Clintau24 said:

Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Ohlahoma, Clemson, Georgia, Kansas State, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee.

Rarely is a terrible choice of words here. Nike knows how to do classic looks well. In fact, many uniforms look best on the Vapor Untouchable uniform. Also, the schools have the same opportunity to say no to Nike as they do to say yes to any alternate they throw out.  

Every single one of those designs existed long before nike was a uniform supplier. All nike is doing is taking classic looks and adapting them to their templates. Off the top of my head I can't think of a nike proprietary design that has any sort of longevity or would be considered a modern classic. That is not to say that there aren't any.

1 minute ago, guest23 said:

Every single one of those designs existed long before nike was a uniform supplier. All nike is doing is taking classic looks and adapting them to their templates. Off the top of my head I can't think of a nike proprietary design that has any sort of longevity or would be considered a modern classic. That is not to say that there aren't any.

Would the Denver Broncos uniform fall into that category?

31 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Actually, Ohio State was still wearing the Woody Hayes uniforms when Nike took over before switching to the current sleeve pattern. Even though we've used it before there was a huge amount of grumbling when it happened. At the end of the day, Nike has to come up with new designs or they fall behind. The same applies to Russell, adidas and Under Armour. Russell's biggest fault was that they only had one big client that was fine with changing up their uniforms pretty much every other year and that was Georgia Tech. The HBCUs liked the attention but they weren't getting the latest and greatest gear.  The easiest clients to convince to take on a new look are those that are not continuously in the conversation for titles. That's why Louisville wore the zombie chicken helmets and Oregon wore uniforms that looked like they were based in a truck bed pattern. 

On 1/5/2019 at 7:07 AM, TenaciousG said:

rsz_kgagodpdhbiccipww_5u96l8fr46udg4d3yw

*Nike sees perfect color combo*

Hmm... how can we add gray and black to this to impress 17 year old kids with no sense of style?

While I agree that our colors never should have been muddied up, Nike's take over of Oregon's branding was strategic. The goal was to put Oregon at the forefront of innovation. The only tradition Oregon had was being mediocre. I love the throwbacks as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't trade our rise to prominence for an aesthetic. 

2 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

Would the Denver Broncos uniform fall into that category?

This is a college football thread so they were not taken into consideration.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Actually, Ohio State was still wearing the Woody Hayes uniforms when Nike took over before switching to the current sleeve pattern. Even though we've used it before there was a huge amount of grumbling when it happened. At the end of the day, Nike has to come up with new designs or they fall behind. The same applies to Russell, adidas and Under Armour. Russell's biggest fault was that they only had one big client that was fine with changing up their uniforms pretty much every other year and that was Georgia Tech. The HBCUs liked the attention but they weren't getting the latest and greatest gear.  The easiest clients to convince to take on a new look are those that are not continuously in the conversation for titles. That's why Louisville wore the zombie chicken helmets and Oregon wore uniforms that looked like they were based in a truck bed pattern. 

Isn't the current sleeve pattern a throwback to the earle bruce era? Also you are talking about sleeve stripes changing, not a uniform redesign which is not relevant to the original point. They also wore nike uniforms with the hayes stripes for around a decade before they changed to the bruces'. Before that the uniforms were they hayes stripes and supplied by champion. They also did a throwback with the black tv numbers back in the eddie george era I believe.

Your assessment does not go back far enough in history. This all started with nike in the mid 90's when nike started to go all in on uniforms with the schools that were existing footwear clients. Two of the earliest that I remember to sport the swoosh were fsu and psu, the next wave were their flagship footwear schools like bama, mich, usc etc. Until the late 90's with the oregon O rebrand they were really just doing retail merch and putting their logo on existing suppliers uniforms like russell. Nike brought their funds and branding expertise into the uniform space which was previously owned by very traditional suppliers who fulfilled catalog orders for their customers. Nike brought sportswear fashion design to an otherwise stagnant segment of sports outfitting and created a market where there was none.  The only reason why teams/schools feel like they have to keep their looks fresh or contemporary is because of what nike started. Going back through national champions the only team that would qualify as having a modern nike design was the u in '01.

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

He mentioned Alabama, USC, and Texas, that fall in to the "existed long before nike" criteria 

No matter your personal beliefs on the addition of non-school colors and alternate uniforms, Oregon simply would not have two national championship appearances and sparkling facilities if it weren’t for Nike’s influence.

3 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

No matter your personal beliefs on the addition of non-school colors and alternate uniforms, Oregon simply would not have two national championship appearances and sparkling facilities if it weren’t for Nike’s influence.

Correct. knight and nike underwrote the entire development of their football program and their athletic department for that matter. Many seem to only focus on the uniform/gear aspect and neglect the facilities, training programs, and marketing etc. which are by far more significant factors when it comes to on field success. Great unis may get a few recruits to take a trip but if you have janky facilities and a stadium that's falling over you're not gonna get any commitments.