Time to rebrand the Panthers?

guest23

I mean, I do have to appreciate that we're just quibbling over small uniform details in the wake of this. "You can tell we don't believe in grabbing boobs anymore because the stripe goes all the way to the back now," it really might be Peak CCSLC

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should probably stick with this look for a while, to avoid it being just "the Richardson look". Look at the Falcons. Their jerseys were going to forever be known as dog electrocution jerseys, but they just switched to red at home and the look survived long enough to be known instead for the most embarrassing Super Bowl loss in history. So there's hope!

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

They should probably stick with this look for a while, to avoid it being just "the Richardson look". Look at the Falcons. Their jerseys were going to forever be known as dog electrocution jerseys, but they just switched to red at home and the look survived long enough to be known instead for the most embarrassing Super Bowl loss in history. So there's hope!

The Falcons switched to red as the primary in 2004, 3 years before the Michael Vick scandal broke.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:39 PM, C-Squared said:

I would love to see this helmet:

leaked-carolina-panthers-new-nike-helmet

...and silver removed from their identity altogether. The light blue pops enough to not need silver muddying up the contrast.

This is pretty much what I think they should do. They currently look like a black and silver team when they should be black and blue. Their logo looks wonderful blended in with a black background, though it shouldn't be as big as Tampa Bay's gigantic helmet logo.

I don’t care for they logo, but the uniforms are classics save for the white pants that need to go. They should wear silver full time, or black - even with white jersey. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/18/2017 at 2:39 PM, C-Squared said:

I would love to see this helmet:

leaked-carolina-panthers-new-nike-helmet

...and silver removed from their identity altogether. The light blue pops enough to not need silver muddying up the contrast.

The silver is completely unnecessary. I would even rather see it replaced with a dark gray, but just black and Carolina blue would be very nice.

Here's some random designs I found googling around just to show what that color scheme could look like:

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:18 PM, guest23 said:

I can smell your bias through my computer screen. I don't think there's a single objective person that would support these claims.The brand has never been top tier and the only thing that gives the franchise any value is Newton. Electric blue is the only redeeming portion of their entire identity. The Panthers brand is the 5th NC best sports brand in the entire state behind M. Jordan, Duke, UNC, and nascar. I also don't understand why you would want to keep a statue of an old man who made his fortune contributing to the obesity epidemic via his terrible restaurants with his most important contribution being writing a 9 figure check to the league offices.

You can smell my bias through your screen? What bias would that be? This isn't an issue of objectivity, our opinions are all subjective. The brand has always been top tier for me, I really like it. The franchise has been to two super bowls, and 3 NFC championship games. The 1st super bowl was way before Newton and the first NFC championship was in the 90's. That's a lot more value than a lot of other NFL teams. We both seem to like the electric blue.The bold and underlined part is your subjective opinion, there isn't anything objective about it.

As far as the statue goes, I don't think what he did is enough to take down the statue, but I understand why you would think the stature has to come down. 

7 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Not perfect, but here's a concept i did a while back, maybe tapered stripes would be a better way to evolve the current uniforms. 

I think the full stripes would be just fine. A blue alternate would work fine with that helmet as well. Well done...that's a "Yes, this could easily be in the NFL" concept.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 12/18/2017 at 3:17 AM, O.C.D said:

I disagree with almost every point you've made. The brand has more value than one that doesn't exist yet, they've been to the super bowl twice. The logo is iconic. The color scheme is beautiful and unique. If they can manage not to make them worse, a uni change might not be bad. They should leave the statue. The guy is the reason that state has a team. He didn't kill anyone. He didn't beat anyone. He didn't rape anyone. He spoke inappropriately with some women, touched one inappropriately, and used a racial slur against a former scout. He shouldn't have his connection to the team he founded erased. 

I don’t know that listing the creepy things he’s done is the best way to defend the statue.

As for the brand, I’ve always thought it was mediocre.  I don’t really like the logo or colors.  That said, I appreciate over 20 years of consistency (kinda like the Rockies blah look) and question the idea of overhauling that.  I’m for tweaking the helmet stripe and maybe a Vikings-level logo tweak unrelated to the ownership issue.  Once the sale is complete, the world wil move on.  But pulling  a Washington Wizards will probably give us more occasion to remember what happened.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I appreciate that the Panthers have kept things more or less the same since debuting, 

I would just go back to the old logo and drop the white pants. The overall identity is great, and I love that a “new” team said “this is our look, we’re not going to tweak it to death.” 

glares at the Jags

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

As for the brand, I’ve always thought it was mediocre.  I don’t really like the logo or colors.  That said, I appreciate over 20 years of consistency (kinda like the Rockies blah look) and question the idea of overhauling that.  I’m for tweaking the helmet stripe and maybe a Vikings-level logo tweak unrelated to the ownership issue.  Once the sale is complete, the world wil move on.  But pulling  a Washington Wizards will probably give us more occasion to remember what happened.

The elements are there for a better brand than they have now, but it's still in the top half. It's a very conservative jersey design with a modern color scheme, which I appreciate (see also: original Sharks), along with that consistency. I think their biggest issue is bumping up against the Raiders and Lions a little bit, and the white-at-home policy not being great for their identity: three uniform sets and they don't like wearing two of them very much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, daveindc said:

See the source image

Good Lord, man...I haven't looked at this in YEARS! Bringing back memories up in here...

(2011...man where has the time gone???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

18 hours ago, O.C.D said:

You can smell my bias through your screen? What bias would that be? This isn't an issue of objectivity, our opinions are all subjective. The brand has always been top tier for me, I really like it. The franchise has been to two super bowls, and 3 NFC championship games. The 1st super bowl was way before Newton and the first NFC championship was in the 90's. That's a lot more value than a lot of other NFL teams. We both seem to like the electric blue.The bold and underlined part is your subjective opinion, there isn't anything objective about it.

As far as the statue goes, I don't think what he did is enough to take down the statue, but I understand why you would think the stature has to come down. 

OK we can agree  on electric blue but the statue is coming down. Why not a metallic blue helmet already??? There's a good chance he'll see his self-erected statue torn down before he dies which is very banana republican to say the least.

Archived