RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2531-33 Season Recaps, Expansion (Io, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) in 2534

Recommended Posts

Hi folks! To do something a little different than what I've done in the past, I've put together an infographic of the four planets/moons that will receive the new SLB expansion teams! Yes, that's right! Four teams! With four teams, that'll bring the league to a total of 20 teams, which is something I've always envisioned when I originally started this project a long time ago. 

 

You can see the four candidates and their information, including photos of what their surface would look like after they've been terraformed. I borrowed several images from some Star Wars planets and some surreal locations on Earth that could look otherworldly.

 

Please click on the image to enlarge it so you can read it better!

 

ki5C6sS.jpg

 

The teams' names will begin with Io, Neptune, and Pluto. I'm happy to discuss, umm, Uranus, because... you know. I don't mind keeping Uranus, but I'm open to the possibility of naming it after the moon they're on or the city where the team will be in (Ursula). As for the Neptune team, I have yet to decide if the team will be on Titania, the planet's largest moon, or on Neptune Station, an orbiting space station with a sea the size of Lake Superior (whoa, sci-fi!).   

 

For reference, in my old Solar Baseball threads I created a while ago, the teams names there were the Io Volancoes, Uranus Blues, Neptune Mariners, and Pluto Demons. But I'm more than happy to change them if there's something better. In fact, I'd prefer to change them, to represent a new "era" for this project. 

 

I can't wait to discuss ideas with you! This is one of my favorite parts of this project, just throwing ideas around here and there about expansion teams! Let's have fun folks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see this back! Amazing work on the graphic too! 

 

Io sounds better as Io City to me atleast? So I would use that volcanoes would be a good name if not for the canyons, two geographical names? It could work, I think you could find something different. Maybe something like Scorchers, Blazers, Flames or Heat, a name based of the incredible temperatures of Io? Maybe Phoenix, there’s a city named that there. Any hints on the fauna? That could be an option.

 

For Neptune something to do with wind maybe? Since it’s windy? Like cyclones or twisters. Maybe Leviathans, it could allude to the size of the lake being leviathan sized or like a scary monster in the lake. A name based of the tourist industry or nice climates and animals that live around there could work too. Mariners could work too!

 

Pluto, I really like demons, underrated team name. Little planet packs a lot of punch with that name.

 

Uranus..err I mean Ursula, yeah Ursula, could be named a spacey theamed name, Ursula is a constellation right? The Ursula Constellations, Cosmos, Stars, something along those lines could really work well. Also maybe something like the northern lights? I know it’s not earth but Ursula Auras sounds pretty cool.

 

Glad to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Glad to see this back! Amazing work on the graphic too! 

 

Io sounds better as Io City to me atleast? So I would use that volcanoes would be a good name if not for the canyons, two geographical names? It could work, I think you could find something different. Maybe something like Scorchers, Blazers, Flames or Heat, a name based of the incredible temperatures of Io? Maybe Phoenix, there’s a city named that there. Any hints on the fauna? That could be an option.

 

For Neptune something to do with wind maybe? Since it’s windy? Like cyclones or twisters. Maybe Leviathans, it could allude to the size of the lake being leviathan sized or like a scary monster in the lake. A name based of the tourist industry or nice climates and animals that live around there could work too. Mariners could work too!

 

Pluto, I really like demons, underrated team name. Little planet packs a lot of punch with that name.

 

Uranus..err I mean Ursula, yeah Ursula, could be named a spacey theamed name, Ursula is a constellation right? The Ursula Constellations, Cosmos, Stars, something along those lines could really work well. Also maybe something like the northern lights? I know it’s not earth but Ursula Auras sounds pretty cool.

 

Glad to help!

 

Thanks! I just basically redid the original infographic that I posted waaaay back in the first one in this thread, haha. 

Io is kinda tough to do without being a little too generic with the heat-themed names. Good idea about the life and fauna. I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with! 

Neptune is almost a no-brainer with either the wind name or water-related names. I like the concept of Mariners or Zephyrs or Tridents. I'm leaning toward having the team based on Neptune Station instead on the moon of Titania anyway. 

A star/space name for Ursula is a fantastic idea. In Latin, if you shorten Ursula to Ursa it means bear. The Ursula Bears would be awesome, but there's already the Cubs, so... we'll see about that. But the Ursula Stars or Constellations (kinda long, isn't it?) could work. Auroras is a very interesting idea and could make for a very colorful team, maybe. 


I named the team from Pluto the Demons in my old projects because of the "seedy underworld dealings" in the mythology of Pluto. I think the Demons and Mariners are the most likely team names to stick, unless something else blows me out of the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean Brass Knuckles, Pluto almost screams for a Brawlers Nickname, you could also go Reapers for Pluto

Io Dredgers or Sappers for the whole mining identity of the moon perhaaps

What about Uranus Gems or  Jewels to reflect the diamond rain on the moon or you could do a play on words and do the Ursula Majors

Neptune Dreadnoughts? Or what about an underrated part of Poseidons' Lore and go with like Mustangs or Broncos since he made the first horse out of water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be fun...

 

Io: Since this moon is so geologically active, something like Volcanoes or Flames or Heat would be a great idea. Also with this idea: Underground stadium. Have the lava flows be in the background similar to how the Capital is in the background at Nationals Park.

 

Neptune: I feel that the name is going to depend on where the team is located. If it's in Neptune Station, then Lakers is my choice since it is home to the largest land made lake in the entire system. If the team is on Triton, then the name should be ice related (Chill, Blizzard, etc.) to connect with how cold that moon is.

 

Uranus: Since Titania is the main base for most of the major mining operations that deliver water to other reaches of the solar system, I think Miners would work here.

 

Pluto: The team is in Brass Knuckles... it is screaming for a nickname like Brawlers. It also works in the way that life of Pluto requires one to be able to brawl at a minute's notice, kind of the Wild West.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pluto team could have an alternate BK (non Burger King!) cap logo for Brass Knuckles much like the Minnesota Twins and their TC logo. 

 

Dredgers sounds quite interesting. I'm really liking it so far. 

Majors is an awesome idea! I don't think there's a military themed team in the SLB yet. 

 

Going with a land-based animal for a water-based planet would be an interesting way to subvert trope. 

Lots to think about! Keep them coming! I'm liking these ideas so far! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

This could be fun...

 

Io: Since this moon is so geologically active, something like Volcanoes or Flames or Heat would be a great idea. Also with this idea: Underground stadium. Have the lava flows be in the background similar to how the Capital is in the background at Nationals Park.

 

Neptune: I feel that the name is going to depend on where the team is located. If it's in Neptune Station, then Lakers is my choice since it is home to the largest land made lake in the entire system. If the team is on Triton, then the name should be ice related (Chill, Blizzard, etc.) to connect with how cold that moon is.

  

Uranus: Since Titania is the main base for most of the major mining operations that deliver water to other reaches of the solar system, I think Miners would work here.

 

Pluto: The team is in Brass Knuckles... it is screaming for a nickname like Brawlers. It also works in the way that life of Pluto requires one to be able to brawl at a minute's notice, kind of the Wild West.

 

Would it be the Pluto Brawlers or Brass Knuckle Brawlers? I'm leaning toward the former. An underground stadium for Io is probably a must, but still somehow has breathtaking views of the volcanic planet. With this project sci-fi, with enough handwaving, anything is possible! As for Neptune, I'm heavily leaning toward Neptune Station. Titania could be a potential expansion team WAAAY down the road. Uranus Miners.... lol. Titania Miners doesn't sound too shabby. My concern is that Titania is too close to Titan (Saturn's moon). 

Also, are you from Iowa? I looked at your signature and you had some fantasy team from Iowa. Just wondering!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoughRiders99 said:

 

Would it be the Pluto Brawlers or Brass Knuckle Brawlers? I'm leaning toward the former. An underground stadium for Io is probably a must, but still somehow has breathtaking views of the volcanic planet. With this project sci-fi, with enough handwaving, anything is possible! As for Neptune, I'm heavily leaning toward Neptune Station. Titania could be a potential expansion team WAAAY down the road. Uranus Miners.... lol. Titania Miners doesn't sound too shabby. My concern is that Titania is too close to Titan (Saturn's moon). 

Also, are you from Iowa? I looked at your signature and you had some fantasy team from Iowa. Just wondering!  

 

Used to live in Iowa. I'm originally from (and currently living) in Washington state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

Used to live in Iowa. I'm originally from (and currently living) in Washington state.

 

Nice! I'm from Iowa myself too. Still live there. 

Anyway, if it helps, I'm also open to the idea of coming up with original creatures/animals that's indigenous to each planets/moons, and give them a made-up name, much like these Star  Wars animals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another idea for Neptune would be Quakes or Aftershocks given Poseidon was also Lord of Earthquakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are my favorites so far:

Io

Dredgers

Miners

 

Ursula

Bears

Star Bears

Majors

Auroras

 

Neptune

Mariners

Dreadnoughts/Destroyers

 

Pluto

Demons

Brawlers

 

They all are, of course, subject to change! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I don't really have many concrete ideas for this, but for Io, I keep coming back to computers - I/O stands for input/output and IO also looks like binary. Similar to how the .io TLD was used by open source programmers and video game designers, I feel like Io could be a technology hotspot. I'm not sure how technology has evolved over 500 years, but maybe something like Circuits or Cyborgs could be a place to start?

 

I also wouldn't shy away from using Uranus as a place name. At this point, humanity has lived with that name for over 750 years, so I don't see why you couldn't use it for a baseball team. Plus, maybe people have started pronouncing it - well, I guess more like "urine" than "anus" (maybe I'm not helping here). Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starlight, wisdom above all.

 

lo Sunchasers

 

Uranus Titans or Miners

 

Neptune Blues, Frozen Blues or Ice Giants

 

Pluto New Horizons, Xers or Outbounders

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

How does the Pluto Brass Knuckles sound to everybody? Too minor league-ish? 

 

It's more confusing then anything. Do they play on Pluto? Brass Knuckles is the capital city, yet the nickname... it sounds confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanna say that I'm really glad you're back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You definitely need to keep the "Mariners" for Neptune. It's a no-brainer.

 

How about the Pluto Dogs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love a sea/storm team for Neptune. 

 

I like the Volcanoes idea for Io. 

 

 

Definetly miners for Uranus. 

 

 

Pluto the god had a three headed dog guarding the entrance to the underworld, so how about the Pluto Hounds? You could even go double meaning with Pluto the Disney character dog! 

 

Also, glad to have you back! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody for helping out! I've narrowed a few down to my favorites, and these are the names that I most likely will be using for Neptune and Pluto: 

Neptune

Mariners

 

I really want to use the Seahawks/Timberwolves color scheme for them, but I'm afraid it might be too close to the Seattle Mariners' color scheme though. 

 

Pluto

Brawlers

Hounds / Dogs

 

I'm feeling black, red, and old gold (brass) color scheme for this team... maybe. 

 

Ursula (capital city of Uranus) and Io are still wide open though. I'll look around at various sports logos and see if I can come up with some ideas.

 

I'm still a fan of Bears and Majors for Ursula though. I would love to do an actual space-based set for Ursula. I don't think there's too many space-based scheme in this league already. The reason why I'm a fan of the Bears because in Latin, Ursa means bear, and Ursa Major is a constellation of a bear too. It just fits really well, IMO. I know there's already the Cubs, but if MLB can have the White Sox and Red Sox, I don't see why SLB can't have something similar too. Miners is a candidate for sure too. Just need to look around.  

 

 @ItDoesntMatter had a fantastic idea of using some kind of a tech theme for Io due to the location name looking like a binary langauge. But it might be difficult to come up with something like that. EDIT: I might have a concept brewing around in my head, but I'll have to sit on it for a little bit first.  

So I suppose what I'm asking for is if you have an idea of how a team would look like for Io and Ursula in terms of color scheme, tone (aggressive, traditional, or modern type logos), etc etc. 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now