RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2530 Postseason. Did the Canyons finally win it all!? Or did the Astronauts grow their legacy?

You could maybe argue for a team like Kraken or Leviathans for Europa as well

For Europa: Narwhals, Dolphins, Anglers

Cubs for Callisto works pretty well

10 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I honestly like something like humpbacks more than seals, and correct me if I’m wrong, Europa is similar to let’s say Washington and Oregon; mountainous, cool, rainy. Where there’d be a similar environment for whales today. We could either assume since the environment is so similar, they barely adapted, and look very similar. They’d probably couldn’t just be called Europa Humpack, or whatever whale you wanted.

Or we could make it interesting. Since the water probably has different food, they could’ve adapted or genetically modified. To better suit the ecosystem, and food cycle. Depends on how much you want it to change, it could be a carnivore. Think killer whale. Or something entirely new and interesting. Something Europa is known for.

oh and I say genetically modified because 5 hundred years is not close to enough time for drastic changes to occur. Although it is changing of planets, something never done before, ya never know what could happen. If we’re looking at it realistically. 

I probably may have made a small mistake of making Europa a little too absolute in terms of its two main different environment (tropical beaches and snowy mountains). To make thing easier, there'd be several places that's in-between them, like the Pacific Northwest. The closet city comparison I could think of for Europa City is probably San Francisco, where you could drive couple hours north/east to the snowy mountains (Yosemite Valley), and couple hours south to the tropical regions (Los Angeles). 

I would imagine that when humans colonized Europa, they brought several types of whales (and all kinds of animals) that has been genetically modified, while maintaining its appearance, to be able to survive in the Europa waters. Over time, the modified whales would become their own species as they evolve to the environment on Europa. 

I'm somewhat starting to come onboard the Whales name. Maybe it could be the _________ Whales since the whales on Europa definitely would be different from the ones we know on Earth. Maybe the Ice Whales or Snow Whales or something, but that's too hockey-ish. 

Even then, the name ___________ Whales isn't as eye-popping as I thought it would be. It just happens to be one of the better options right now. I'm still a fan of Apex, like @Darknes suggested. Heck, I wouldn't mind the name Predators too. 

Slightly off-topic: In my old Solar Baseball threads, the team from there was called the Europa Avalanche. But that was before I had the idea of making it to half-tropical, half-ice. It was essentially Planet Hoth, haha.  

You know what. Let's make this a little bit easier (and maybe more realistic). 

When humanity colonized Europa, they put the moon through a heavy terraforming process. After several decades of terraforming, the moon is still mostly ice and snowy, but completely livable. (Think Canada, Sweden, Norway, Russia, etc). However, due to a glitch in the process, nearly 1/5th of the moon became tropical, making it a popular destination for tourism to take in the warm, sunny weather and water activities. You could go snorkeling and see the amazing unearthly sea creatures, then go snowboarding later that evening. Europa City, the largest city and the home of the SLB Expansion Team, sits between the snowy region and the tropical region. 

tl;dr - Europa is basically Planet Hoth, but with a small oasis of tropical paradise. 

5 minutes ago, RoughRiders99 said:

You know what. Let's make this a little bit easier (and maybe more realistic). 

When humanity colonized Europa, they put the moon through a heavy terraforming process. After several decades of terraforming, the moon is still mostly ice and snowy, but completely livable. (Think Canada, Sweden, Norway, Russia, etc). However, due to a glitch in the process, nearly 1/5th of the moon became tropical, making it a popular destination for tourism to take in the warm, sunny weather and water activities. You could go snorkeling and see the amazing unearthly sea creatures, then go snowboarding later that evening. Europa City, the largest city and the home of the SLB Expansion Team, sits between the snowy region and the tropical region. 

tl;dr - Europa is basically Planet Hoth, but with a small oasis of tropical paradise. 

Europa Tauntauns.

Europa Boarders? Covers the snowboard and surfboard in the name.

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Europa Boarders? Covers the snowboard and surfboard in the name.

I like that because they are also on the border of the tropical/snowy parts of the planet. The background is there. I really like animal based names, like what @RoughRiders99 himself said of the predators. I’m wondering what @BellaSpurs has to offer also.

Today while at work, I was thinking about Europa a little more and now it's basically now 4/5 ice and snow, while the other 1/5 is tropical (likely around the equator where it's warmer).

So, with that being said, I would imagine that the scientists made their own version of "Jurassic Park," but based in the Ice Age. So they could have genetically created some old ice age type animals and allowed them to roam in the ice wilderness to in order to study and understand them better. 

So... the Europa Mastodons, anybody!?

tumblr_p0gn3sg1hJ1qcx7gvo1_500.gif 

Or... we keep it more simple and go with an ice-themed team. Other than Europa, I don't think there's any other places in the Solar System that would warrant an ice-themed team, like places such as Minnesota or Colorado would in the real world. 

I think Avalanche could work well, but it's not all that creative. I'm also not a big fan of Boarders, but it is very clever. Mastodons is a step in the right direction, but I'm thinking Mammoths. Similar to Mastodon, but I think Europa Mammoths has a better ring to it. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I think Avalanche could work well, but it's not all that creative. I'm also not a big fan of Boarders, but it is very clever. Mastodons is a step in the right direction, but I'm thinking Mammoths. Similar to Mastodon, but I think Europa Mammoths has a better ring to it. Thoughts?

I'm feeling the same. I love the idea of Boarders, but it just doesn't click for me. Same as Apex. I love it, but it's not clicking. Predators is fine, but a bit generic. However, the ice age is a step in the right direction, IMO. 

I toyed with Mammoths, but I'm in favor of Mastodons. I'm a huge power rangers nerd myself, haha, and I'm sorta already thinking about logos and uniform designs based on the black Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger. Although it may be possible I'll still call the team Mammoths. 

I know this is essentially my project and I could do whatever I want, but I still want people to have some say in it. I'll let this sit for a while before I move on. Just be aware that I'm really liking the Mastodons (or ice age theme) so far.  

This seems kind of interesting. Besides, I think the expansion team should be called the Europa Twins.

Europa Extinction, plays into the Ice Age idea while still going with a sense of predatory nature

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

I'm feeling the same. I love the idea of Boarders, but it just doesn't click for me. Same as Apex. I love it, but it's not clicking. Predators is fine, but a bit generic. However, the ice age is a step in the right direction, IMO. 

This paragraph could not be more accurate to what I think

2 minutes ago, SpartanDesigns said:

This paragraph could not be more accurate to what I think

I agree. And besides, I think what Darknes said might be a fragment. Am I right, SpartanDesigns and RoughRiders99?

It's a little more focused on the cold part of the world, but Europa could also go with Yeti(s) or Orcas. It's pretty obvious what direction Callisto is going (and I have no disagreements).

The Europa Snow Whales, the ice Age made them adapt to a colder climate, shrinking in size to conserve heat, feeding off small fish, shrimps, and planktons. Changing to be able to spend more time underwater. They’ve also grown bigger eyes accustomed to the darker waters as they battle with other creatures for food. They often migrate to warmer waters like current earth whales.

Kinda been busy and made this up sorta on the fly, tell me if it’s any good, and if a fantasy type animal is still in contention.

Some others I’ve seen and liked:

Leviathans

Apex

Predators

Avalanche

Humpbacks

What if instead of Mastadons, what about Megalodons? You can play around with the Shark Teeth and you can probably do some fun stuff with the color scheme.

Mastodons is such an undervalued nickname. I'd be down with the Europa Mastodons... especially if the inspiration was from Power Rangers. :P

10 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

The Europa Snow Whales, the ice Age made them adapt to a colder climate, shrinking in size to conserve heat, feeding off small fish, shrimps, and planktons. Changing to be able to spend more time underwater. They’ve also grown bigger eyes accustomed to the darker waters as they battle with other creatures for food. They often migrate to warmer waters like current earth whales.

Kinda been busy and made this up sorta on the fly, tell me if it’s any good, and if a fantasy type animal is still in contention.

Some others I’ve seen and liked:

Leviathans

Apex

Predators

Avalanche

Humpbacks

Great idea. I like that, mastodons, and the ones on your list