XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why so many people want this (and other similar leagues) to fail.  In what way is the success of a second football league a bad thing?

I understand that the odds are that it will fail, but the vitriol spewed toward any non-NFL league that starts up just doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure why so many people want this (and other similar leagues) to fail.  In what way is the success of a second football league a bad thing?

I understand that the odds are that it will fail, but the vitriol spewed toward any non-NFL league that starts up just doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Agreed, at the same time, I get the feeling College Football is going to implode with soon (from some scandal or protest of the CPF things), and while not go away completely,  these minor leagues if you will, will need to be around to be feeders into the NFL. 

Rule 1: Each team must designate one player who will wear the name "He Hate Me" on the back of their jersey.

Rule 2: Whatever the hell they want.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Well a few things. 

The first is that Vince seems to be gearing this towards the people who freaked out over NFL players expressing their Constitutional rights by insisting everyone will stand for the anthem. He’s essentially stroking and emboldening the worst aspects of sports fandom. 

The second big factor is that every non-NFL league since the AFL has failed spectacularly. The XFL 1.0 being the one that failed the hardest. So there’s a bit of a morbid curiosity to see how bad it will go this time.

Finally? We don’t even know how dangerous playing football is, but each new study suggests it’s more dangerous than we previously thought. 

Theres an argument that rules changes and complete transparency for informed consent will solve the NFL’s biggest issues in due time, but now this?

If we acknowlege point two above than it seems dangerous to add another league where football players put their mental health on the line, just to appease Vince McMahon’s ego in what’s statistically very likely to be a losing venture.  

I can barely bring myself to watch grown men making themselves brain dead for millions of dollars, no way I can justify watching them do it for thousands.

... is what I would say if I didn't love college football so much. :mellow:

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm hoping for the XFL to succeed. The NFL has become greedy and out-of-touch. It could use some competition.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, CRichardson said:

It's been well-documented that Vince is seriously out of touch with modern culture.

Scott Hall did a Tony Montana impression and Vince was like "this is brilliant, how did you come up with such a revolutionary character?" and Razor Ramon was born because Vince doesn't watch movies, TV, or do anything but yell at Pat Patterson about Raw formatting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well a few things. 

The first is that Vince seems to be gearing this towards the people who freaked out over NFL players expressing their Constitutional rights by insisting everyone will stand for the anthem. He’s essentially stroking and emboldening the worst aspects of sports fandom. 

The second big factor is that every non-NFL league since the AFL has failed spectacularly. The XFL 1.0 being the one that failed the hardest. So there’s a bit of a morbid curiosity to see how bad it will go this time.

Finally? We don’t even know how dangerous playing football is, but each new study suggests it’s more dangerous than we previously thought. 

Theres an argument that rules changes and complete transparency for informed consent will solve the NFL’s biggest issues in due time, but now this?

If we acknowlege point two above than it seems dangerous to add another league where football players put their mental health on the line, just to appease Vince McMahon’s ego in what’s statistically very likely to be a losing venture.  

Exactly.    

I don’t agree that everyone who is skeptical wants the league to fail.  But all of that does provide more than enough reason to want this particular league to fail. 

The Tulsa Trickle Downs?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 minutes ago, Saint Zephyr III said:

So if they're blatantly and transparently capitalizing on anger over the anthem protests, I take it they're going to go for more conservative big cities right?

Jesus Christ, there's going to be a team like the "Cleveland Grit" or the "Birmingham Bootstraps" isn't there?

1 minute ago, CRichardson said:

The Tulsa Trickle Downs?

HUSTLE

LOYALTY

RESPECT

Vince is looking and sounding rough. Is he fighting the flu, or is he just old and I don't quite realize it, or are his vocal cords shot from years of growling through Royal Rumble voiceovers?

Vince is 72 now and he's been sounding worse every time he's on TV. So unless there's some secret longterm illness* he's battling he might just be old. 

*Not an illness but there are rumors he's just about blind. Getting old sucks, even for a Genetic Jackhammer™.

Hopefully there is not a team in Dallas as it would get zero media coverage in an over saturated sports market.

Also, at least it's not a baseball league as I think creating a rival baseball league would be extremely difficult. 

Archived