College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Virginia wanted to use a custom font, why wouldn't they just use the one from their basketball uniforms? Cincinnati uses a similar font and it looks fine on their football uniforms.

It's the same thing as Syracuse: the other sports (except for baseball, in UVA's case) have one font that they use across the board, and then football randomly has their own uglier font. I don't get it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 3/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, Lights Out said:

If Virginia wanted to use a custom font, why wouldn't they just use the one from their basketball uniforms? Cincinnati uses a similar font and it looks fine on their football uniforms.

It's the same thing as Syracuse: the other sports (except for baseball, in UVA's case) have one font that they use across the board, and then football randomly has their own uglier font. I don't get it.

Texas A&M uses the same number font across all sports

On 3/25/2018 at 1:08 PM, andyfootball67 said:

Texas A&M uses the same number font across all sports

Wish more schools would do this.  Wisconsin uses the same number font for football and basketball, but not all sports.  Hockey is very close, but seems slightly off and then baseball just does its own thing entirely.

Really helps tie together a brand.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

15 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Wish more schools would do this.  Wisconsin uses the same number font for football and basketball, but not all sports.  Hockey is very close, but seems slightly off and then baseball just does its own thing entirely.

Really helps tie together a brand.

I think almost all of Wisconsin's womens programs do too, not sure about hockey and softball. I know soccer does.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Arizona State uses the same number font across all sports

Expect with Hockey...they used "Sun Devil Bold" in 16-17 but did not during this 17-18 season. Never got the chance to ask the equip manager why.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

1 minute ago, VDizzle12 said:

Huge downgrade for Illinois...

illinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000ORANGE_illinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000WHITE_Pillinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000BLUE_POillinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000GRAY_PO

Eww. These suck. All Illinois needed to do was fix the inconsistencies with the stripes, which I guess the did by getting rid of them all!!!! Cripes these are soooo plain.

21 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

illinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000ORANGE_illinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000WHITE_Pillinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000BLUE_POillinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000GRAY_PO

Their "brand" is now the vague 'hail to the orange' and the giant Block I.  It means nothing.  There's nothing.  Nothing.

It's entirely inoffensive and devoid of culture or identity.  This is the legacy that the Illiniwek Panic has created.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

32 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

illinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000BLUE_POillinifootball_uniforms_1000x1000GRAY_PO

I actually like these better. The sleeve stripes that didn't match the pant stripes and collar weren't the best and it's good to be rid of them. They probably should have kept outlines on the numbers but it's not a deal breaker. I think sublimated versions of the old Red Grange jerseys on the front would have been useful but not necessary. I think teams need to stop showing all of these as monochrome entities. O/B/O and O/W/O will be the best looks of the set. Unfortunately the Ghost unis will remain the DG/G/G look.  To be fair, going back to the Simeon Rice uniforms would have been the best option but no one likes to go backwards for a superior look right now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What infuriates me to no end is that the goddamn logo is a block I with these pronounced serifs, yet for the numerals they go with generic, over-rounded numbers.

Not only that, they're taking the stupidest route possible with the helmet.  If you are going to be devoid of an identity, you have to maintain one helmet.  Make the helmet, the I, the brand.  Defend the I.  Protect the I.   Etc.

Yet here they have, what, three helmets?  Matte/semigloss with a cool I emblem on it.  I dig.  Use the orange one only.

Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SAYING YOUR IDENTITY IS BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER MEANS FOR YOU TO BRAND THE SCHOOL.

ILLINOIS_LOGO.jpg

Even this, the previous I, not even remotely evocative of Native American/Illiniwek tribe culture, got turned into something crappier for reasons unknown.

block.i.orange.png

That sucks ass.  That looks rubbery and weak. It means nothing.  It is nothing.  It's just a goddamn goofy letter, and that's all that the Illini brand is these days, so I guess they got what they wanted.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 minutes ago, bowld said:

Illinois has become completely irrelevant. Growing up they always had good football and basketball teams. What the hell happened to them

Football program hired horrible coach after horrible coach.  They kept starting over and buying these buffoons out of their horrible contracts, so the program's already mediocre recruiting went from "maybe a solid 3rd choice" to "no way I'm going here."  Lots of stupid scandalous garbage and a program run by stupid people.  Garbage in, garbage out.

Basketball never truly recovered from losing to Sean May.  Lots of finger pointing about how they fail to recruit Chicago, coach-firing hysteria, "why don't he want me, man?" regrets over Bill Self.

Honestly Josh Whitman has been a revelation.  Getting Lovie was a pretty huge move, and if he sticks around like he says he will, the football program will eventually return to being competitive at worst.  Recruiting is definitely getting better.  People want to play for Lovie.

Things are still in flux with the basketball program, but the new coach seems alright, and if recruiting improves, the culture around town will re-embrace the Illini.  Everybody around here always supports the teams, but a lot of the losing culture has driven some of the cool-factor out.  They have a great football stadium and Assembly Hall is still a fun place to catch a game.  Here's hoping in the next 3-5 years, Illinois is back to being their usual competitive selves.

twitter

These are pretty awful.  The helmets are in desperate need of stripes. The all-orange set is a joke.  The white jersey isn't bad, but looks horrible with the white helmet.

Everything is just so plain. Minimalism at its worst, really. 

Go back to the 90s look, but use the I instead of ILLINOIS (even though I liked that).

s568872814488652156_p1512_i1_w579.jpeg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

These are pretty awful.  The helmets are in desperate need of stripes. The all-orange set is a joke.  The white jersey isn't bad, but looks horrible with the white helmet.

Everything is just so plain. Minimalism at its worst, really. 

Go back to the 90s look, but use the I instead of ILLINOIS (even though I liked that).

s568872814488652156_p1512_i1_w579.jpeg

They desperately need that kind of numeral.  Big blocky, POW numbers.  Not this sleek, rounded bullcrap. 

twitter

Archived