Time to rebrand the Panthers?

guest23

As the shield now gets its own Sterling moment might this be a great opportunity for the new owner to start anew? I mean what value does the brand really have? Seems pretty forgettable IMHO from the halloween black cat replicated a dozen times on the uniform down to the uninspired color scheme that makes the most unique color tertiary. Also they should take down that hideous statue asap. And since when did it become acceptable to make statues of live people anyway???

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21798557/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-selling-nfl-team

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, guest23 said:

As the shield now gets its own Sterling moment might this be a great opportunity for the new owner to start anew? I mean what value does the brand really have? Seems pretty forgettable IMHO from the halloween black cat replicated a dozen times on the uniform down to the uninspired color scheme that makes the most unique color tertiary. Also they should take down that hideous statue asap. And since when did it become acceptable to make statues of live people anyway???

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21798557/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-selling-nfl-team

The other Panthers should rebrand too--both Pitt and Florida.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

I disagree with almost every point you've made. The brand has more value than one that doesn't exist yet, they've been to the super bowl twice. The logo is iconic. The color scheme is beautiful and unique. If they can manage not to make them worse, a uni change might not be bad. They should leave the statue. The guy is the reason that state has a team. He didn't kill anyone. He didn't beat anyone. He didn't rape anyone. He spoke inappropriately with some women, touched one inappropriately, and used a racial slur against a former scout. He shouldn't have his connection to the team he founded erased. 

The Panthers are a rare expansion team who understands that they got it right the first time. All they did was as few tweaks to what I consider a modern classic and I’m completely fine with it. They don’t need a major rebranding. 

XM4KeeA.png

There are statues for Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaq, Michael Jordan, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Jerry West, Pete Rose, Pat Bowlen, and dozens of others that are still alive.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

ED NOTE: Slightly edited but copied and pasted from the NFL 2017 thread, where I brought up this topic.

First of all, this is much closer to Donald Sterling than anything the NFL has seen. An owner selling in disgrace, especially in this climate, is kind of a big deal.

This is big news now, it'll be big news when the sale process begins, and it'll be big news when the team is sold. Richardson's actions will be dredged up over and over and over again as this progresses.

There's not an easier way for the next owner to turn the page than get new uniforms. Besides, these uniforms are 22 years old and there is nothing iconic about their look or their brand, and this won't help.

The Panthers will be getting new uniforms. I'd be stunned if they don't.

That statue probably should go, too.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

The Panthers are a rare expansion team who understands that they got it right the first time. All they did was as few tweaks to what I consider a modern classic and I’m completely fine with it. They don’t need a major rebranding. 

Exactly. The logo was a bit dated, but they fixed it. A few minor tweaks on the uni, or don't even bother. They've got a great distinctive set.

sig.png

5 hours ago, insert name said:

I agree. There's no need for them to go about ruining themselves like the Jaguars have the past decade.

I don't see the need for a full rebrand or many tweaks -- maybe just the striping on the helmets? If that. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 minutes ago, kimball said:

I agree. There's no need for them to go about ruining themselves like the Jaguars have the past decade.

I don't see the need for a full rebrand or many tweaks -- maybe just the striping on the helmets? If that. 

Again, this has nothing to do with the design of the current uniforms.

They won't change the name and the colors are likely safe but the uniforms and maybe the logo could be up for alteration or redesign. Just my two cents.

And, once again, this has nothing to do with aesthetics.

Rebrand? Nope. Uniform design tweaks? Yes. The color balance they use is great, but the design itself is a little dated (the should stripes change based upon the jersey cut and the pants strip feels odd/out of place to me). But there isn't much that needs changing. As people have said, they got a lot right the first time. 

Just now, BJ Sands said:

Again, this has nothing to do with the design of the current uniforms.

So you just want them to change it for change's sake?  This is how we got the monstrosity that was the Clippers' rebrand...

bYhYmxh.png

Archived