Outlandish yet restrained designs

Bob5151

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/24/2017 at 12:14 AM, Discrimihater said:

Among this vein...West Point's camo specials.  The only truly unusual thing about these unis was all the camouflage. 

USATSI_7542173-620x635.jpg army-11-camo-frankdibrango-vert-620x885.

On a similar note, their current uniform, or at least the one they wore the other day, has a small player name on the chest rather than a large one on the back; fitting for a military academy team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 4:12 PM, Bob5151 said:

Some of my favorite uniforms are ones that push boundaries, but don't go overboard and know how to keep things restrained when they have to. Whether it's an unusual color or striping pattern, you can still identify it as a professional team uniform. For example:

Baseball: The original Devil Rays uniforms used a gradient, but were otherwise a fairly traditional set.

84846a_lg.jpeg

So I'm going to call out the original post here - there's no way that can be called an "otherwise traditional set".  In the modern (or any) era of baseball, there hasn't bee one other "stacked" team name, let alone the gradient, let alone the mascot that underlines the whole thing.  The damned wordmark takes up the entire front of the jersey!  They coudln't even put numbers on it if they wanted to.

The sleeve piping, arm patch, and pants may have been traditional, and I guess the cap (though the gradient counts more against tradition to me than maybe it does to others) but the combination of the gradient with the other factors I just mentioned rule this uniform out of contention for this discussion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So I'm going to call out the original post here - there's no way that can be called an "otherwise traditional set".  In the modern (or any) era of baseball, there hasn't bee one other "stacked" team name, let alone the gradient, let alone the mascot that underlines the whole thing.  The damned wordmark takes up the entire front of the jersey!  They coudln't even put numbers on it if they wanted to.

The sleeve piping, arm patch, and pants may have been traditional, and I guess the cap (though the gradient counts more against tradition to me than maybe it does to others) but the combination of the gradient with the other factors I just mentioned rule this uniform out of contention for this discussion.

Randy Johnson's Diamondbacks would like a word with you..

On 12/24/2017 at 5:46 PM, M4One said:

Long time fan of the Canucks, but I honestly never realized the back of the hem was curved like that until a couple of years ago.  It's such a weird decision.

There were a few uniforms like that around that time.  The Preds mustard alt was and maybe a few others.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

True -- from the front.

From the back, there was nothing timeless or classic about this uniform.  Seen from that angle, it was pure too-modern-for-its-own-good garbage.

Related image

I'd argue it's the best the Diamondbacks ever looked from any angle

19 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Randy Johnson's Diamondbacks would like a word with you..

Ha I was actually thinking of that one and just didn’t mention it. 

It was terrible and theres a reason they abandoned it. Because it was terrible. That was the reason. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

Unconventional colors, but a timeless design.

363019.jpg

Thats a fantastic uniform. Those aren’t easy colors to make a classic set out of, but they did just that. I don’t love the back number or nob font, but I can live with that considering the awesomeness of the front. 

Remind me - was it cream or white? I hope cream. 

Archived