RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2531-33 Season Recaps, Expansion (Io, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) in 2534

I love Ursula Majors. I think that it's a unique nickname that lends itself to two interpretations: you could go with a military theme or a constellation theme, so I'd recommend that one. For Io, I have no idea. But I think a tech nickname is the right path. Also, Neptune Mariners sounds great, and a navy with "action green" or whatever would be a sick color scheme. Finally, I'd recommend Pluto Hounds over both Brawlers and Dogs. Brawlers sounds minor league-ish and Hounds sounds more aggressive than Dogs. Excellent work, and I'd so glad you back!

I would avoid miners because the belters already use the pickaxes and stuff. Urusula could play off of Uranus’ Greek deity status aswell, Father Sky? Something based around the sky maybe. A bird or storm or something. I really like the space idea for them. I’m personally not sold on the ideas for bears. It’s not the most unique name and there’s already the cubs. So I’d try a more unique name that make, like Majors, it’s a name when said people will Immediately think of them, like when you say Knicks or Maple Leafs, you automatically think of those teams.

Io should go the tech route. For most the same reasons as Ursula.

Pluto, Brawlers sounds too good. Hounds also sound good.

I like Mariners for Neptune, my only fear it may be too close to the Islanders, but im confident you’ll find a way to separate them!

10 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I love Ursula Majors. I think that it's a unique nickname that lends itself to two interpretations: you could go with a military theme or a constellation theme, so I'd recommend that one. For Io, I have no idea. But I think a tech nickname is the right path. Also, Neptune Mariners sounds great, and a navy with "action green" or whatever would be a sick color scheme. Finally, I'd recommend Pluto Hounds over both Brawlers and Dogs. Brawlers sounds minor league-ish and Hounds sounds more aggressive than Dogs. Excellent work, and I'd so glad you back!

Thanks! Excited to be back!

And I think we're getting warmer with Ursula! Majors with a space theme scheme would be fantastic.

I agree about the Brawlers. It's a GREAT AAA team name, while the Pluto Brass Knuckles is like a Low-A type team name. So it'll likely be the Hounds. 

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a tech theme for Io. It's just the matter of finding the right nickname for it, and the color scheme that fits technology and the volcanic activity of the moon. 

Mariners is pretty easy to figure out, so I'm not going to dive (pun unintended?) into that one now. 

2 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I would avoid miners because the belters already use the pickaxes and stuff. Urusula could play off of Uranus’ Greek deity status aswell, Father Sky? Something based around the sky maybe. A bird or storm or something. I really like the space idea for them. I’m personally not sold on the ideas for bears. It’s not the most unique name and there’s already the cubs. So I’d try a more unique name that make, like Majors, it’s a name when said people will Immediately think of them, like when you say Knicks or Maple Leafs, you automatically think of those teams.

Io should go the tech route. For most the same reasons as Ursula.

Pluto, Brawlers sounds too good. Hounds also sound good.

I like Mariners for Neptune, my only fear it may be too close to the Islanders, but im confident you’ll find a way to separate them!

I didn't see this until I made this post! I was thinking the same thing for the Miners and Belters. Too similar to each other. And yes, I'll make sure the Mariners are different enough from the Islanders! Mariners likely would be more boat-based, while the Islanders are, what else, lol, island-based. And it seems like we're all on board for the tech theme for Io. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2018 at 6:43 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

Thanks everybody for helping out! I've narrowed a few down to my favorites, and these are the names that I most likely will be using for Neptune and Pluto: 

Neptune

Mariners

I really want to use the Seahawks/Timberwolves color scheme for them, but I'm afraid it might be too close to the Seattle Mariners' color scheme though. 

Pluto

Brawlers

Hounds / Dogs

I'm feeling black, red, and old gold (brass) color scheme for this team... maybe. 

Ursula (capital city of Uranus) and Io are still wide open though. I'll look around at various sports logos and see if I can come up with some ideas.

I'm still a fan of Bears and Majors for Ursula though. I would love to do an actual space-based set for Ursula. I don't think there's too many space-based scheme in this league already. The reason why I'm a fan of the Bears because in Latin, Ursa means bear, and Ursa Major is a constellation of a bear too. It just fits really well, IMO. I know there's already the Cubs, but if MLB can have the White Sox and Red Sox, I don't see why SLB can't have something similar too. Miners is a candidate for sure too. Just need to look around.  

@ItDoesntMatter had a fantastic idea of using some kind of a tech theme for Io due to the location name looking like a binary langauge. But it might be difficult to come up with something like that. EDIT: I might have a concept brewing around in my head, but I'll have to sit on it for a little bit first.  

So I suppose what I'm asking for is if you have an idea of how a team would look like for Io and Ursula in terms of color scheme, tone (aggressive, traditional, or modern type logos), etc etc. 

Thanks!!

I would go with Vulcans for Io, given that it ties in with both the mining industry and Io's volcanic environment. Colors: Red, Creamsicle Orange, and Graphite Gray.

Uranus (or Ursula) would go with either Stars (Uranus) or (Ursula) Majors, playing off the constellation. Colors: Teal, Black, and (Metallic) Gold.

If the Neptune team is placed on Triton, I'd go with Retros, owing to the fact that Triton orbits Neptune in a clockwise (retrograde) fashion. Colors would be Purple and Teal, as in 1990s retro.

If we get Neptune proper instead of Triton, I'd go with Mariners, going with the colors Blue and either Yellow or Neon Green and Northwest Green (AKA the Seattle Mariners' teal) trim.

As for Pluto, I'd go with Brawlers as a team name. Colors: Maroon, Indigo, and Light Blue.

In short, you could do something along the lines of the current Mariners or Jacksonville Jaguars' colors for Uranus (or Ursula) with some gold thrown in and the old Mariners' colors for Neptune proper (possibly with some green/teal thrown in, or just go with Blue/Green like the Seattle Seahwaks' old colors). I still like the idea of the Triton Retros donning Purple and Teal (retro in a 1990s way) should they land the team. Pluto could be like the Maroon/Light Blue Phillies (as the Brawlers name could fit with those colors).

Edited by DustDevil61
Color ideas added, retrograde

Personally Ursula could go with a double blue. A combination of sky blue (since Uranus originates from 'ouranos', meaning sky) and mid-blue, with gold accents - similar colours to the Kansas City Royals.

Actually what about the Pluto Shepherds, a bit of a dual meaning with it being a dog type and secondly it's a reference to Charon, the one who guides the souls down the River Styx in a bid to draw in fans from Charon?

Just thought I'd give everybody an update!

I'm currently working on the wordmarks for the Neptune Mariners and the Pluto Hounds/Shepherds.

When I'm done with those, then I'll shift my focus to the Ursula Majors of Uranus (space-themed scheme) and then finally Io. I'm still going back and forth on names for Io. I love the ideas of Vulcans, and I also love the concept of a tech-based theme as well. Just need to research more to find a happy medium.   

THEN...when I'm done with the wordmarks, I'll try my best to create an actual logo for them. Creating an imagery logo (such as faces, animals, etc) is always hard for me since I'm not exactly a "freehand" artist! 

Thanks! 

49 minutes ago, RoughRiders99 said:

I love the ideas of Vulcans, and I also love the concept of a tech-based theme as well. Just need to research more to find a happy medium.

Could always go with the Star Trek-inspired version of Vulcan. Spock wielding a giant hammer like a baseball bat would make an awesome secondary.