XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

49 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I was driving outside of Portland, OR last week and saw a car with a NY/NJ Hitmen sticker in the rear windshield. I'm a safe driver so I didn't take a photo.

I have an official, never worn, Hitmen jersey.  The things you find when your mom worked for Champion during the initial run! 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I was driving outside of Portland, OR last week and saw a car with a NY/NJ Hitmen sticker in the rear windshield. I'm a safe driver so I didn't take a photo.

Hebron High School in Dallas uses the Hitmen logo. 

On 1/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, Needschat said:

I have an official, never worn, Hitmen jersey.  The things you find when your mom worked for Champion during the initial run! 

Same for me but it's a pair of San Francisco Demons jerseys. One is unworn, the other is part of one of my annual Halloween Costumes where I dress up as a Demon Zombie football player. Seemed fitting for the XFL, especially after they announced it was coming back. 

And Vince may have just killed off the PacPro League....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/oliver-luck-xfl-will-consider-taking-players-before-eligible-for-the-nfl-draft/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/xfl-reiterates-that-its-not-restricted-by-other-leagues-rules/

On Tuesday, an XFL spokesperson told PFT that, while “[t]he XFL’s player eligibility guidelines are in development,” the XFL is not restricted by the rules that exist in other professional football leagues.”

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

They're gunning for Trevor Lawrence. Very slim (probably none tbh) chance of it working, but crazier stuff has happened. Or, they could snag some of the talent that would normally be UDFAs after the NFL Draft. Would actually be a better product than the original XFL.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:00 AM, dfwabel said:

Even St. Louis sports fans aren't such credulous rubes that they'll pack the Dome for spring-league football just to stick it to the NFL. There's no way the XFL makes $100,000 on a game there. That dome should be torn down anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

29 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Even St. Louis sports fans aren't such credulous rubes that they'll pack the Dome for spring-league football just to stick it to the NFL. There's no way the XFL makes $100,000 on a game there. That dome should be torn down anyway.

I've been to two venues for NFL games, and that dome was easily the worst. Which is embarrassing since the other stadium I saw a game at was the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

EDIT: I've been to three. Not sure why I keep forgetting that time I saw Colt McCoy vs. Kellen Moore at Jerry World. Still, Liberty Bowl>St. Louis Dome.

18 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I've been to two venues for NFL games, and that dome was easily the worst. Which is embarrassing since the other stadium I saw a game at was the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

EDIT: I've been to three. Not sure why I keep forgetting that time I saw Colt McCoy vs. Kellen Moore at Jerry World. Still, Liberty Bowl>St. Louis Dome.

What is so bad about the St Louis Dome? I always hear how bad it was... but how bad can a 1995 vintage stadium be? I mean I'm still shocked it's been abandoned and the Georgia Dome destroyed when there are teams still waiting on opening new venues in the same generation of stadium construction (like the Raiders). 

St. Louis signed a contract guaranteeing that they would keep the Dome in the top certain percent of NFL stadiums according to an established set of metrics, everything from leg room per seat to square footage of merchandising and beyond.  If they weren’t able to do that with the Dome, the city was obligated to build a new stadium that would meet the agreed-upon criteria.

That’s why the Rams were able to break the lease and move; St. Louis was unable to do the former and unwilling to do the latter.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

What is so bad about the St Louis Dome? I always hear how bad it was... but how bad can a 1995 vintage stadium be? I mean I'm still shocked it's been abandoned and the Georgia Dome destroyed when there are teams still waiting on opening new venues in the same generation of stadium construction (like the Raiders). 

A huge issue was it is poorly light, like Trop Field poor.  It seemed so dark in there.  I was only on the lower level and the club level in my visits there, but the seating bowl was a dark and drab as well lit the concourses were.

The St. Louis dome is depressing and drab and was even worse in person than it was on TV. I wonder if we'll ever see any more stadiums being built by cities to try and get an NFL team to move there. I'm sure we'll see more arenas built with the idea of luring the NBA or NHL, but those are cheaper, smaller, and hold more events without a home team than a football stadium.

17 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The St. Louis dome is depressing and drab and was even worse in person than it was on TV. I wonder if we'll ever see any more stadiums being built by cities to try and get an NFL team to move there. I'm sure we'll see more arenas built with the idea of luring the NBA or NHL, but those are cheaper, smaller, and hold more events without a home team than a football stadium.

Nope, the era of the on spec football stadium I'd say is very much over. You won't see any more Edward Jones Domes or Alamodomes being built without the promise of a team either moving or expanding into said venue on completion. 

19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

A huge issue was it is poorly light, like Trop Field poor.  It seemed so dark in there.  I was only on the lower level and the club level in my visits there, but the seating bowl was a dark and drab as well lit the concourses were.

If anything the Trop is brighter because the roof is translucent.  The roof in St Louis Dome was solid and not translucent at all.  It made for a very cave like structure.  

Everyone has said that the dome in St Louis was dark... it's such a shame that they never had a proper lighting designer come in and fix it up. It's relatively low-cost, but it makes such a huge impact.

There is no way Los Angeles is going to work, the people there have so many other options to spend their entertainment dollar it's insane. When the XFL starts, people are watching the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Ducks, and if the Rams win the Super Bowl then what makes you think people are gonna care about minor league football, man the XFL must be desperate for a TV contract. 

Drive for five..... Shots to my head

With the Seats burning at Citi ahead

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Everyone has said that the dome in St Louis was dark... it's such a shame that they never had a proper lighting designer come in and fix it up. It's relatively low-cost, but it makes such a huge impact.

The CVC proposed by improved lighting in the counterproposal the Rams. Note that the Rams asked for a retractable roof.

4 hours ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

There is no way Los Angeles is going to work, the people there have so many other options to spend their entertainment dollar it's insane. When the XFL starts, people are watching the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Ducks, and if the Rams win the Super Bowl then what makes you think people are gonna care about minor league football, man the XFL must be desperate for a TV contract. 

I mean you can make the same argument for Seattle, DC, New York, Dallas, Houston, Tampa too. Which IMO is the XFL's biggest weakness. They put their teams in cities that already have far superior football to be watching, not to mention a plethora of other top level sports (D1 pro or D1 college).

Seattle has the Seahawks, Huskies, Sounders, Mariners, and the new NHL team;

Dallas has the Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs, FC Dallas and TCU;

Houston has the Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo;

DC has the Redskins, Terrapins, Nats, Caps, Wizards, DC United;

Tampa has the Bucs, Rays, Lightning;

and New York of course has the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Red Bulls, NYCFC, and Rutgers... 

St. Louis while not having an NFL team, does have the Cards and Blues. But in general was a good pick, in part due to the Rams vacuum. 

But on the whole, the XFL purposely put their teams in cities where there is a ton of other competition both in general and in football. All for a league that is going to live and die by its gate, not TV viewership. 

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I mean you can make the same argument for Seattle, DC, New York, Dallas, Houston, Tampa too. Which IMO is the XFL's biggest weakness. They put their teams in cities that already have far superior football to be watching, not to mention a plethora of other top level sports (D1 pro or D1 college).

Seattle has the Seahawks, Huskies, Sounders, Mariners, and the new NHL team;

Dallas has the Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs, FC Dallas and TCU;

Houston has the Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo;

DC has the Redskins, Terrapins, Nats, Caps, Wizards, DC United;

Tampa has the Bucs, Rays, Lightning;

and New York of course has the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Red Bulls, NYCFC, and Rutgers... 

St. Louis while not having an NFL team, does have the Cards and Blues. But in general was a good pick, in part due to the Rams vacuum. 

But on the whole, the XFL purposely put their teams in cities where there is a ton of other competition both in general and in football. All for a league that is going to live and die by its gate, not TV viewership. 

FC Dallas gets very little and if they do it's game highlights and that's it.  It's the Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, College Sports, High School sports, individuals from the area either in the big 4 or even other sports (ie golfer Jordan Speith) and then FC Dallas.  The Dallas Wings of the WNBA get no coverage and an example of this was when they hired their new coach.  The local news did not mention the hiring of a new coach for the Wings.  All they mentioned that day were Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars. 

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The CVC proposed by improved lighting in the counterproposal the Rams. Note that the Rams asked for a retractable roof.

The CVC offered that in lieu of actually meeting their contractual obligations.  The Rams were right to tell them to take a leap. 

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

FC Dallas gets very little and if they do it's game highlights and that's it.  It's the Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, College Sports, High School sports, individuals from the area either in the big 4 or even other sports (ie golfer Jordan Speith) and then FC Dallas.  The Dallas Wings of the WNBA get no coverage and an example of this was when they hired their new coach.  The local news did not mention the hiring of a new coach for the Wings.  All they mentioned that day were Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars. 

The way FC Dallas is getting treated makes you think how XFL Dallas is even supposed to survive. 

Drive for five..... Shots to my head

With the Seats burning at Citi ahead

Archived