XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some time on my hands so I came up with this idea for the XFL. 10 teams 5 East 5 West. Teams play 8 games. NO TIES. Top 2 teams in each conference (East, West) play in a “divisional championship”. Then the XFL’s Championship. No dumb names like Maniax (seriously, what the f***??) or Hitmen or Rage. Smaller stadiums in cities that have good audiences for football but no team.

East

New York/New Jersey (Red Bull Arena: 25,200)

Orlando (Orlando City Stadium: 25,500)

Columbus, OH (Mapfre Stadium: 20,000)

Raleigh, NC (Carter Finley Stadium: 57,000)

Norfolk, VA (Dick Price Stadium: 30,000)

West

San Antonio (Alamo Stadium: 18,500)

Fargo, ND (Fargodome: 19,000)

Salt Lake City (Rio Tinto Stadium: 21,000)

San Jose (Avaya Stadium: 19,000)

Portland (Providence Park: 21,300)

I picked cities with MLS, college football, or even high school stadiums that would allow an XFL team. In the east, I feel like an New York area team would be inevitable. Such a large market. Orlando has a new, small stadium that is very nice. Plus, Disney and nice weather. Vaction spot. Columbus brings in a eastern midwest team. Mapfre Stadium may be empty soon, as the Crew might leave. It isn’t really old and Columbus loves football, as does the state in general. Raleigh is kind of the outlier of the bunch. They play in Carter Finley, the largest XFL stadium by a mile. It also is a Power 5 football stadium. But it was the only suitable stadium in the area so I went with it. Virginia needed a team, IMO. 

Out west, I picked San

Antonio. It is a large city and brings in TX. Alamodome was too big. I went with Alamo Stadium, a local High School stadium that seats 18,000 or so and was recently renovated. Fargo gets a team. The Fargodome is a nice stadium and sells out for NDSU football. I’m sure fans would support. Brings in the upper midwest. SLC gets a team, as does San Jose, based on size. Such large cities. SJ also brings in the Bay Area. Portland loves sports and has a great soccer/football stadium. 

I was listening to a clip of a Jim Cornette podcast -- maybe even on the topic of the XFL, I dunno, they all run together -- and the host asked him if Vince McMahon ever listens to the people whose job it is to talk him out of his many terrible ideas. Cornette says Vince will listen to and even solicit anyone's advice on anything, but then go ahead and do whatever he had intended on doing in the first place. This feels like another one of those, but with Triple H and Stephanie instead of Cornette and Bruce Prichard. I look forward to Triple H's podcast in 20 years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  $100M is chump change. He’ll need to sink a lot more than that into this venture if he’s serious. 

For comparison...

$100M is ~$75M LESS THAN what a single NFL team has to spend on players talent alone. It is about 1.7% of the total NFL salary cap for all 32 teams.  Try to pick off any talent with that.

1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I had some time on my hands so I came up with this idea for the XFL. 10 teams 5 East 5 West. Teams play 8 games. NO TIES. Top 2 teams in each conference (East, West) play in a “divisional championship”. Then the XFL’s Championship. No dumb names like Maniax (seriously, what the f***??) or Hitmen or Rage. Smaller stadiums in cities that have good audiences for football but no team.

East

West

I picked cities with MLS, college football, or even high school stadiums that would allow an XFL team. In the east, I feel like an New York area team would be inevitable. Such a large market. Orlando has a new, small stadium that is very nice. Plus, Disney and nice weather. Vaction spot. Columbus brings in a eastern midwest team. Mapfre Stadium may be empty soon, as the Crew might leave. It isn’t really old and Columbus loves football, as does the state in general. Raleigh is kind of the outlier of the bunch. They play in Carter Finley, the largest XFL stadium by a mile. It also is a Power 5 football stadium. But it was the only suitable stadium in the area so I went with it. Virginia needed a team, IMO. 

Out west, I picked San

Antonio. It is a large city and brings in TX. Alamodome was too big. I went with Alamo Stadium, a local High School stadium that seats 18,000 or so and was recently renovated. Fargo gets a team. The Fargodome is a nice stadium and sells out for NDSU football. I’m sure fans would support. Brings in the upper midwest. SLC gets a team, as does San Jose, based on size. Such large cities. SJ also brings in the Bay Area. Portland loves sports and has a great soccer/football stadium. 

So six MLS stadium already in use during the spring, huh? OK. Your just handing them over $$$ as they control the lease and concessions.  Also, where will they f'n practice?

HS stadium? Well, there goes $20K/game in alcohol sales as there's no liquor license. But don't fret, that loss will pale in comparison to the lack of parking revenue.

Fargo loves the Bison, not necessarily football or semipro football. Plus, the ND oil bubble is bursting this mess disposable income and a diminishing population.

He'll need bigger stadium simply because the average tix price can be (slightly) lower. In 2001, the average XFL ticket was $25. The average UFL ticket was slightly more. FXFL was more than the UFL.

2 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

East

West

Out west, I picked San

I have heard that the owners of the New York Red Bulls will not allow American Football to be played at Red Bull Arena.

38 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

For comparison...

$100M is ~$75M LESS THAN what a single NFL team has to spend on players talent alone. It is about 1.7% of the total NFL salary cap for all 32 teams.  Try to pick off any talent with that.

So six MLS stadium already in use during the spring, huh? OK. Your just handing them over $$$ as they control the lease and concessions.  Also, where will they f'n practice?

HS stadium? Well, there goes $20K/game in alcohol sales as there's no liquor license. But don't fret, that loss will pale in comparison to the lack of parking revenue.

Fargo loves the Bison, not necessarily football or semipro football. Plus, the ND oil bubble is bursting this mess disposable income and a diminishing population.

He'll need bigger stadium simply because the average tix price can be (slightly) lower. In 2001, the average XFL ticket was $25. The average UFL ticket was slightly more. FXFL was more than the UFL.

Yeah, I know that MLS teams would have to work things out with their XFL counterparts. I could be wrong, but I think Alamo Stadium is owned by the city, not a specific HS. They can regulate things how they want. It is a very large stadium for a HS stadium, so it would work. They could sell alcohol, make parking fees as they please. Fargo was just an idea. Kind of threw them in there because the Fargodome is a great place and it is a good football town college wise. Plus, not many NDSU players go pro. Maybe some play there?? I don’t know, I wanted expansion into the upper midwest. You could put them

in Omaha or Grand Rapids or even St Louis. No way the XFL draws 20k plus in places like San Antonio or Salt Lake City. Or basically anywhere else. 

These are just ideas. 

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I have heard that the owners of the New York Red Bulls will not allow American Football to be played at Red Bull Arena.

Red Bull Arena did permit a PRORugby franchise. PRORugby didn't make to NYC nor past their 2016 season.

They have contracted for one off Aviva Premiership or USA Rugby games.

2 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Yeah, I know that MLS teams would have to work things out with their XFL counterparts. I could be wrong, but I think Alamo Stadium is owned by the city, not a specific HS. They can regulate things how they want. It is a very large stadium for a HS stadium, so it would work. They could sell alcohol, make parking fees as they please. Fargo was just an idea. Kind of threw them in there because the Fargodome is a great place and it is a good football town college wise. Plus, not many NDSU players go pro. Maybe some play there?? I don’t know, I wanted expansion into the upper midwest. You could put them

in Omaha or Grand Rapids or even St Louis. No way the XFL draws 20k plus in places like San Antonio or Salt Lake City. Or basically anywhere else. 

These are just ideas. 

Your idea, like all ideas for alt-football are terrible. Very terrible.

Raleigh had the WLAF Skyhawks,which didn't draw, so they were moved to Columbus to be the Ohio Glory. Guess what?  It failed too, son!

Edit: Where will you (or any person/investor) going to find enough fans to pay $40+/seat for such football to sustain your costs and how long will they actually do it?

This must be a gate driven business and spring football will run up against winter and spring LCD/value market/"white trash" events like Monster Jam, SuperCross and his own WWE.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Your idea, like all ideas for alt-football are terrible. Very terrible.

Raleigh had the WLAF Skyhawks,which didn't draw, so they were moved to Columbus to be the Ohio Glory. Guess what?  It failed too, son!

Edit: Where will you (or any person/investor) going to find enough fans to pay $40+/seat for such football to sustain your costs and how long will they actually do it?

This must be a gate driven business and spring football will run up against winter and spring LCD/value market/"white trash" events like Monster Jam, SuperCross and his own WWE.

I have no idea. Just trying to have a little fun. Maybe I should have just included the cities, not stadiums? Sorry dude, you are overthinking this. Just having some fun.

No idea where to get fans.

37 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I have no idea. Just trying to have a little fun. Maybe I should have just included the cities, not stadiums? Sorry dude, you are overthinking this. Just having some fun.

No idea where to get fans.

This is a thread to discuss the very real possibility that the XFL may be coming back in some form. This isn't really the place to post baseless alignment predictions. It's a bit too early for that, given that we're not even 100% sure the league is happening.

So with that said? We ought to keep this thread focused on news and reasonable speculation regarding Vince McMahon possibly re-entering the pro football game.

If you would like to speculate on what a XFL alignment/stadium setup could look like? I recommend this thread...

I kinda wish instead of making his own league, Vince could just be elected commissioner of the NFL and be the authority figure for that league.  Real sports needs better storylines and characters.  Imagine if one of the stories headed into this weekend was that the Raiders were coming to Philadelphia to get revenge for Doug Pederson setting Jack Del Rio's house on fire and the offensive line running a train on his wife?  This  leads to an angle where his wife fakes a pregnancy and that leads to infighting between the Eagles OL because Brandon Brooks thinks it's his, but Jason Kelce is having none of it and they start fighting right on the field?  Then when all is said and done, with OT Halapoulivaati Vaitai by her side, she delivers a hand.  Just think of those pre-game promos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

This is a thread to discuss the very real possibility that the XFL may be coming back in some form. This isn't really the place to post baseless alignment predictions. It's a bit too early for that, given that we're not even 100% sure the league is happening.

So with that said? We ought to keep this thread focused on news and reasonable speculation regarding Vince McMahon possibly re-entering the pro football game.

If you would like to speculate on what a XFL alignment/stadium setup could look like? I recommend this thread...

31 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

I'm overthinking while you posted on where you place teams?

GTFO.

Sorry guys. I’ll see myself out.

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I kinda wish instead of making his own league, Vince could just be elected commissioner of the NFL and be the authority figure for that league.  Real sports needs better storylines and characters.

The NFL has the storyline made for them every Sunday night when the opening line comes out from Las Vegas.

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

CARSON WENTZ REALLY KNOWS HOW TO STRUT HIS STUFF, WOOOOOW, LOOK AT THAT MASS, THE STRIATION, WENTZ JUST MAY HAVE THE MOST DENSE, MUSCULAR PACKAGE WE'VE SEEN

He got him right in the bread basket!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

He got him right in the bread basket!

or right in the solar plexus.  To this day, the only time I've ever heard that term is when Gorilla Monsoon used it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/19/2017 at 12:26 PM, GDAWG said:

I don't think SAG will allow "pro wrestlers" into their union unless they start doing a few major studio movies or TV.  John Cena, David Batista and Dwayne Johnson fit here.  Not sure if Hulk Hogan or Roddy Piper were ever members of SAG. 

I believe that anyone who will have significant screen time has to get their SAG card to be able to act in said movie or TV series, especially if they are getting paid for it. The other option they have, and this goes mainly for extras is that they have to sign a waiver essentially giving up their rights. I think it even applies to "Reality TV Stars" now as well as that is mainstream entertainment. It's also the norm in the music industry to join ASCAP if you are going to do any significant songwriting to protect your creative process. So yeah Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, even The Miz and Ted Dibiase Jr. all probably have their SAG cards. Which is good for those guys, because it adds another level of health insurance and maybe even increases their pay scale as far as TV appearances go on RAW or SmackDown! LIVE. 

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived