XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. The XFL was great and if Vince McMahon learned anything (doubtful, I know), it could have a better go-round this time.

Though last time, the XFL was buoyed by NBC. This time, all of the major networks have a piece of the NFL. I don't know where XFL could live, outside of FS1. And given WWE's attachment to Universal, I don't know how likely that is.

We're so lucky all of our major media are consolidated!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Honestly, I'm all for it, as long as they tone down some of the out-there rules.  Think about it - 

We're in an era where college coaches are making >$5M / year, and kids are getting suspended for signing autographs for $5.  They generate 10s of millions for their schools, but get nothing in return.

The XFL would give them an outlet to get paid on their way to the pros.  If you're a top HS prospect given the chance to go to the NCAA and maybe develop into an NFL prospect but maybe not, or go to the XFL and earn $ on the way to getting an even bigger deal from the NFL (or, failing, but at least having profited off of the name you made for yourself as a HS prospect), why on earth would you go to the NCAA?

It's the perfect time for a new start-up league - but it has to be one that can get the appropriate exposure.  None of the others we've seen recently (UFL, some other garbage one that I can't recall) could do that to the level that would entice talent - but Vince can.  

ALso - it's good Network content.  

Quoting from another thread into this one, yes, there are some NFL bull :censored: changes that could be made in a new XFL. The replay stuff, the ticky-tack fouls, and so on. An NFL-style game but with significantly less timeouts, national anthem stuff, Jerry Jones, concussions (boy do they need to nail that) could make the game a lot better. To be honest, if they could find a way to wrap up a football game in a soccer-style guaranteed two hours, it might really be a great product.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wouldn't be shocked if Vince tries carrying it on the WWE Network. 

Not sure how well that would work though, or how that would go over with potential NFL prospects. Asking them to join a league exclusive a paid streaming service that only a few thousand people have. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

33 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Vince tries carrying it on the WWE Network. 

Not sure how well that would work though, or how that would go over with potential NFL prospects. Asking them to join a league exclusive a paid streaming service that only a few thousand people have. 

I'm pretty sure WWE has now turned a profit on WWEN, but nowhere near enough to pay for an entire football league.

Sorry, but any revival will still fail miserably because folks won't pay the prices to watch semi-pro football. Indoor (which what this attempt may be) or outdoor, it's still a gate driven business. There are thousands of dudes who still think they can "be a pro", so the suckers are there to pay for a tryout.

Don Yee, Tom Brady's agent, is going to attempt the "league for those who don't want to attend college" in 2018 also, called the PAC Pro, allegedly with four teams in SoCal.  We'll see about that too.

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Quoting from another thread into this one, yes, there are some NFL bull :censored: changes that could be made in a new XFL. The replay stuff, the ticky-tack fouls, and so on. An NFL-style game but with significantly less timeouts, national anthem stuff, Jerry Jones, concussions (boy do they need to nail that) could make the game a lot better. To be honest, if they could find a way to wrap up a football game in a soccer-style guaranteed two hours, it might really be a great product.

How do you see them squaring player safety improvements with “where is my smash-mouth football?”

The NFL needs more restriction and regulation, not less, if it is to seriously address CTE.  

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Honestly, I'm all for it, as long as they tone down some of the out-there rules.  Think about it - 

We're in an era where college coaches are making >$5M / year, and kids are getting suspended for signing autographs for $5.  They generate 10s of millions for their schools, but get nothing in return.

The XFL would give them an outlet to get paid on their way to the pros.  If you're a top HS prospect given the chance to go to the NCAA and maybe develop into an NFL prospect but maybe not, or go to the XFL and earn $ on the way to getting an even bigger deal from the NFL (or, failing, but at least having profited off of the name you made for yourself as a HS prospect), why on earth would you go to the NCAA?

It's the perfect time for a new start-up league - but it has to be one that can get the appropriate exposure.  None of the others we've seen recently (UFL, some other garbage one that I can't recall) could do that to the level that would entice talent - but Vince can.  

ALso - it's good Network content.  

Quoting myself here just to bring this over to this thread.

"Power 5" college football is bull :censored:, and blue-chip high schoolers need a better option than to be taken advantage of by a farce of an institution like college football.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

How do you see them squaring player safety improvements with “where is my smash-mouth football?”

The NFL needs more restriction and regulation, not less, if it is to seriously address CTE.  

The NFL needs less holding, less reception issues, and less tedious instant replay review. It also needs a better approach to dealing with head injuries.

I don't know how the XFL can improve the latter, but it can improve the former.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

... considering the connection between the WWF/E with concussions since the XFL, there might be a ton of negative publicity.

I saw, I came, I left.

Get rid of the opening scrum, go back to a coin flip.

Focus on the football, not the PT Barnum bells and whistles.

Do stadiums still need to use grass? That would lead to Las Vegas being out of the running should they come back. 

As far as costs, MLS stadiums being used instead of NFL could help keep costs down. Could they even partner with the company that makes temporary stadiums like in Phoenix? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Get rid of the opening scrum, go back to a coin flip.

Focus on the football, not the PT Barnum bells and whistles.

Do stadiums still need to use grass? That would lead to Las Vegas being out of the running should they come back. 

As far as costs, MLS stadiums being used instead of NFL could help keep costs down. Could they even partner with the company that makes temporary stadiums like in Phoenix? 

Half of the former league was playing in essentially vacant stadiums to start with, so going to a MLS stadium during a concurrent season doesn't help the MLS team.

Let's also not forget that both the WWE and GE lost tens of millions of dollars with the previous venture and lost it fairly quickly. Who's/what's going to change that?

If this actually happens (BIG if), I'm willing to bet the very first place they put a team is at the Oakland Coliseum to capitalize on the Raiders skipping town for Vegas.

He'd be nuts to not immediately start trying to secure leases in Oakland, San Diego, and St. Louis.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 12/16/2017 at 12:32 PM, DG_Now said:

Though last time, the XFL was buoyed by NBC. This time, all of the major networks have a piece of the NFL. I don't know where XFL could live, outside of FS1. And given WWE's attachment to Universal, I don't know how likely that is.

Well, let's not forget that the WWE Network (their streaming service) is very profitable, and could be a place for games.  I think any new football league would have to invest heavily in streaming.

Archived