XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

I think cities may be more northerly depending on if the league plays in the April/May/June time frame. I think ideally, a month after the Super Bowl would be the best time to kick off. After the NFL draft in April, those players that didn't make NFL rosters that year could supplement the teams that lose players due to injury. It would also allow players the chance to be seen by CFL teams and enter training camps right at the stat instead of in the middle of the year if it started later in the spring. It's amazing how many stadiums that were grass fields in 2001 are now FieldTurf in 2018. Would grass still be an expectation? My brother mentioned that Canton would be the right sized stadium for the league at around 20,000 seats. But with the Hall of Fame Stadium logos and wordmarks sewn in it would require replacing the field and then relaying it later, so that would probably not happen. Hartford, Raleigh-Durham, Orlando (Central Florida), and a few of the smaller FBS and larger FCS stadiums in major or mid-major cities would make for good startup venues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest thing for me was that McMahon launched a separate company to create this league, instead of putting it under the WWE umbrella like the old XFL was.  

The two big things I really liked with the old XFL were the uniforms/style and the innovations like the flywire cameras.  At the time, the XFL uniforms were so radical and "out-there" but from what's happened in college football over the last 15 years, the new league might seem tame.  Either way, it should be fun.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If McMahon can keep his ego in check, not force himself in front of the camera and avoid the ridiculous wrestling/cheesecake/neanderthal elements of his style to infiltrate the league, the XFL can work.  He just has to remember that his target audience isn't 25 year old weightlifting "bro" dudes, it is the 40 year old dad, his wife and their 2 kids.  Make a league for them. 

Random thoughts based on the more recent posts...

1. Vince McMahon will have no problem operating a "second banana" league compared to the NFL.  As long as there's a profit in it; or one can be seen in the foreseeable future?  There's reason not to do it.  The Heavyweight titleholder may make the most money, but the Featherweight champ does okay too.
  2. I'm not sure where the $750K figure for head coaches comes from, but I doubt that's accurate - it's way too high given the plan.  That'd be $6 million for coaches' salaries alone - and while I'm sure McMahon's prepared to back this with more than just $100 million, committing 6% of that figure to coaches he could get for a third that isn't sound business practice.
  3. I'd bet money on Oakland, St. Louis and San Diego being XFL markets.  I'd bet, though a smaller amount, on New York and Chicago.  Memphis and Orlando I'd consider likely, as San Antonio.  Other possibilities I'd say are at least logical would be Cleveland, Toronto (though where they'd play would be a huge question), Denver or Salt Lake City, perhaps Washington DC (though I personally wouldn't put one there).
  4. Markets from 2001 they're likely not considering are Las Vegas and Los Angeles... and the only reason I think Chicago is likely is television - a potential TV partner might require certain markets, just as the USFL was required by ABC to have franchises in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.

nav-logo.png

Could be just do it in one city, namely Orlando? The city is already interested.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/from-the-sports-editor/os-xfl-orlando-rage-0125-story.html

He could use Full Sail University enrollees as the cheap, non-union production staff.

He doesn't have to worry about finding places to practice in cold weather cities in February and March. Practice and play at Disney Wide World of Sports?

That said, the oral  history of the original season is a good read and shows that he's given himself just over 7 more months than before.

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history

3 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Vince McMahon will have no problem operating a "second banana" league compared to the NFL.  As long as there's a profit in it; or one can be seen in the foreseeable future?  There's reason not to do it.  The Heavyweight titleholder may make the most money, but the Featherweight champ does okay too.

History suggests otherwise. 

He wasn’t content to keep the WWF as a regional wrestling promotion when he bought it from his father. He wanted to dominate the wrestling world and put his competition under. 

He started the WBF with the intent of driving the IFBB out of business. 

He started the XFL with potshots about the “No Fun League” and how the XFL was rougher and tougher and “sexier” than the NFL. I have no doubt that supplanting the NFL was Vince’s long-term intention with the XFL 1.0. 

Maybe Vince has mellowed in his old age but his past history suggests that his ego won’t allow him to keep the XFL as “just” a supplemental league. 

Past history notwithstanding, Vince recognizes a 500 pound gorilla when he sees one.  And he knows he's not likely to live long enough to overtake the NFL.  In this case, I think he'd be happy for simply establishing it and ensuring it survives him.  He's trying to build his legacy here; he could never really call WWF/WWE that to himself, as his father (or grandfather) started it.

nav-logo.png

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

ROSE: If you have a guiding principle of the WWE and Vince McMahon, it's the live event is where it happens. Give the fan his or her money's worth.

Give the people what they want, or, alternatively, a Samoan in a flak jacket.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m excited because this is a fun and stupid distraction. New teams, forgotten players, old names that can’t coach anymore.... I’ll chuckle and giggle and watch passively like everyone else.

It’s pretty obvious that this XFL venture will end one of two ways: it will end after 2-3 years of flailing around in mediocrity and hemorrhaging money or it will be successful enough to eventually be assimilated/purchased by the NFL as an off-season attraction.

However, the smart venture (that actually has a chance to eventually overthrow the NFL) would be to create a “future football” league, creating a version of football that is thinking about 20-30 years from now. Do radical things to protect the players: eliminate helmets, some padding, hits to the head, premium health care plans/pensions for players, etc. Make the game fun, safer (backed up by science and data), with common sense rules. Allow 18 year olds to play/skip college/get paid immediately (you can partner with the University of Phoenix or something to allow them free tuition and gain an education). It probably looks more like the sport from Starship Troopers, but what do you really have to lose other than money?

At this rate, the NFL has shown itself to be a dinosaur run by reactive clowns in regards to player safety and forward thinking. If you start now and make the tough changes that the NFL refuses to make and you can find a way to make them work, you can beat them to the punch. If there was an alternative league/sport like this, I think you could see a player like Josh Rosen (who seems like a bright individual and isn’t afraid to speak up about systems like the NCAA) to spurn the NFL and join your league. He might make less money in the immediate, but the promise of making money earlier by skipping the NCAA and much better mental and physical health in longevity post-football might be enough.

Just some musings, XFL. 

14 minutes ago, GFB said:

However, the smart venture (that actually has a chance to eventually overthrow the NFL long-term) right now would be to create a “future football” league, creating a version of football that is thinking about 20-30 years from now. Do radical things to protect the players: eliminate helmets, some padding, hits to the head, premium health care plans/pensions for players, etc. Make the game fun, safer (backed up by science and data), with common sense rules. Allow 18 year olds to play/skip college/get paid immediately (you can partner with the University of Phoenix or something to allow them free tuition and gain an education). It probably looks more like the sport from Starship Troopers, but what do you really have to lose other than money?

At this rate, the NFL has shown itself to be a dinosaur run by reactive clowns when in regards to player safety and forward thinking. If you start now and make the tough changes that the NFL refuses to make and you can find a way to make them work, you can beat them to the punch. If there was an alternative league/sport like this, I think you could see a player like Josh Rosen (who seems like a bright individual and isn’t afraid to speak up about systems like the NCAA) to spurn the NFL and join your league. He might make less money in the immediate, but the promise of making money earlier by skipping the NCAA and much better mental and physical health in longevity post-football might be enough.

Just some musings, XFL. 

While I don't disagree that this might be the best long-term idea, there is absolutely no way, given his targeted audience (football fans that are apparently disenchanted with criminals and anthem kneelers) that this is what Vince McMahon has in mind for his football league.

I'm still in the "this never plays a down" camp. Vince will see in about 12 months that there's no way this will make any money, and he'll pull the plug.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

24 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

While I don't disagree that this might be the best long-term idea, there is absolutely no way, given his targeted audience (football fans that are apparently disenchanted with criminals and anthem kneelers) that this is what Vince McMahon has in mind for his football league.

I'm still in the "this never plays a down" camp. Vince will see in about 12 months that there's no way this will make any money, and he'll pull the plug.

Oh, of course not. Vince McMahon’s ambition is to make this NFL-Lite. The Pepsi to the NFL’s Coke.

I will say, I think this time around, Vince will do a much better job of running this as a real professional league and not his own personal playpen. I think he knows he was handed a golden opportunity that he fumbled away, partly due to his own hubris. I think we see that in this announcement, this time giving himself a full two years to develop league and franchise infrastructures, rather than one.

I guess revisiting my initial point, I think Average Football Fan is in the exact opposite place as they were 20 years ago. Back then, bigger hits/rougher/alpha-male football appeals to AFF’s sensibilities. But now, that viewpoint/market has largely faded away as AFF is beginning to see the taxing cost of playing pro football on players and has begun to shift towards a safer game. If the XFL simply repackages the same approach this time around, it will fail and quickly.

Time to get a little morbid...

If Vince dies between now and January of 2020, do you think the rest of the McMahon family would care enough about XFL 2.0 to proceed debuting the league without him?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

15 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Time to get a little morbid...

If Vince dies between now and January of 2020, do you think the rest of the McMahon family would care enough about XFL 2.0 to proceed debuting the league without him?

If he places Alpha whatever its name is placed in a trust, whomever is named the trustee, which doesn't have to be a family member, will make that choice.

Otherwise, it would go through probate, because the company would be part of his estate, unless he names a beneficiary, which is unlikely for tax purposes.

When the original XFL came out, it was almost universally reviled by anyone not a WWE fan. It kind of feels like a different sentiment this time around; a lot of people are laughing it off, but there also seems to be a more legitimate curiosity on how it will actually go.

Maybe it's because everyone needs Content now, but I'm surprised the reaction hasn't been more negative.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived