Pulv! Logolympiad entries

Pulv!

Now that this amazing event has ended I'd like to have some feedback on my entries.

I know that sometimes without background info it is difficult to pickup the meaning of a logo, but here the true skill of a designer is. I feel like this year I had a shortage of it. My logos were never on medal spots but it was still a great excitement to compete in this event.

Feel superfree to comment on every entry!

Event 1

We had to design a logo for the brand new Professional Football League of american football. I went with orange and green for my color scheme as I felt like blue, red and white are overused in this sport and, although the  sport is "american Football", the PFF could also be based in Canada or anywhere else.

27362811929_c851dc08dd_o.png

Event 2

In this event we had to design a uniform and primary logo for a possible new NBA franchise. I chose Seattle as I really think they have a major chance of getting a team in the nearby future and for the amazing supporters culture they have. I went with traditional Seattle colors of green and blue but trying to differentiate from the other city teams with a streak of powder blue. Tritons sounded nice to me as Seattle is a city deeply linked to the sea but going to something like orcas, whales or seabirds could put them too close to the Seahawks and Vancouver Canucks.

27362807059_a591268415_o.png

Event 3

We had to create an alternate uniform for a team from the Pacifc league of Baseball using some of their current logos. Now, this was a difficult task as the team in the league have rather dull or too over the top logos. I know minor league teams usually sport really wierd uniforms but I really felt uncomfortable with some of the league teams identities. An angry chihuahua, really?

At first I was going design a jersey for the Rainers but then I realized that their nice and serious identity was not good for the contest as the result would be not really "minor league". So in the end I decided to go with the Sky Sox as their identity was the one I liked the most. I designed a quite simple uniform, based on the gradient between ice blue and navy. I found this meaningful as frequently the mountains melt into the sky in a line which is not clear cut but more like a gradient.

27362806929_0c339b9afd_o.png

Event 4

We had to design a wordmark for a fictional team with a new logo matching the colors and choosing a name related to the logo (a lion) like Pride, Lions, Royals and so on. Not a lot to say about this other than I chose the south african city of Pretoria as colors and name suited perfectly the city. They should consider it for a rugby team.

27362811889_b765cd966d_o.png

Event 5

The event consisted in designing a logo for a canadian dodgeball event to be held in Ottawa. As I knew every one was going to add the parliament house tower to a dodgeball of some sort (and I turned out to be right) I decided to try making my logo a little more unique by designing it very stylized. As it didn't recieve a lot of votes maybe it was not a good idea.

27362811819_5d18f6cb48_o.png

Event 6

In this year crossover event we had to design a soccer kit for a NBL Canada basketball team. I really like Halifax Hurricanes old logo so I instantly decided to go with the team. I added a soccer ball in the hurricane eye to make it look more like a soccer crest.

39141119981_05bbf8b376_o.png

Event 7

For this event we had to draw a new secondary logo for a team of the Federal Hockey League of the present or of the past. As I really like pirates, buccaneers, privateers and so on I decided to make a new logo for the Watertown Privateers. I know that privateers are not usually associated as pirates with the jolly roger but I really liked the idea.

27362811669_f848f00f54_o.png

Event 8

For this year's company logo event we had to design a logo for a company called Smart Sportswear producing athletic equipment with smart vital signs reading features.

Of course I instantly thought about an heatbeat line so I added it to a bold font logo.

27362811519_4960fd9cc3_o.png

Event 9

For this event we had to submit a colored uniform for one of the defunct american CFL franchises as it was a brand new team. I liked the barracudas identity even though Birmingham is not by the sea so barracudas are pretty had to find there if not frozen and ready to be cooked. A Barracuda team needs some colors that can make the fish pop up but also paint it in some close to real colors. You would of course never think of pink and green if you are speaking about the Sharks. That is why I opted for Charcoal gray, Aqua blue and red. The sign on the helmet is the fish fin.

27362811439_e56f0801df_o.png

Event 10

For the anniversary logo this year we all had to design a logo for the tenth edition of the Logolympiad. As this event is linked with the actual Olympic Games, whose intenationally recognized symbol is the olympic flame, I decided to have in my logo an olympic torch with the blaze of the Logolympiad logo and an X to represent the tenth edition. The torch should resemble also a brush.

This was the worst recieved entry as I didn't get any vote, also if I'm personally pretty happy of it. Maybe it was too conceptual...

39141127921_bd54d533b0_o.png

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Any C&C?

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

A couple of things that jump out to me - on your logos (Barracudas & Privateers) some of the line weights are a little thin. I think the Barracuda could lose a little detail too.

The big blue space beneath the P in Pride makes the logo look unbalanced, I think that needs to be reworked somehow.

My favourites here are the Tritons ball logo and the PFF (I'm not sold on the colours yet but the shapes are great)

I have C&C for all of them, but I have limited time at the moment. I will say that, had you removed the flag on #7 and just used the skull, sword, and hockey stick, it would have been one of my medal contenders. It was very slick, but the flag took away from its flexibility in applications. If you can fit the logo neatly in a square or circle, that is ideal, and without the flag, you can do that.

rATMcmK.png

Thanks for the comment

I'm going to jump around a bit, I think.

The Pretoria Pride wordmark is pretty strong--that was a particularly competitive event. The only issue I have with it is that the P and E are soo big, to the point that it looks like P rid E. If those two letters had been just a little smaller, it would have been one of my medal contenders.

The challenge with the Smart Sportswear branding is that, while it looks great in color and at a large scale, it looks pretty cluttered in black-and-white, especially at a small scale. The challenge with athletic-wear branding is that the logos are often used in very small applications, like on a uniform, so they need to be recognizable when shrunk way down.

rATMcmK.png

Archived