FightingGoldenDevil

College Football uniforms- 2018

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Does "Row The Boat" actually motivate an athlete? Seems like a cheesy catchphrase from somebody out of ideas.

 

Only if Kirk, Spock and Bones are singing it:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 4:14 PM, pianoknight said:

 

Only if Kirk, Spock and Bones are singing it:

 

 

A Star Trek reference here? Never thought I’d see the day. That whole movie had some cheese. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect an oar helmet stripe, plus a patch on the jersey and maybe a RTB inspired uni.

 

I hate the Row The Boat bull****. I get that it is supposed to be motivational, but who the **** gets motivation out of a coach yelling “Lets row the boat!”? Really? It was corny at Western, but now it’s in the Big 10, so it needs to stop. Minnesota has a great look, no need to add random boating themed crap to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 10:59 AM, lahaye7 said:

A Star Trek reference here? Never thought I’d see the day. That whole movie had some cheese. 

 

First, The Final Frontier is underrated. It's not good, but it's not as bad as people say.

 

As for "Row the Boat", I got to tour WMU when PJ was still there and I really got the vibe that the kids were buying into it. And I'd say the 13-0 record with a Cotton Bowl appearance is proof enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

First, The Final Frontier is underrated. It's not good, but it's not as bad as people say.

 

As for "Row the Boat", I got to tour WMU when PJ was still there and I really got the vibe that the kids were buying into it. And I'd say the 13-0 record with a Cotton Bowl appearance is proof enough. 

That's all well and good, but does it need to be plastered all over the game uniforms to be effective? Surely the quarterback could complete a pass without a giant oar decal spanning his helmet..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 12:15 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

I would expect an oar helmet stripe, plus a patch on the jersey and maybe a RTB inspired uni.

 

I hate the Row The Boat bull****. I get that it is supposed to be motivational, but who the **** gets motivation out of a coach yelling “Lets row the boat!”? Really? It was corny at Western, but now it’s in the Big 10, so it needs to stop. Minnesota has a great look, no need to add random boating themed crap to it. 

 

I assumed it was a metaphor describing how efficiently the boat moves when all the rowers are not only working hard individually, but also working in sync with their boat mates.

 

That said, it still doesn’t belong on a uniform. That’s weight room/practice field/film study stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

First, The Final Frontier is underrated. It's not good, but it's not as bad as people say.

You're joking, right? It's easily still the worst of the Star Trek movies, even after Nemesis and Into Darkness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2017 at 8:33 AM, MJWalker45 said:

 They have had that shade of gold for ages, other than when Glen Mason changed to old gold in the 90's. I don't see them moving away from that. Hopefully Minnesota limits his RTB mantra to wordmarks instead allowing paddles all over the uniforms. 

 

Agreed on the point about athletic gold and RTB, but it's interesting you blame Mason when he was the guy who changed away from old gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus... can we get off the PJ Fleck BS and get back to uniforms for 2018???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adidas just unveiled their new template: Primeknit A1. Should be a big upgrade for the schools who currently have the Primeknit/Shockweb mess. Hopefully we see most of the top Adidas schools switch to this template in 2018.

 

http://news.adidas.com/US/Latest-News/adidas-to-debut-the-primeknit-a1-football-uniform-for-the-2018-army-all-american-bowl/s/3992901a-6da2-457c-abc5-92ba8c7caa0d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2017 at 9:39 AM, lbj273 said:

In their modern history they have always used golden yellow outside of a few very small windows.  The first being 1972-1976

 

 

 

 

Dates and images taken from https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/2/16/14623320/minnesota-football-uniforms-history-tbt if you want to see their full history.

I really like the yellow helmet (1968 - 1971, though the jersey leaves something to be desired).  I think Minnesota's maroon and (what they call) gold scheme is great and the old gold in the 1990s looked really odd to me.  My favorite head-to-toe looks on that link are 1996-1998 and 1999-2007.

 

In any case, I think Minnesota looks pretty good right now. I don't love variations that limit yellow.  BUt for the most part they make god use of a nice color scheme and I hope any change would be more traditional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, pscf3 said:

Adidas just unveiled their new template: Primeknit A1. Should be a big upgrade for the schools who currently have the Primeknit/Shockweb mess. Hopefully we see most of the top Adidas schools switch to this template in 2018.

 

http://news.adidas.com/US/Latest-News/adidas-to-debut-the-primeknit-a1-football-uniform-for-the-2018-army-all-american-bowl/s/3992901a-6da2-457c-abc5-92ba8c7caa0d

Definitely an upgrade, but still doesn’t solve the problem of the laffy taffy fabric and warped names and numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Definitely an upgrade, but still doesn’t solve the problem of the laffy taffy fabric and warped names and numbers.

Still looks like that tire tread on the template.  I also agree on the bit of warped name/number looks as well.  It just looks awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pscf3 said:

Adidas just unveiled their new template: Primeknit A1. Should be a big upgrade for the schools who currently have the Primeknit/Shockweb mess. Hopefully we see most of the top Adidas schools switch to this template in 2018.

 

http://news.adidas.com/US/Latest-News/adidas-to-debut-the-primeknit-a1-football-uniform-for-the-2018-army-all-american-bowl/s/3992901a-6da2-457c-abc5-92ba8c7caa0d

oh how nice of them to do this when I finally finished my adidas template *bangs head against desk*

 

Personal complaint aside, these do look like an improvement. They still need to fix the whole warped numbers and name issue though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I really like the yellow helmet (1968 - 1971, though the jersey leaves something to be desired).  I think Minnesota's maroon and (what they call) gold scheme is great and the old gold in the 1990s looked really odd to me.  My favorite head-to-toe looks on that link are 1996-1998 and 1999-2007.

 

In any case, I think Minnesota looks pretty good right now. I don't love variations that limit yellow.  BUt for the most part they make god use of a nice color scheme and I hope any change would be more traditional.

I also like the athletic gold helmet, and also don't mind the white helmet, but please leave "Row the Boat" out of the stripes.

 

A template change to get rid of the giant collars on the non maroon jerseys would be a welcome site too, but all in all I (and most local fans) think the current look is about as nice as they have ever looked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Still looks like that tire tread on the template.  I also agree on the bit of warped name/number looks as well.  It just looks awful

The pattern looks much less obnoxious than the tire tread. The warped name and numbers is a standard feature of Adidas uniforms for many years. I'll be curious how they handle A&M's shoulder stripes as the stripes will have to cross through a stitch area now in this template. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

The pattern looks much less obnoxious than the tire tread. The warped name and numbers is a standard feature of Adidas uniforms for many years. I'll be curious how they handle A&M's shoulder stripes as the stripes will have to cross through a stitch area now in this template. 

 

The stripes have had to cross a stitch area on the Primeknit template the past three years, and it has resulted in them being warped a bit:

 

GettyImages-487062164__1441577256.jpg?it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now