XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If they are smart you play your games in the soccer stadiums. There's no way they're going to fill a 80-40,000 seat stadium.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

59 minutes ago, kimball said:

If they are smart you play your games in the soccer stadiums. There's no way they're going to fill a 80-40,000 seat stadium.

I don't live in Detroit, but Ford Field may be the only option for Detroit XFL.

29 minutes ago, Wings said:

Rumors are flying around that these are the 8 cities:

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles 

New York

St. Louis

Seattle

Tampa

Washington, D.C.

Outside of St. Louis, both spring leagues completely avoid the Midwest.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles 

New York

St. Louis

Seattle

Tampa

Washington, D.C.

That is stupid.  They will get 0% of the coverage in an oversaturated sports market.  There's a reason that Dallas has never been a market for alternate outdoor football leagues since the AFL.  Yes, it'll be the Cowboys off-season, but even then Dallas XFL will be overshadowed by the Rangers, Mavericks and Stars.  The local coverage goes in this order: Cowboys, High School Football, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, College Sports, the occasional story about a local athlete who does good, Other High school sports, other college sports, other sports like when there's a NASCAR event or the rodeo, FC Dallas and Dallas Wings, 

11 hours ago, Wings said:

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles 

New York

St. Louis

Seattle

Tampa

Washington, D.C.

That's a very disappointing list. As others have already mentioned I would have liked to see teams go to the non "obvious" locations. Especially cities that have lost franchises to relocation (not necessarily football) Hartford, San Diego, etc. 

What months is this league playing?  If it's Feb-March, then I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to go to the games in some of these cities.  There's no way in hell I'm going to an outdoor sporting event in last year's February/March weather.  If it's April-May, then it might work, but it can't go past Memorial Day because that's shore season for a lot of folks (at least east coast) and nobody is giving up a summer weekend to stay home and watch minor-league football.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So the rumor is that XFL Dallas will play at Globe Life Park.....which makes this even stupider and makes no sense when you have the Cotton Bowl, SMU, TCU, North Texas and Toyota Stadium in Frisco. 

Au contraire, the rumor makes a lot of sense. The Texas Rangers will have vacated Globe Life Park for the new retractable roof Globe Life Field by the start of the 2020 season. Though the Cotton Bowl, SMU's Gerald J. Ford Stadium, TCU's Amon G. Carter Stadium, North Texas' Apogee Stadium, or even Toyota Stadium would've been an even better fit.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I really think it is a bad idea to go to cities that have all 3 spring leagues (4 with MLS) to compete with.  How will the XFL team in NYC ever get any media play?  Or LA? Or Dallas?  etc.

In my mind it makes more sense to go to cities that lack at least 1, maybe 2 of the spring sports.

But, they have picked the cities.  So now we wait for names/identities.

1 hour ago, JH42XCC said:

Au contraire, the rumor makes a lot of sense. The Texas Rangers will have vacated Globe Life Park for the new retractable roof Globe Life Field by the start of the 2020 season. Though the Cotton Bowl, SMU's Gerald J. Ford Stadium, TCU's Amon G. Carter Stadium, North Texas' Apogee Stadium, or even Toyota Stadium would've been an even better fit.

Won't Globe Life be turned into a parking lot for AT&T Stadium?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, JH42XCC said:

Still, there is a reason that no alternate pro football leagues since the AFL have been to Dallas. When Lamar Hunt founded the Texans, them and the Cowboys were the first pro sports teams in the area. Since then, there have been the Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas and Dallas Wings.  Nobody is going to pay attention to Dallas XFL and it's going to be a major disaster. 

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Won't Globe Life be turned into a parking lot for AT&T Stadium?

I think i heard it will be converted to an amphitheatre of some kind.  but when the league is set to play it might be that time between baseball season and no tenants will actually be there.

LA over San Diego? 

St. Louis makes sense, but I feel like not picking San Diego is a missed opportunity to challenge the Fleet (AAF) straight on and make their mark.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

21 minutes ago, nash61 said:

LA over San Diego? 

St. Louis makes sense, but I feel like not picking San Diego is a missed opportunity to challenge the Fleet (AAF) straight on and make their mark.

The three year lease which the AAF signed with the city likely blocked out the XFL and Petco Park really doesn't want football as they were weary of SDSU playing there until the finally consented in 2016, but an extension at Qualcomm was reached later.

Archived