College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

Iowa State had a great previous set in my opinion, but these are a nice replacement. The folded numbers are original, and I get a “swirling” cyclone feel from them (although that might be borderline nikespeak...). My one issue is how the 1 looks so different from all the other digits. Looks like a block 1 whereas all the other digits have strong curved elements and the fold somewhere. That said, solid look, 7.5/10. I’d rate it higher if the black option had some cardinal and yellow. I get the “Win in the Dark” campaign necessitates a black jersey, but don’t abandon your brand in the process.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider Iowa State to be a slight upgrade. They look less like USC which is good, and I'll take the dumb black uniforms over the dumb grey. 

I thought the previous set for Arkansas was their best set ever. The new set is now their best look ever for me. I thought I preferred the satin finish on the helmet, but seeing those pictures near each other, I've changed my mind on that. 

As some others have pointed out, I feel like the ultimate shame with these new ISU uniforms is the lack of gold pants. I'm sure they'll mix and match as opposed to keeping everything monochromatic. So why not at least have the option? Keeping gold pants would allow them to tie back to the previous set while sticking with the new design. I mocked this up to see what it looked like. (Please ignore my fairly sloppy Photoshopping and the out-dated template. Ha.)

ISU18GP.png

10 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I like these, but count me among the few who loved the previous set. 

The previous set was top-5 in the country for me.  So I consider this a downgrade.  The black uniform is terrible.  I agree with everyone on the yellow pants.

But overall they are decent.  The white jersey is really sharp.  I like that darker red trim in the red jersey.  The only thing that bothers me on that jersey is the unnecessary black collar.  That sticks out like a sore thumb.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

As some others have pointed out, I feel like the ultimate shame with these new ISU uniforms is the lack of gold pants. I'm sure they'll mix and match as opposed to keeping everything monochromatic. So why not at least have the option? Keeping gold pants would allow them to tie back to the previous set while sticking with the new design. I mocked this up to see what it looked like. (Please ignore my fairly sloppy Photoshopping and the out-dated template. Ha.)

ISU18GP.png

The yellow pants greatly improve that look imo. Hopefully they don’t leave them out. 

19 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Well...at least they're tolerable.  I am surprised that, after all the talk about black, it's only on the home collar (and obvious alt).

On the other hand, Virginia Tech and Iowa State have both moved away from UCLA stripes, so maybe this is a (disappoining) trend...

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Now that Nike has put Iowa State into a black jersey, I look forward to seeing Alabama in blue and orange, Ohio State and Michigan State in maize and blue, USC in powder blue, and Clemson in garnet and black.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

20 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

Iowa State looks immensely better on a human.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: 

Good: 

• White helmet
  • White Jersey
  • Red helmet
  • Font

Bad:

• Black collar on red jersey

Ugly:

• How is the heck is plain pants modern? I mean Penn State and Texas have worn them for years and they are not considered modern uniforms by any means. 
    • Red pants
    • White pants
    • Black pants
  • Black uniform in general
  • Their previous uniform was a top 10 look. This is NOT. 

spacer.png

On 7/10/2018 at 10:47 AM, upperV03 said:

Nice.  I especially appreciate the fact that they chose to display this update with the red-over-red-over-white combo.  Of course, it could mean nothing but it does give hope that they might not be inclined to go with so much little-league monocrap.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, JPDesign said:

Speaking of:

Good catch. I think on its own, the one on the right is more classically proportioned, but it does look slightly narrow compared to the 2. I’m guesssibg they opened it up to make it feel a little wider. The new one is unique, and maybe even a bit weird-looking, but it’s theirs, and I like that.

what I don’t like is that doublewide N sitting in the center of the word. ?

On 7/9/2018 at 6:50 PM, JPDesign said:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on around the sleeves of the black jersey. Supers asymmetrical striping.

22 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm trying to figure out the sleeve designs for Iowa State. It almost looks like what the Jaguars have, but with a thicker stripe on the left sleeve? Maybe the angles go from front to back on one side and back to front on the other?

I’m guessing it’s meant to evoke a cyclone, so the one stripe goes front to back and the other back to front. I think the numbers are trying to accomplish this as well, but the end result doesn’t really communicate the cyclone idea very well. 

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nice.  I especially appreciate the fact that they chose to display this update with the red-over-red-over-white combo.  Of course, it could mean nothing but it does give hope that they might not be inclined to go with so much little-league monocrap.

I don't think Arkansas has deviated all that much from the red-red-white look at home. They've done all-grey a few times, and went all-red for their pretend rivalry with Missouri (and LSU games I think) under Bielema. For not being a national power and having way too much money, they've been surprisingly subdued in their uniform options. 

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

what I don’t like is that doublewide N sitting in the center of the word. ?

Could always be worse.

U7U9bdM.jpg

So we have Iowa State in black, and we've had the Florida Gatorcanes...

Florida-White-Helmets-F.png

Now we wait for Texas to unveil a new maroon alternate :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 minute ago, Webfooter said:

Orange is one of Florida's main colors so I don't think you can say they're wearing a rival team's colors.

Sure, but a white helmet and orange jersey, even as separate elements, are at best vestigial parts of Florida’s look (that is, they’ve worn them, but not really in their most successful eras, rarely together, and few would pinpoint them as integral pieces of their visual brand). A white helmet and orange jersey, however, are the single most signature elements of Miami’s visual legacy on the football field, and they are a chief in-state rival.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 7/11/2018 at 1:14 AM, Ted Cunningham said:

ISU18GP.png

Red/Red/Gold really should be the primary look. On the other hand, if they had kept the gold pants, we could have been blessed with this potential combo --

usatsi_8977468.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:47 AM, upperV03 said:

Really nice new uniforms for Arkansas:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/modern-style-traditional-fire/

Not a whole lot of changes, but they moved to the VU template and made some small adjustments to both the jerseys and pants, as well as going back to the more traditional helmet finish. Count me as a fan.

I couldn't disagree more.

The matte helmet was beautiful.  They had the perfect shade of red/crimson to pull it off.  The shoulder tusks, though unnecessary, mimicked the Razorback logo in a way that actually made sense for a Nike team and wasn't just some BS industry speak for stadium roof supports.  I'm not a fan of wordmarks or spikey pant stripes... but they at least were consistent with this uniform and the jersey and when they originate form the knee, it allows for mix and match with white jersey red pants and red jersey white pants.  With the stripe originating at the waist, the stripe almost has to match the jersey color or it looks weird.

Small changes, big downgrade.

Archived