XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought St. Louis was planning on tearing down the Dome and replacing it with more, well, conventional convention space, though I also read at one point that the Ferguson riots borked their entire convention industry for years to come, to which I say welcome to Chicago's world. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

I thought St. Louis was planning on tearing down the Dome and replacing it with more, well, conventional convention space, though I also read at one point that the Ferguson riots borked their entire convention industry for years to come, to which I say welcome to Chicago's world. 

Probably add San Francisco to the list with you know the city smelling like <MOD EDIT>. 

On 12/5/2018 at 6:11 PM, dfwabel said:

Incorrect. During the press conference today, Vince gave February 8-9, 2020 as the start of the season.  They're playing alongside AAF, if AAF lives to a season two.

My mistake.  I did not catch the announcement.  That is a pretty major change from what they had said earlier.  Good luck getting DC and NY fans to sit in outdoor stadiums to watch no-name players in February.  At least the AAF accounted for weather.  

36 minutes ago, WideRight said:

My mistake.  I did not catch the announcement.  That is a pretty major change from what they had said earlier.  Good luck getting DC and NY fans to sit in outdoor stadiums to watch no-name players in February.  At least the AAF accounted for weather.  

Yeah, NY, DC and Seattle are going to be hard sells in February and March. Then again Salt Lake City isn't going to be a great sell in Feburary or March either for the AAF. But on the whole at least 7 of the 8 AAF cities are in the sunbelt, southwest or west where the XFL's got one of its "marquee" cities playing in NY. 

As an aside, they have quite a slew of different rules from NFL and NCAA even...

• Fair catches will not be recognized, and the kicking team must give the returner five yards of space to recover and return the ball. (This rule is a carryover from the original XFL and is also in use in the CFL)
  • The PAT will be replaced with a scrimmage play, varying in distance depending on how far the touchdown-scoring team chooses to take the snap from the goal line: a two-yard attempt would score a single point, a five-yard attempt 2 pts, and a fifteen-yard attempt three points. (This rule is also a carryover from the original XFL)
  • Kickoffs will be attempted with teams separated by only five yards, with the two teams not allowed to cross the neutral zone until the returning team touches the ball.
  • All players behind the line will be eligible receivers, including those on the o-line (eliminating the "illegal touching of a forward pass" penalty at other levels of the game). Offensive linemen would still be prohibited from advancing downfield before a forward pass that crosses the line of scrimmage is in the air.
  • The league is testing the wider one-yard neutral zone used by the CFL.
  • A proposed rule would require offensive linemen (excluding the snapper) to not put their hand on the ground, outlawing the 3 pt stance used at all other levels of the game.
  • Outside of the final two minutes the clock will run continuously. (This rule has long been a part of arena football)
  • The play clock will be substantially shorter, with a proposed length of between 25 and 30 seconds.
  • A specialized ref will be added to the officiating team to speed up the placement of the ball.

The 3 pt stance ban is particularly odd. I don't get the logic behind it. All in all the XFL has quite a few rule changes compared to not only the NFL and NCAA but also its competitors in the AAF whose only big changes were the PAT elimination and removing kickoffs for safety reasons. 

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Yeah, NY, DC and Seattle are going to be hard sells in February and March. Then again Salt Lake City isn't going to be a great sell in Feburary or March either for the AAF. But on the whole at least 7 of the 8 AAF cities are in the sunbelt, southwest or west where the XFL's got one of its "marquee" cities playing in NY.  

People come out to Sounders matches in March. It's not really the end of the world here; just damp.

I think the weather is less of an issue than the product. Perhaps the Seattle Death Birds or whatever pick up a bunch of former Huskies and Cougars and Seahawks; that might help. But this city already has bigtime NCAA and NFL football. And NHL hockey on the way. And our beloved Sounders. We might be full.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Actually, much like the Front Range of Colorado the weather in the Salt Lake area can be pretty nice during that time of year. Yes you can get a ton of snow, but more often than not it's chilling and the sun is shining...when the sun is out it's quite pleasant.

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This helps keep the head out of every clash of the offensive and defensive lines.  I am pleasantly surprised to read that the XFL is considering such a rule.

I like the way the CFL does it with the defensive line being a yard off of the ball, definitely lessens some of those collisions for the guys in the trenches.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Either way, anything that reduces contact on the line is a very good thing. 

I’m actually kind of shocked the XFL is considering that, considering how McMahon moaned and whinged about the wussification of the NFL in his first attempt of a league. 

He also had to deal with guys getting injured on the "coin toss" opening chase. As fun as it was to watch them fight for the ball I hope it stays in the past. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/5/2018 at 11:30 AM, GDAWG said:

Dallas XFL just announced....and nobody in DFW will care.  The local media will either laugh at this announcement or ignore it. 

I’ve actually heard a lot about it, it was on the news and on the radio. It was more of a “yay! Globe Life Park will be used” and not a “yay! a new football team” though.

Excellent!

5 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I’ve actually heard a lot about it, it was on the news and on the radio. It was more of a “yay! Globe Life Park will be used” and not a “yay! a new football team” though.

That is what I got from it, which is surprising, as I thought they were going to turn it into a parking lot.  However, keeping Globe Life Park around as a football venue will increase speculation that the venue could end up being the home of UT-Arlington Football if it comes back. 

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

That is what I got from it, which is surprising, as I thought they were going to turn it into a parking lot.  However, keeping Globe Life Park around as a football venue will increase speculation that the venue could end up being the home of UT-Arlington Football if it comes back. 

They were always going to keep the facade of the stadium since the concourse is so damn big. Cordish, the real estate company who operates the office building, Texas Live! and also the Ballpark Village in STL, had told tenants back in 2016 the tower wasn't going to be razed.

36 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I know that the rules are different, but in five years, the go-to non-NFL outdoor league will remain the CFL.  The XFL, AAF, FFL and APL will all eliminate each other while the CFL moves along doing what it has been doing for 110 years, but with the possible addition of the Atlantic Schooners.  The rules may be different, but the four new spring leagues will be competing with the CFL for American talent. 

CFL CBA expires May 15, 2019 and over 62% of all team rosters are currently without contracts.

We'll see how it goes.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

I mean UTA has a good enough stadium already, they’re just not using it. Our high school played its playoff game there last year...

Excellent!

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I mean UTA has a good enough stadium already, they’re just not using it. Our high school played its playoff game there last year...

Not good enough if they want to jump into FBS with the rest of the Sun Belt though.

Archived