Quirkiest Jersey Elements

Bruins

Speaking of the Capitals' pants..

washington-capitals-white-pants.jpg

At least the only other time that it's been done in the league was with white socks and mostly-white jerseys, so they looked slightly less out-of-place

la-sp-kings-sharks-20150222

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Glenelg Tigers of the SANFL have their main sponsors name running diagonally up the yellow sash on the front of their jersey. AFAIK, no other top level Australian rules football team with a sash in their uniform has the sponsors name running diagonally across the jersey,

2017guernsey02.jpg

On 12/19/2017 at 12:08 PM, CRichardson said:

The Islanders' fisherman jerseys were one of the only examples of a uniform in top-level pro sports with an asymmetrical name and number on the back.

armstrong_derek.jpg

Sorta off-topic...but does anyone, anywhere, happen to know the base font from which these glyphs were fashioned? The Milwaukee Brewers also (appeared to have) used this same base font during their "Motre Bame" years...

3108_milwaukee_brewers-road-1994.png

GettyImages-343921.0.jpg

98678b_lg.jpeg

(Bonus quirk: check out the "4" from this set...I always liked that oddity.)

I've been searching for years for the base font for these to no avail.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

roman_gabriel_1968_10_27.jpg

080714-vault.jpg

During the 1960s, the Rams and 49ers had TV numbers so honkin' huge, they could be seen from outer space. On the other side of things.....

1956Philadelphia+F.PNG

Some of the white jerseys the Eagles wore when they introduced TV numbers (which was also around the time many of the NFL teams were introducing them), had very minuscule-sized TV numbers on the shoulder.

UBwef0L.png

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Sleeve stripes are opposite of hem stripes.  I'd like to see an alternate with black and red base on this jersey.

vintage-new-jersey-devils-jersey-white-1

I like some teams to have stripes like this. Being beaten over the head with the exact same striping pattern five times (hem, two socks, and two sleeves) can be too much sometimes. It works if there's some rhythm to it... this jersey and the Sabres' original jerseys worked, but the Sharks' one random orange stripe in their pattern bugs me.

12 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I like some teams to have stripes like this. Being beaten over the head with the exact same striping pattern five times (hem, two socks, and two sleeves) can be too much sometimes. It works if there's some rhythm to it... this jersey and the Sabres' original jerseys worked, but the Sharks' one random orange stripe in their pattern bugs me.

Some old time Bruins teams had the reversed striping

latest?cb=20101111113652

And that strange yoke shape. I believe the Sharks' contemporary alternate was the only other jersey to use it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I liked the White Sox' collars.

Ni6QpoN.jpg

But I wish the collar had gone all around the shirt, as it did on the early-century shirt to which this jersey was paying homage.

TZrLCys.jpg   WyNJh1p.jpg

The faux collar looked particularly bad on the white jersey, which was otherwise a beautiful shirt.

oKn7Zva.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 12/23/2017 at 12:17 AM, Discrimihater said:

Can't believe I forgot about the Caps...should've mentioned the Canucks' pants from the flying V era as well.

7790cf4784eb7bd37d2b27804725adfa.jpg1069343.jpg

It astounds me that everything was heat-pressed onto the first several years of the Flying V jerseys, including the giant V over the chest and shoulders. Wouldn't that bunch things up and make the jersey uncomfortable?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived